Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of these, and it seems to run rich- loads up when riding slow, almost like when you first take off after warm-up. seems to run fine wide open, and cruising. I ride 0-3000 feet. Was wondering what the air screw and fuel screw should be set at- dealer says stock, but what is stock!? Also, what does the fuel mixture do? I think this sled would be a ripper if it was running right.
Main jets are 320. Also gets 8-10 mpg. I think I like my old 550 better- it got 15, and was not at all finicky like this one seems to be.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
how many miles? mine just turned 575 miles and it started to do the same first it flew very fast then when it got more miles on it it started to get a bit sluggish idle came down after a short run meaning load up i think valves need cleaning because of the oil i used old apv oil (red)not synthetic apv oil(blue) damn dealer 330 jets are stock my old 98 zl-500 had 360 stock i went to 340 on that sledd let me know what you are changing to i,m curious.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had new apv oil, and checked the valves- they don't seem to stick, and are adjusted right. Mine started doing this after the first tank of premix (mixed amsoil at about 50:1). I talked to cutler's out in utah and he said that mixture would be like dropping 2 sizes on the mains. I think that's what I'm going to try, unless someone screams at me not to. I just would like to try to get this solved, as our season tends to be short, and I don't want to spend it getting this NEW sled straightened out. I would take it to the dealer, but it would be 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hey I've got a 2002 Zr500 carb and my main jets are 310's and I have a DnD power breather on it also. Weights in the pri. clutch are 55.5 grams w/ a 57/52 cam in the secondary. My sled will run with most 600's with the same thing done to them. I also keep my belt deflection tight, the track will spin slowly with the back of the sled off the ground. I ride in 900 to 2000 ft. elev.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i have a 02-500 zr i have my air screw at 2 turns out and my fuel mixture at 2 turns out. i olso have an d&d hi flow air box cover & fett brothers blue printed motor with ported intake pistons. and a lennco secondary clutch cover i have a lot of bottom end,realy cleaned up the bottom end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put my power breather on, 320 mains, fuel screws 1 1/2 turns, air screws 1 3/4 turns. covered 2 slots in pb, runs like a scared rabbit. Now I like it.
I may drop down to 310's, but right now it is cold here and I'm chicken.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Glad to here its running great. Ride on. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts