Hardcore Sledder banner

02 proxr 440

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  braaap11889 
#1 ·
What are your thought on an 02 prox 440 race sled? Anyone own one? I got an email about one that has a 660 kit pipes and all the goodies from a local dealer that I talk to alot. How do they compare to an 03 pro x (consumer)? I have been looking for an 03 consumer pro x 600 or 700 but this has the 660 kit which is what I planned to put on my dads sled when I buy it off him. Anyways. Are there any upgrades this sled should get to make it a good 50/50 trail/offtrail sled? Were there any recalls or problem that this sled had? Do you have a pic of this sled? I have seen 02 pro x 440 fans is it the same sled? Thanks

Jared

Any other details about race sled or sled pics just anything you can post if you would like.

Yes I did perform a search.

#3 ·
Yes indeed. I have (and are in the process of selling) an 02 pro-x 440 race sled. It is a great, fun sled, but I needed something a little more racy yet, I bought an 04 pro-XR 440. But anyway...

It was fun to ride. I left the shocks basically stock. It will beat you up a little on trails if you sit down for long periods of time and the trails get rough. Your friends will be mad at the speed you can take the bumps though. The 02 motor ran great, and I never had any problems with it. Pump gas heads, and the trail size tank and you were in business. The jets I would recommend for the trail would be ~310's for safe to 0F and like 1000ft altitude. I ran with 310's and 300's most of the year and had no problems. Sled was snappy also, except when it got pretty warm out. Keep the idle high though, if it idles below 2000rpm it loads up and gets slow out of the hole.

You can do a 660 kit on this motor. But it will be more expensive. You can't just bore the 440 cylinders, you need 600 ones as far as I know. You will also need the top case half machined for the larger size pistons and bore. The stock tmx34 carbs will be a bottleneck with the 660. Finally you shouldn't use the 440 pipe with the 660.

One caveat is that they are pre-mix. But you can just buy a small block oil pump and an oil tank and it is a fairly straightforward conversion. I have a friend that did it. If you need more details I can find his how-to he wrote on snowest.

The pro-x chassis is a strong chassis, it can withstand some serious abuse. Mine took a few good hits and the previous owner gave it some good ones also. The shocks are not clickers, so you are stuck with a stiff setup all the time basically.

Recalls or problems, hrm. The chain tensioner was built poorly and the pin in it can slide out and marr up the chaincase cover. Polaris says to a chisel type punch on the ends of it to deform the metal to hold the pin in. Also, on all the edge/prox chaincases there is the possibility of the tensioner threads getting ripped out. You mainly see this on the snoX sleds though, that take huge shock loads. I, and many others, have had to helicoil the case.

Anyway, here are two pics:

My friend's and mine, both pro-x 440's, only difference is he made his oil injected, lower riser, no studs, and a different steering hoop setup that moves the bars back farther, loosing some rider-forward.

#4 ·
Thanks rippered. The sled comes with the 660 kit already on it so I don't care about how much it costs (I also already know the cost). They want 6 grand and that might be a good deal as its a pretty sick sled from what I hear I know I can probably knock them down to around 5250 because my dad bought a brand new xcr 800 and TONS of a accessories from them we have easily spent over 20 grand there in the last 3 years so I know they will cut me a deal just not sure how much of one as they are total asshole which is why we don't buy new sled or get work done from them ( they dont even work they keep the sled for 3 weeks then you call and ask hows it coming they are like well you see we got backed up then my dad took his business elsewhere).

#6 ·
For six grand you could go buy a whole lot better of a sled. Even though that 660 is friggen awesome. Im saving up for one for my pro-x next year. It would prolly take the poo 800's in a drag. You can buy a new sled like a 02 600 and then buy a brand new 660 and prolly come out somewhere around 6000. Plus you said that the dealer is kinda shady so if you have problems with it in the future it might be a bitch to get it back quick. Don't get me wrong though...the sled you explained would be one bad ass sled. You will be flying by 700's on the lake...when your sled only looks like a 440 pro-x haha.

#7 ·
I wouldn't even spend the $5250 you think you could get him down to on that thing. You could probably find a decent '02 pro x 440 for about $2500-$2900 I bet then build it your self.

Like others have said it'll be a rippin machine no doubt about that, but probably worth more in the area of $4000 I think.

#10 ·
I have a prox 440 lc with a complete 660 motor, awesome, light, fun sled. Very easy and fun off trail, but i still need to work on the shocks for a smoother ride, they've been revalved but i will do it over again. Motor was a "bolt on" (600 base motor) with prox 6 carb boots, carb flanges, y pipe, complete electrical from the 6 with 440 wire harness.

If i had to do it over again, i would get a prox 600 and change out some shocks for some better ones,(less head aches) other then the fox knock of walkers.

#11 ·
Like I said its not just a 600 VES with a 660 kit. These guys didn't build it if they did well it wouldn't be worth half their asking price to me. A builder that does 600 race sleds built the sled and he knows how to get EVERYTHING he can out of a 600. It has over 12000 into it (I called the builder) he said he can't release any info as his stuff isn't under patent and he doesn't know me so I respect the fact that he doesn't respect me yet. Its got twins, clutching, heads thats all I know because thats all I asked but I know its got more. I don't plan to buy the sled as its out of my price range and I HATE the looks of the 02 pro xs but it would be a sick sled after the decals got stripped (if it has any) the yellow was changed to black or white. I know I can get a brand new sled but I hate having the same sled as everyone else which is why I wanted that sled or an 03 pro x 600 then I was gonna make it different than every other pro x out there.

#12 ·
Originally posted by braaap11889@Oct 22 2005, 05:46 PM
Like I said its not just a 600 VES with a 660 kit. These guys didn't build it if they did well it wouldn't be worth half their asking price to me. A builder that does 600 race sleds built the sled and he knows how to get EVERYTHING he can out of a 600. It has over 12000 into it (I called the builder) he said he can't release any info as his stuff isn't under patent and he doesn't know me so I respect the fact that he doesn't respect me yet. Its got twins, clutching, heads thats all I know because thats all I asked but I know its got more. I don't plan to buy the sled as its out of my price range and I HATE the looks of the 02 pro xs but it would be a sick sled after the decals got stripped (if it has any) the yellow was changed to black or white. I know I can get a brand new sled but I hate having the same sled as everyone else which is why I wanted that sled or an 03 pro x 600 then I was gonna make it different than every other pro x out there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=947943
[/quote]
who is this builder?

#13 ·
Not sure was called and was given the first name a number
didn't happen to write the number down because I am like that. His name is Vaugh and I think his son is Ed or its the other way around they sounded old. I don't plan on having him do my work as sounds like hes expensive and I like doing everything myself.

#14 ·
Originally posted by braaap11889@Oct 22 2005, 05:46 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=947943
[/quote]
IMO its still not worth no $6000.

#15 ·
I would have called BS on the builder's claims. I haven't seen a lot of patents when it comes to set-up. If he said " I have designed my own porting" or "we have built a custom head or pipes", then he has some legitimacy. Right now, he is asking you to pay a lot extra for his magic and he won't explain what that magic is.

Stay away from this deal. Some sucker will buy the hype and get a strong running but very overpriced sled.

BTW, I picked up a project lsed - 2004 Pro-XR c/w fox zero pros and a bunch of extras for $2,000. I could drop another $1,500 into its engine and have a better sled. $6,000 for a 2002 is way too much.

#16 ·
Originally posted by kneedeep@Oct 23 2005, 11:11 AM
BTW, I picked up a project lsed - 2004 Pro-XR c/w fox zero pros and a bunch of extras for $2,000. I could drop another $1,500 into its engine and have a better sled.  $6,000 for a 2002 is way too much.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=949046
[/quote]

Probably not BS as much as you think as he does MANY race/trail sleds around my area.

I'm definitly passing I found a better deal from a memeber on this forum. A WAY better deal for this sled I could get the 660 kit and be about the same price and its easily a better sled right now to me. Thats a killer deal knee deep. Put it on ebay and make about a grand+ off it. I plan to buy an 05 or 06 IQ 440 in two years off a buddy of mine and do something like erick is doing except I'm gonna extend and get floats and nitrous and alot of other stuff. Don't plan to do as much custom work though gonna look mostly like a 440 IQ does stock on the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.