Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZR is not quite right these days. Ran great all last year. The third time it was out this year it stalled while my friend was riding it. That was before we had even left our drop point. It didnt want to start. I finally got it started after I changed the original plugs out for some new ones. Ran fine for a while. It was raining a bit though. We stopped at a bar. After a few hours we left and it was hard starting again. rode for about 45 mintues and again it stalled. It only stalled at low speed. I tried getting her started and she wouldnt stay running. It sometimes sounded like the kill switch or something was pushed. I was thinking that water was making some kind of connection and killing the motor. the cover around the steering stem was missing so water could have been getting on the connectors. Also in my attempts it would backfire sometimes. Seemed to be getting fuel. When I finally got it started I told him to take off. It ran the last ten minutes back to the truck. He was afraid to let the revs drop so he rode it harder for the last ten minutes. I tried it out like a week later with no rain and it still wasnt right. Was some ice on a wire connector though. A few days ago my brother brought it in a heated garage to melt any ice and dry it out. That didnt help. He pulled the power valves and said they looked pretty nasty. Cleaned them and that didnt do the trick. I think its something electrical myself. I run AC Synthetic APV oil. It has about 580 miles on it. Anyone have any knowledge to share? This sled was supposed to be old faithful, and be backup to my new F-7 in case I have issues. I wanted to ensure I have something to ride. Now I think I need an F-6 for backup and get the ZR fixed and get rid of it. I loved the sled last year, but I like the ride and power on the F-7 better. I mostly have been using the ZR 600 for a buddy sled for friends or family who dont have one. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I brought it to the dealer and we analyzed it with the computer. Said there was an APV problem, some voltage thing was to high (he fixed), and something Over Lamp. He wasnt sure what that was. He was real busy doing updates to the firecats and so he didnt have time to spend. After he adjusted the voltage thing it ran much better. But now it tops out at 60 mph. So the power valves must need a bit more cleaning and possible cable adjustment. I wrote down the specs to adjust it and ordered the service manual for future reference. I will try the valves out as that seems like the only thing wrong at this point.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the problem. APV cables disconnected at the servo motor end. Dont know how that happened. My friend turned the sled once on the day it started acting up and it stalled. Maybe the cable unplugged at that moment somewhow. Runs strong again though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts