Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get the shocks rebuilt, put new bushings and pins in the weights, replace the primary and secondary spring, clean up the valves, and of course grease everything and generally check everything over for obvious problems.

Anything else for preventative maintenance serice at 4000 miles?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
yeah they are sealed, but they are repackable.... i have my skid out right now and with 1700 miles on the sled the skid would hardly roll along the ground, so i repacked all of them with wheel bearing grease! i suggest you try it!
all you need is a snap ring pliers to get at the seal then pry the seal out with a dentist pricker, haha, thats what i used anyways. spray all the rust and crap out with rust pentrant or something of the sort, then fill them with grease, put the seal back in and put the snap ring back in place! it only took me about an hour to do all of mine!

·
Registered
250 Posts
You should think about replacing the drive and jack shaft bushings as well. My drive shaft bushing went with about 3,000 miles. This is a common problem on the 2003's.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
if you find a real bad idler bearing, don't bother buying a new arctic cat one, they are cheap, i've been doing my bearings every year, and find a couple that aren't worth repacking.

FF

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by joejoeragu@Sep 21 2005, 11:57 AM
You should think about replacing the drive and jack shaft bushings as well.  My drive shaft bushing went with about 3,000 miles.  This is a common problem on the 2003's.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=885328
[/quote]

I upgraded my chaincase bearings to the 04 models, so hopefully I shouldn't have to worry about that. I guess I could do the one behind the clutch for good measure.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Originally posted by joejoeragu@Sep 21 2005, 12:57 PM
You should think about replacing the drive and jack shaft bushings as well.  My drive shaft bushing went with about 3,000 miles.  This is a common problem on the 2003's.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=885328
[/quote]
The speedo side driveshaft bearing often fails by 3000. I replace driveshaft
bearings by 3000 or less. Rebuild shocks by 2000 or less. Common on all
ZRs. The PTO side jackshaft is greaseable from 2001 and up. Replace the
two in the chaincase and the speedo driveshaft.

·
Registered
927 Posts
top end rebuild? pistons and gaskets!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by user2@Sep 21 2005, 05:51 PM
The speedo side driveshaft bearing often fails by 3000. I replace driveshaft
bearings by 3000 or less. Rebuild shocks by 2000 or less. Common on all
ZRs. The PTO side jackshaft is greaseable from 2001 and up. Replace the
two in the chaincase and the speedo driveshaft.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=885965
[/quote]

That jackshaft bearing is not greasable on the FireCat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts