Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the other post on here referring the poor fuel mileage on the 2002 ZL 500 but I am seeing far worse mileage on my brother's '02 ZL 500 ESR We ride short trips, maybe 150 miles tops per day. Now, he made the comment that he was getting poor mileage and I attributed most of it to his riding style (he likes the acceleration so he is somewhat heavy on the throttle). He claimed that he does ride easy on the throttle of course. Anyhow, I rode it the other day (and I am pretty easy going and never goosed it) and I only got about 65 miles to the tank on this thing. Which comes out at a smidge better than 5 miles to the gallon. This seems pretty bad to me but what do you guys think? Is there something wrong here or are all of these ZL like this? What could it be? Cracked reeds maybe? Bad drive axle bearings? He mentioned that his sled howls somewhat on the trail and he has a vibration as well (that's what led me to think it's the drive-axle bearings). His drive seems to rotate easily though when spun by hand; very little resistance. He also has the power valve exhaust (APV) and it tends to "click" intermittently at idle when cold. Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts on how to fix this thing?

Mike

·
Registered
585 Posts
I read the other post on here referring the poor fuel mileage on the 2002 ZL 500 but I am seeing far worse mileage on my brother's '02 ZL 500 ESR We ride short trips, maybe 150 miles tops per day. Now, he made the comment that he was getting poor mileage and I attributed most of it to his riding style (he likes the acceleration so he is somewhat heavy on the throttle). He claimed that he does ride easy on the throttle of course. Anyhow, I rode it the other day (and I am pretty easy going and never goosed it) and I only got about 65 miles to the tank on this thing. Which comes out at a smidge better than 5 miles to the gallon. This seems pretty bad to me but what do you guys think? Is there something wrong here or are all of these ZL like this? What could it be? Cracked reeds maybe? Bad drive axle bearings? He mentioned that his sled howls somewhat on the trail and he has a vibration as well (that's what led me to think it's the drive-axle bearings). His drive seems to rotate easily though when spun by hand; very little resistance. He also has the power valve exhaust (APV) and it tends to "click" intermittently at idle when cold. Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts on how to fix this thing?

Mike[/b]
well i would check the adjustment of the APV's pronto if they click..They might be hitting the cyclinder....where does the howl come from left or right side?...and its def possible the reeds need to be replaced...how long ago were they replaced...they say every 1000 miles on a set of reeds...does it bog at all?..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts