Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 XC800SP with the following:

SLP Single Pipe
SLP Flowrites
SLP Air Horn Kit
VForce 3 Reeds
Boost Bottle

Tempa Flow
580 Mains (remember it's a 2002 they are jetted different than all the other years)

I ride 0 - 3,000 feet in elevation. Mostly from 0 to 2,000 feet
Neelde Clip in #4 Position

Am I still to fat on my main? I got some advise from Pockets that 500's are as large as I need to run with my setup. He has been right on my clutching and as you can tell from all the posts he knows what he's talking about. I'm just having a hard time dropping my jet sizes. I would like to hear from people who have my setup and who are running these smaller sizes. With the tempa flow system I have to always jet my sled for -20C.

I appreicate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I run a 02 with SLP single, Flow-rite, Air horn, Tempa-Flow.
Jetted at 540 , needle at 3.5 or 4.
Sea level, down to -25C

·
Registered
499 Posts
i ran the same package as you. i didn't have crank failure, i had a hydro seize that snapped a pistin rod. i had my head recut and it leaked antifreeze into the jug. i ran 510 n ( equal to 530) jets with the needle in the 3.5 clip(shim). i also ran Reicharts(rpc racing) clutch kit, it was good in the trails, not the best for dragging, then i reset it to a 38x, to be honest i wasn't crazy about the 38x, i prefer the dalton 50/36 and the 68oz or 70oz dalton weights. i liked the tempa flow, it kept it crisp in the warmer weather. if i could make a suggestion spend the extra $120 and put a tunnel cooler in it !!!!! also run water wetter as per instructions or water ICE in the rad. i went up a little in the mains because in ontario i run a lot of big lakes 3 to 4 miles long at 100 mph ++ and wanted that extra saftey margin. if you go with the 500 mains and are worried about it being to lean on long runs or if it is to cold outside, turn the premium key to regular to retard the timing.
PRAY FOR SNOW ! you may want to regear also

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for everyone replies. With 540's can you find that you can run for a full mile wide open across a lake fine?[/b]

I would not reccomend running this sled for a mile or more at wot, especially if you have loaded it down with heavier clutching.

A hot timing curve, 13:1 comression, poor cooling and no deto protection is a good recipe for a burndown on a long wot pull.

You could richen the jetting and turn the key back to reg to run longer at wot, but then the sled would not pull worth a shit.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not reccomend running this sled for a mile or more at wot, especially if you have loaded it down with heavier clutching.

A hot timing curve, 13:1 comression, poor cooling and no deto protection is a good recipe for a burndown on a long wot pull.

You could richen the jetting and turn the key back to reg to run longer at wot, but then the sled would not pull worth a shit.[/b]

Thanks XC8Rider. How long would be safe to run the sled at WOT with 540 Mains. Would you runn it 1/2 mile? 1/4 of a mile? I'm going to pick up some 540 jets right now and I'm not sure if I should pick up the 560's as well? What's your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
540 will be fine for 3/4 to mile runs I would think. For long lake runs the extra trunnel cooler and long snowflap helps greatly, it also will help with engine life. A set of aftermarket heads will also cool better than the stock cast one. The engine design is why Polaris jetted them so fat from the factory, to improve reliability, at the expense of performance worse than the 700 stock.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
540 will be fine for 3/4 to mile runs I would think. For long lake runs the extra trunnel cooler and long snowflap helps greatly, it also will help with engine life. A set of aftermarket heads will also cool better than the stock cast one. The engine design is why Polaris jetted them so fat from the factory, to improve reliability, at the expense of performance worse than the 700 stock.[/b]
I've heard many people talk about the extra cooler. Do you have the part # for this kit?

Never mind I found it. #2202143

·
Registered
173 Posts

You could richen the jetting and turn the key back to reg to run longer at wot, but then the sled would not pull worth a shit.[/b]
I know exactly what you are talking about... I melted down 4 times with this SLP pipe at WOT... Here we have the best trail for WOT running... But SLP pipe don't like our trail... The last time it burned, jetting was at 620 and the piston melted again even with 140 bigger jetting... So I removed it... And with the SLP pipe, I was never able to setup it right... I was not able to get more than 100 on speedo... With the stock pipe, I see 120 some times, and always at least 110 m/h...

SLP don't tell that to their custommer... :frech32:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about... I melted down 4 times with this SLP pipe at WOT... Here we have the best trail for WOT running... But SLP pipe don't like our trail... The last time it burned, jetting was at 620 and the piston melted again even with 140 bigger jetting... So I removed it... And with the SLP pipe, I was never able to setup it right... I was not able to get more than 100 on speedo... With the stock pipe, I see 120 some times, and always at least 110 m/h...

SLP don't tell that to their custommer... :frech32:[/b]
WOW 620 mains! SLP pipes seem to work well for mountain riders but not so well for the flatlanders. They just don't pull the fuel. I set up a couple 02 XC8s with LRM twins with the stock head and they pulled like a freight train and we jetted them at the stock 460s. 1-2 mile WFO runs all the time.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I do not doubt your experience, but often there are other factors causing the problem, not the pipe itself. Fuel, poor cooling, wrong rpm, timing, carburetion(other than just main jets).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hemisport is not alone, I have seen A LOT of people have troubles with SLP stuff in the flats. Yes, the stuff does/can work but they seem difficult to dial in. IMO there is no reason that a single pipe(or even twins) should require these huge jets. That just tells me that the pipe isn't producing the proper sound waves to scavenge the exhaust out and pull the fresh fuel in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hemisport is not alone, I have seen A LOT of people have troubles with SLP stuff in the flats. Yes, the stuff does/can work but they seem difficult to dial in. IMO there is no reason that a single pipe(or even twins) should require these huge jets. That just tells me that the pipe isn't producing the proper sound waves to scavenge the exhaust out and pull the fresh fuel in.[/b]
:div20:

And more, it was installed by my dealer who know a lot about tunning sled... And He never understand... Like me... SLP told me to not use the NGK plugs, that should be my problem, but it was the same thing with the right plug, RN57YCC. Melted piston and no performance. Stock is better by far for me ;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Are any of you running the extra cooler mentioned in this discussion? If so was it easy to install and do you notice any difference?[/b]
I ran it on my '02 XC800VES. On long runs on hardpack, the water temp would climb above 125 deg F without it, with the added cooler it was much better for holding water temp down. Several times a failsafe mode would kick in and cut power (less timing?) and it never did it again with the cooler added. FYI, it did burn a piston though on a very short WOT run and I am sure that can be chalked up to low octane fuel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My 02 rmk ( leaner then xc needles) , with the CPI twin pipes , ported cylinders and case , recut stock head ,so on so forth, runs a 510 N jet to - 18 or so celcious with needle second from the top. No issues so far with just under 800 miles. Pistons seem to wash well but I'm sure I can get away with 520 N's and not lose any response down low and still pull decent weight.
As far as heat , as long as the mud flap is pulling in or keeping snow on the coolers ( my cooler is at the back) temp should be okay. We have had some pretty long pulls on the lake with no issues but every machine seems to be different.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.