Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for what was supposed to be an awesome ride and about 7 miles in to it a vibration sound started. Stopped open the hood and it was comin from the recoil, tried to drive to a shack but didn'y get there. It completely stopped once then started again but the sound got louder. Stopped took the recoil off and it seemed alright, started it back up again with the recoil off but the sound was grinding in behind the stator. Any suggestions what it might be?? Looks like its gonna be a big bill $$$ probably!!! Thanks! PB

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
probly parts of the recoil got in there and chewed up. when my buddys recoil came loose on his ZRT it chewed it and and trashed the stator. this is exactly why i pulled my recoil off and loctited the sucker on there, cats are known for recoils coming loose...

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,546 Posts
Are you sure on the location, could be as simple as the bands that hold the heat shield on the exhaust. If they are loose they can make a racket.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Maybe the stator is about to grenade. Had that happen on my ZR800, friggin blew the stator out thru the recoil, grenaded the recoil(blew it right off the motor!) and even put little dents in the silencer. It gave no warning though. Just a thought. If you pull the plugs and manually rotate the clutch do you feel anything strange? You also may have broken a piston skirt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I hate to tell you but... could be the crank bearing let loose on that side and spit balls or a retainer into the rotor / stator. Does it idle high ? It will also cause a major air leak into the bottom end and of course lots of grinding.

This can happen if that bearing dried out, got pitted over summer, and overheated to failure.

This cost me 1 piston, 1 rotor, 1 stator, 3 new bearings on the crank, lots of crank work, ~ $1800 not on a F7 though, a 711 black magic invader engine.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found out the problem, took it all apart tonight and the exhaust side piston is cracked. The pot is a little scorned but a friend said it shoud be okay compared to what his 03' did. Two little pieces of the bottom corner of the piston broke off. Now the question is...... Do I buy 2 new pistons because its apart and just flush it out like crazy and hope those little tiny pieces come out??? Or pull the whole motor out???? Personally I like the first answer. Anyone else have any suggestions!! Thanks. PB

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Found out the problem, took it all apart tonight and the exhaust side piston is cracked. The pot is a little scorned but a friend said it shoud be okay compared to what his 03' did. Two little pieces of the bottom corner of the piston broke off. Now the question is...... Do I buy 2 new pistons because its apart and just flush it out like crazy and hope those little tiny pieces come out??? Or pull the whole motor out???? Personally I like the first answer. Anyone else have any suggestions!! Thanks. PB[/b]
I think I would spend the time now instead of possibly going through this again. Unless you know the pieces got spit out I would find them. Take motor out split crank case and inspect. But easy for me to say I guess I would have the time as no snow in Ontario...you are in Manitoba I think and there is snow. It's a crap shoot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.