Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a zr 800, and i was wondering how people honestly think they stack up against a xc 800, i have had 2 edge's and when i had my 03' my friend had a 04' z570, and i liked the way my polaris handled more then the z570, so i was wondering if the handeling would be better on the zr.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
I like em so much that I'm on my third '02ZR800cce edition...............current one has been upped to a 900. Best all around sled I've ever owned. Big torque / big H/P and some how it manages stellar fuel mileage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine is a 2003 Sno Pro but basically the same sled. Sled Head summed it up perfectly! :beerchug:

If I had the choice of ANY new sled today, I would look for a new ZR 900 or good used ZR 800 or 900 CC / Sno Pro! LOVE THIS SLED!!!! :div20:
[attachment=279922:Resized_ZR_for_web.JPG]

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
A friend of mine got an 02 XC800 the same year I got my ZR. We used to switch off now and again, and race now and again too. Most times the ZR came out on top. He used to agree too. He also tended to like the way mine handled too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the best features are the wide running boards and the handlebars.. :div20:[/b]

In addition to airbourne's comments the fuel mileage and torque are wicked...my sled is clutched with a can and reeds, it pulls like a scared bear!

My previous sled was an 00' 700 XC (Gen II) - completely stock...it cornered much better than my ZR, but I think this is due to many factors - 136 extension and new ripsaw 1.1/4 track, clutched, etc on the ZR makes it hook up like mad...so giving it just a little bit of throttle makes it take off. The 700 XC was like riding a dirt bike in comparison...I could come into corners a little too fast and with some body english and braking not have anything to worry about, likewise I could gas it in the apex of a corner with no worries - not so with the ZR.

Was the XC 700 a great sled? - Yes.
Would I go back to that sled? - no way....ZR makes me giggle in my helmet every time I push the happy lever!

Snow already EH

Cha

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
A ZR IMO makes an OK rider a great rider!

When my wife went from her Thundercat to her ZR900 it was like riding with the boys again. :div20: I sold my Thundercat to get my 2002 ZR8 and she kept hers. I finally convinced her to switch to a 2004 ZR900efi. WOW! Could she ride then. She always rode good, but was handicapped with a 600# Thunderkitty.

If I was to ever buy sleds again, I would hunt down a low mileage ZR sled. They will always be my favorite. FWIW, I have plenty to compare to. Polaris, (owned) Yammi (switched with a guy for a while), Doo (MXZ 670 with M-10 and 140 hp, rode for 7000 miles and other Cats (Owned Thundercats and other ZRs) . The first time out with my 2002 ZR8 my buddy said I was riding much quicker than the season before. And he had ridden with alot. That was impressive since it was the first ride of the season that year, and on that sled for the first time.

ZRs RULE :banana:

cha, I think you're right about the 136", a ZR should handle much better then you describe, probably pushing now with the longer track. Try tightening up the front ski springs, go up one on the clicker on those at the same time, down one on the front skid clicker, and let the Dial Adjust out until the knob is loose and then back in one turn.

Last resort if you still aren't happy with cornering is change the skis to something more aggressive to compensate for the 136".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Like everyone said, great sled, but be warned that they come stock with junk rear springs and the dial adjust needs to be rebuilt every seasone depending on how much riding you do. Other than that, it is a great sled. But if you dont want to go through the trouble of changing the springs, I'd probably go with a normal ZR or a snow pro. Check out these posts on the forum. I changed my springs and I love it.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...p;#entry1156698

Hope this helps.

Brian

·
Registered
300 Posts
cha, I live in ST.Joachim, I want to make mine into a long track, what did you all have to buy, is there a kit, email me at [email protected][/b]
There are a couple of posts about that process on here, just do a search and I think you will find everything you need. I followed Beagle1's posts as he was doing it, I think that is the sled Cha has now and he seems as knowledgeable and meticulous as anyone I have seen so far. Looks great doesn't it. I think that will be next years project for me.

I think his kit is from Tracks USA

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There are a couple of posts about that process on here, just do a search and I think you will find everything you need. I followed Beagle1's posts as he was doing it, I think that is the sled Cha has now and he seems as knowledgeable and meticulous as anyone I have seen so far. Looks great doesn't it. I think that will be next years project for me.

I think his kit is from Tracks USA[/b]
Thanks for the compliments. It's really to bad I never got to see how my work paid off :bye:

Worked my AZZ of on that thing making sure it was p-e-r-f-e-c-t. Don't know any other way.

Here's a link to my thread when I was done:

136" install

1 - 20 of 22 Posts