Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to move my 03 800 twin today and saw a puddle under it. I opened the hood and soon found that the oil tank had leaked out to just below the line where the upper and lower halves join together. Needless to say i was more than a lil PO'D having lost half a tank of amsoil and worse yet having to clean this mess under the hood! My question is this, ive always seen, heard, and had a crappy oil cap on that tank, but ive yet to see or hear of them leaking mid tank....? I ditch bang a bit and always pound through the trails but still would have expected to see this in the last couple years. Anyways, im now in search of a replacement tank so if anyone has me please get a hold of me ASAP! My email is [email protected] or call my cell phone 607-227-2981

·
Registered
314 Posts
That sucks. I don't have an answer as to where to get it other than the dealer. Now that I think about it try snowmobile salvage places. One I know of is in Wisconsin I believe. It is Central Snowmobile Salvage.

Here is the link:
Central snowmobile

I thought maybe it was just my oil tank that sucked. I have an '05 800 xc with a poop oil tank. The dang filler neck on the tank is egg shaped and the cap does not fit tightly. I think the tolerances are way off. If you tighten the cap anything past barely snug then it starts to crossthread itself and set crooked. Therefore oil leaks out. Heck it pretty much leaks out anyway. Is this a common problem among the edge sleds?

·
Registered
527 Posts
mine has cracked on my 01 right where the two halfs are molded together. my temp fix to this is only fill the oil tank at the start of your ride, after about 100miles the oil level should be below the molded part, so it never leaks while sitting. over the summer im going to be taking in out and buying a new one, or get the warrenty work done if polaris sent out a sevice recall about it.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
ive always seen, heard, and had a crappy oil cap on that tank,[/b]

I thought maybe it was just my oil tank that sucked. I have an '05 800 xc with a poop oil tank. The dang filler neck on the tank is egg shaped and the cap does not fit tightly. I think the tolerances are way off. If you tighten the cap anything past barely snug then it starts to crossthread itself and set crooked. Therefore oil leaks out. Heck it pretty much leaks out anyway. Is this a common problem among the edge sleds?
[/b]
My 04 is egged too,doesn't leak but must be tightend with care.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mine has cracked on my 01 right where the two halfs are molded together. my temp fix to this is only fill the oil tank at the start of your ride, after about 100miles the oil level should be below the molded part, so it never leaks while sitting. over the summer im going to be taking in out and buying a new one, or get the warrenty work done if polaris sent out a sevice recall about it.[/b]
hard enough getting warranty on a new sled.cant believe they would ever warranty a 2001.best of luck.i better check mine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i didnt waste any time, i just took mine out. ive got two other sleds ready to ride if it should happen to snow. it only took maybe 15 minutes to get it out anyways. cleanup is the timely part. Called the sled shed, they dont have one in stock so im hoping to find one somewhere on here or over at snowest.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Try e-bay to look for a tank,you may have to look for awhile but eventually youèll get one.As for the caps that LEAK"""you have to trim the oil reservoir about 1é8 È to make the caps sit flush(this is why they leak)"""MAKE SURE YOU GET NO FILINGS INTO THE OIL'''use an exacto (thick blade with no break off bladesésolid type)and take your time...little bits @ a time till you get the cap to sit right.Wear eye protection and watch those fingers as exactos are sharp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yeah mine $hit the bed aswell, works fine as long as I have about 2.5 litres of oil instead of 4. I called my dealer and they told me $300 CDN, but I found one at a wreckers for $120.

Also the oil that had collected(not alot by any stretch) in the belly pan ignited after laying a good hard 2 minute wide open beating on my sled and then coming to a stop, so make sure you get the excess oil cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Some of the 01's had the seam leak problem. I don't fill mine past the seam same as xltier. The air box/oil resevoir on an 01 is all one piece. I think they changed the design in 02. Peace,beeler

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ebay doesnt have any listed. no way i would pay 120$ for one. Dealer quoted me around 90 new before my discount. I just want one in a hurry and am hoping someone parting out will chime in soon.!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still lookin for one guys....if anyone has one please let me know asap. Ive had a few replies but nobody has come through with pictures or returned emails after the first contact.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Try e-bay to look for a tank,you may have to look for awhile but eventually youèll get one.As for the caps that LEAK"""you have to trim the oil reservoir about 1é8 È to make the caps sit flush(this is why they leak)"""MAKE SURE YOU GET NO FILINGS INTO THE OIL'''use an exacto (thick blade with no break off bladesésolid type)and take your time...little bits @ a time till you get the cap to sit right.Wear eye protection and watch those fingers as exactos are sharp.[/b]
I tried that a few weeks ago,I also lightly heated the top of the tank with a heat gun to make it pliable then put the cap on that I left outside in 15 degree temp to seal it.

No more egg shape,no more leak,tightens down correctly now.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I tried that a few weeks ago,I also lightly heated the top of the tank with a heat gun to make it pliable then put the cap on that I left outside in 15 degree temp to seal it.

No more egg shape,no more leak,tightens down correctly now.[/b]

Did that a couple years ago and all is still good.

My grommet for oil line on tank bottom started to leak bad this year. Fixed it with new updated part and silicon and hopefully never again- a real PITA job.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Did that a couple years ago and all is still good.[/b]
Gotta love a cheap fix,I wasn't thrilled at all about changing that tank just because the cap leaked a little/didn't seat right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an air box/oil tank from a 2001 Edge that I don't need. It's the complete air box/tank with the top and baffel plate.It will fit 2001 and 2002 Edge If someone whats to buy it make me an offer, PM me and give me your number I'll give ya a call. I live in the Hayward Wi area

1 - 17 of 17 Posts