Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding this weekend and my sled was acting up? The weather was warm (40 degrees) but it also acted up the night before when it was around zero. The sled was bogging when I would hit the throttle so I would have to feather it at times. It was also bogging and backfired (twice) in the 160 mile trip. At WOT the sled would gradually pick up speed / rpms but was not normal. Pulled and replaced plugs twice (dirty / black tips) and it bogged immediately? Also, sled ate about 20 gallons of fuel and about 3/4 of a gallon of oil. My buddies F7 had the same amount of fuel on his gauge (I refueled alone at one stop) and about a use about 2/3 less oil??? Sled has 1,400 miles and I have never cleaned the power valves... Any suggestions, Ideas, recommendation? Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Just a guess but...take a look at your primary clutch. You may have a broken or sacked out spring or a jammed/stuck flyweight.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
A broken primary spring can cause bogging, but it shouldn't cause plug fouling. Plugs fowl because the fuel mixture is too rich. If this rich condition is new you should look at the chokes, they may be stuck open and causing a rich condition. The change in temperature you describe could be good for two main jet sizes, but you said it happened both in cold conditions and warm conditions. Clean the exhaust valves and make sure they are working right. Check the choke plungers and cables for propper operation. Check the primary clutch for broken spring, etc. Make sure the plug caps are fully seated on the plug wires, twist them onto the wire a couple of rotations. If that makes it work better then maybe consider adding a Tempa-flow to keep your jetting in line as the temps change.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It sounds like the throttle safety switch.You can test this by finding the 3 wire plug under the steering post, just unplug this will bypass the kill switch, and the throttle safety switch Black brown, and purple wire plug. Very easy to check and I seen this problem a number of times.Let us know how you made out

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're boggin and fouling plugs---I'd go to jetting first.

Lean it out a few sizes and run it then check your plugs--if they're hershey brown and it revs easier then you are all set.

If they're hershey brown and it still bogs and backfires check the other possibilites listed above .

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree check the power valves first I'll bet its the valves ^_^

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info... The sled is an EFI... Can you please explain the bypass of the throttle safety and how to clean my powervalves? I want to make sure I unplug the correct wires and I need to clean the APV's tonight so I'm not really sure how to do it. Can someone give me a quick guide on how to clean the power valves. I heard to warm it up so they come out easier. But I'm not sure of the tools, cleaners, etc. that I will need. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Here's a link for cleaning the valves...

Cleaning APV

If the valves appear to be clean, I would guess the sled went into safe mode for some reason. Had it happen on my 800 last year. Instead of getting 150miles per tank, I could maybe get 100. And 0-100 was like a 440 -- it felt very sluggish at any speed. Get it to a dealer to check for error codes with the computer.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
exhaust valves are stuck, I had the same problem on the same sled. They gummed up when it got real cold, then they stay that way until you clean them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
you might try the easiest thing of all (iso heat gasline antifreeze ) becaue my zl-500 did similar thing and my friend who is a top notch grass dragger went and got me a bottle of this alcohal blend and before i knew it smoothed right out i thought my valves were stuck because i used apv oil for 400 miles before i switched to amsoil it did this every time it got cold then warm moister plays crazy things in gas tanks i now have 1021 miles and still runs supper and still have not had problems with valves yet!!! it is still a cheap fix if it works good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll here's where I'm at.. Unplugged Throttle Safety but haven't ridden sled yet. I presently started the Power Valve Cleaning Process. I got to the servo and removed the cover and saw both cables hanging not attached to the servo. In addition, one of the cables is only being held on by three of 7 strands of wire and about to snap. What is wierd is that the servo is connection for the wires is at about 2 o'clock when you look at the front. Shouldn't it be at 10 o'clock. The wire won't even reach the servo connection I don't think... Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
YA YOURE VALVES MUST BE STUCK ? AND THE SERVO KEPT ON CYCLING OPEN AND CLOSING AND WORE THREW TH CABLE CLEAN THEM AND REPLACE THE CABLE AND STRAIGHTEN OUT THE SERVO LOCATION AND YOU ARE GO TO GO . I GUESS WHAT I THOUGHT WAS NOT THE REMEDY (WATER IN FUEL )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do I staighten the servo? Also, I ran out of time last night and was able to get the covers off the APV's but they wouldn't slide out completely... They would move a bit forward and backwards but they wouldn't come out. Do I have to keep using Carb cleaner to free the APV's so they come out? Thanks again you guys are a great help!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts