Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 ZR 600 CC efi, I rode last weekend with no problems, it was around zero, but I took it easy all day until the sled warmed up. Well I took it for a quick spin (about 1 mile) friday around the house. Saturday we went riding (after letting the sled warm up for 10 min.) and the sled seemed to be running on only 1 cylinder. Changed plugs twice, no good. I also noticed a little oil seeping out the right side nut on the base. I brought it to Sun & Snow first thing and lucky me a factory rep was there. He loosened the nut put it back on and said the sled runs fine. He held the throttle wide open then jammed on the brakes. Not wanting to argue I took the sled home (the factory rep should know what he is talking about, right?) Well same thing, I get 1/2 throttle and there is NO power, the sled sounds like it is breaking up. Any thoughts or past experiences? I have isopopyl in the gas with 3/4 of a tank, both plugs are getting spark, the right side, (the one with the oil leaking out of the nut) the plug is black, while the clutch side is pefectly tan. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would those stick all the sudden? I hope I didn't blow it up. It runs fine on the jackstand, but once there is pressure on the track no luck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
they could stick all of a sudden, that would be the first thing i would look at, take them apart and clean then and try it see if it makes a difference...

·
Registered
978 Posts
did they fix the power valves from 01? i know that the 01 600's stuck alot
but if they didn't do nething to fix them they are stuck

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using the APV synthetic oil. Would stuck valves make it run like it has a blown cylinder? At low speeds (10 -20 mph) it seems fine, but when I crack the throttle it spits, skips, sputters and braks up.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
F250-Their not as much problem as eairler models but you may have saftey switch problem. While its on the stand pull the throttle at different angles to see if it wants to cut out a little bit. Another thing switch the spark plug leads around to see if the problem jumps to the other cylinder. Also sometimes a coil will work fine on a cool engine and fail when the engine comes up to temp and then test good when the engine cools down. If you cant get the problem fixed I would find a dealer that has a place to test run the sled or at least has a dyno. A blown motor will usually show dry white or grey on the plugs. While its running shoot some hot-shot by the loose bolt if it picks up rpm you have a leak there.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by F250@Jan 27 2003, 12:24 PM
I am using the APV synthetic oil. Would stuck valves make it run like it has a blown cylinder? At low speeds (10 -20 mph) it seems fine, but when I crack the throttle it spits, skips, sputters and braks up.
Sound exactly like what a stuck valve would do. The Cat APV oil is famous for gumming up the power valves. If it was me I would pull the valves and clean them.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by arcticrider600@Jan 27 2003, 11:43 AM
did they fix the power valves from 01? i know that the 01 600's stuck alot
but if they didn't do nething to fix them they are stuck
The problem in 01 was the oil, not the valves.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only problem my 01 was the srvo crapped out, the sled seemed fine a little slow in mid until the valves forced themselves open at WOT then holly $hit did it go. I did check the valves 400 miles ago they were moving fine, I also adjusted cables. It is at the dealer now, no sense in banging my head against the wall with a 2 yr. warranty. What I don't understand is why the oil is bubbling out the nut on the base of the jug?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have to hand it to you, it was a stuck exhaust valve, frayed cable, and also disconnected from the servo because it was stuck. I was told to use amsoil spray foam, just spray it in and run it. Have any of you used it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts