Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers FRONT torque arm bolts were lose and egged the holes :eek:oh4: . My question is can the arm be moved to the second hole behind it? What will this do and will it cause damage. Thanks, all the best, Sideways

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Are you talking in the tunnel?

Just drill and tap the aluminum tube in the arm to a bigger bolt.

Drill tunnel out.

Put a plate on the out side of the tunnel for added strength. Bolt with stainless steel 1/4 bolts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al, I guess i should of been more specific. I ment on the skid itself where the arm mounts to the slide rail :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Moving it to the other hole would probably screw it up.

I think I have a set of them steel plates I took off a set of rails I snapped.

If your interested I'll Give them to you for the cost of shipping and a beer.

You can put them on, fill with jb weld drill it out, maybe rig a plate on the otherside also. Should make it strong enough.

At least your starting with the hole in the right spot.

Mine are off a edge skid, let me know

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Moving to the rear hole moves the skid forward in relation to the tunnel. Like alsled says, likely not a very good idea.
Option to plates is to pull rails, have hole filed with weld, then redrill.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
I'm leary of welding on rails, that heat treating softing harding thing. I've drilled through rails and its harder then most aluminum.

Could be wrong.

I'd sandwich the hole with 2 plates, put a bolt through the back hole for support.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Just had my rails welded by a competent shop that specializes in building racing bikes.

I had to do 4 holes for the lower shock mounts.

Turned out perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Competant or incompatent, your still adding a lot of heat in allready heat treated aluminum.

Probably never have a problem but if theres a way to keep heat out, then do it.

I run 136 extensions on my prox and edge, just bolt on.

My buddy did 144 extensions and we figured lets bolt them on and weld them. They cracked, along the weld, started at a point that was 3/8 inch away from the weld and started traveling..

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I took my rails to the best welder I know & he mentioned the heat soften thing.So I made bushing's with a head like a washer & milled out the rails just anof to clean them up for these.Its alot of work tho & you need a mill & lathe.think it took me 4 hours staying after work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.