Hardcore Sledder banner

03 Pro X Needle Spacer?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  xc-mark 
#1 · (Edited)
Full disclosure, I've been chasing a stumble for a long time, blew up a motor (they need oil?) put a different motor in, jetted for the mountains, took the motor out and sold the sled it came in, rebuilt the motor, jetted for the flatlands, tried to put some 02 Edge carbs on, replaced the TPS etc Etc ETc ETC ETC

My last ride it was "burbling" in the midrange and I was dumping fuel into the motor. 6 MPG?

I think I tracked it down.

Are there supposed to be little plastic washers/spacers under the needle clips of a STOCK 03 ProX 700? I think I may have gotten them from the 02 when I was swapping parts around.

Where do you guys run your needle clips?

My chart shows clip on the middle setting.

I left the spacers and raised the clip one notch and it ran much better and the fuel economy came back to almost normal.
Automotive tire Helmet Tire Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2071626&stc=1&d=1579642150

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Are there supposed to be little plastic washers/spacers under the needle clips of a STOCK 03 ProX 700? I think I may have gotten them from the 02 when I was swapping parts around.
I though all the liberty twins had those plastic washers to dampen wear /vibration for the e-clips.
The online parts diagram for the 03 pro-x shows the washers under the clips

not so familiar with the 03 pro-x carb settings but I recall it was similar to the xc's? the 03's got much richer needles than the 02 had. What do you run for mains?
Also IIRC, the washers was roughly 3/4 of a needle position in thickness

#3 ·
I'm going to have to double check the needles to make sure I didn't do something stupid there.

I'm running 420 mains. It's gotten 10 mpg for 16 years until two weeks ago. But again, I changed everything some at the same time. Dropping that needle one notch (clip on second from top) made a night and day difference.

Trying to be thankful it runs good now but flustered I can't figure out the root cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.