Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove 2 hrs up to NH to ride. Started the sled up and it sounded a bit odd. So I started riding it and first noticed that the rpm gauge is bouncing all over the place....like saying 9000 rpm when its more like 2000-3000 etc. So I opened the hood and checked a bunch of the connectors, which didn't do anything. So I tried going a bit and it has no power, can't even come close to spinning the track. Feels like it almost surges a bit, but it may be the clutch just opening up. Sounds like its in safe mode?
Anyone have any clue whats going on? I took all the connectors off and cleaned/di-electric greased them after my ride 2 weeks ago when the hot light came on for no apparent reason...oh and the hot light went away after I cleaned the connectors.
Its an 03 F7 EFI with around 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your main ground[/b]
Where is the main ground on this sled?
I tested the AC voltage at the high beam headlight, like the service manual says. At idle I was getting around 12.2 volts and as I revved it up (can't see what rpm I'm at...maybe 3000-4000 ish by sound) the voltage was going down to around 7ish. The manual says I should get around 12 to 14.2 volts at 3000 rpm and to replace the voltage regulator if you get over 14.2 volts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Drove 2 hrs up to NH to ride. Started the sled up and it sounded a bit odd. So I started riding it and first noticed that the rpm gauge is bouncing all over the place....like saying 9000 rpm when its more like 2000-3000 etc. So I opened the hood and checked a bunch of the connectors, which didn't do anything. So I tried going a bit and it has no power, can't even come close to spinning the track. Feels like it almost surges a bit, but it may be the clutch just opening up. Sounds like its in safe mode?
Anyone have any clue whats going on? I took all the connectors off and cleaned/di-electric greased them after my ride 2 weeks ago when the hot light came on for no apparent reason...oh and the hot light went away after I cleaned the connectors.
Its an 03 F7 EFI with around 1500 miles on it.[/b]
Did you check for chaffed wires?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you check for chaffed wires?[/b]
I searched around and will again when its light out tomorrow. I unplugged and replugged all the harness connectors I could find. Got the rpm gauge to idle normal and rev up normal with the hood closed after. Then I opened the hood abouut 15 min later and tried again and the RPM gauge is all over the place once again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts