Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone at Cat tell me why I had to pay $82.00+ to have my remote adjuster shock unit rebuilt by my dealer? I did all the wrenching to remove the skid, the shock and the remote adjuster. I then dropped it off at the dealer to rebuild because of an internal failure/flaw. (seperator piston)

The sled still has one year left on the warrenty but I understand that shocks aren't covered. (even if it is a factory flaw I guess) I can deal with that if it's the same rule for everybody.

The problem I have is: Had this sled been an EFI version instead of carbed, I could have trailered the whole sled to the dealer, let them do all the wrenching and rebuilding and it wouldn't have cost me a dime!!! Is this right???

Am I expecting too much when I ask for an explanation?

Sorry So Long.....

Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Those hand adjusts are junk they are worthless u are better off to just run a resivoir or put a clicker on it insstead. My friends have a zr 500 carb blew is out put clickers his dad has a 600zr efi blew it out put clickers and my other friend has a zr 800 efi put clicker on after it blew. I mean i have never used on but from what i have been told and saw they are worthless.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
WOW, I've got 3400 miles with no problems with mine, It improves the handeling more then anything else on this sled.
I'm not letting any cat dealer touch it as long as it's working right.
You are correct in everyway, The same suspension on the EFI & Carb, so why no update for the carb?
Blackwolf, Where are you getting the shocks done anyway? $82 seems a bit high.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
F5, I agree with Jamie. The remote adjust is one of the best "on the fly" handleing features ever put on a sled. I've had them on different sleds since 1997 and I don't want to ever ride without it. This is the first one that ever took a dump on me. Do any of those friends of yours still have their units? If so I'd like to buy 'em. I don't think Cat will be offering these on future sleds (I hope I'm wrong) and I'd like to be able to install it on every new one I buy. Nothing personal, but "don't knock it till you try it".

Jamie, I took the unit to my dealer for the rebuild. They are one of, if not THE largest Cat dealers in the midwest. (Southeast Wisconsin) I have no problem with my dealer, they are a great bunch and I'd recommend them to anyone. He had to charge me due to the fact that Cat only issued the bulletin for the EFI's. I too was a bit shocked (excuse the pun) at the price when I picked up the shock. $19.95 for the seperator piston, (faulty part) $2.00 for the nitrogen charge, $56 labor + tax = $82 plus change. Not a bad price if they do all the wrenching, but I agree that it's a bit high for a "drop off" rebuild. Especially when I know that had it been an EFI it would have been done for free!

All I really want is a logical explanation from Cat as to why the carbed sleds aren't covered too.

Cat........ are you there????

Please reply here or
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'd also like to hear AC's explaination for neglecting the carbed CCE models. Mine also needs attention. In fact, if I can track down the AC phone number I'll ask them directly as my dealer suggested.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love the idea of being able to adjust the ski pressure on the fly. but my
dealer could not get my 99 zr600efi le to work, first ride skid got stuck
into tunnel (front)on third try it worked for
about 100 miles. than skid got stuck in tunnelFront)
found another dealer who got it to work for most of
2000, at end season had to bottom knob out. sold it for 2001 season.
Bought a 2001 zr800 le, first 5 miles bottom blew out of adjuster housing.
by end of season knob was bottoming out. took rear skid out, installed
coupler kit, and had all shocks redone front skid shock with updated
adjuster housing cost amost $375.00, first ride skid stuck into tunnel
(front). dealer charged me another $185.00 to fix, sold seld and bought
f 7 sno pro, thank god there's no adjuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The problem with the adjuster is people crank the shock all the way in (more ski pressure) then hammer bumps. The shock is already compressed , gets wacked and blows out.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
I agree with jagdcat, most folks use the adjuster to compensate for a poorly set up sled rather than enhance a properly set up one.
In my opinion your much further ahead to take your shock to a competant rebuilder and have it gone through rather than your dealer who is being paid far less for the job than its worth and just plain can't afford to take the time to rebuild it properly.
Mine was just redone today after being done a very short time back under warranty, it turned out the pressure was low, oil was low, piston depth was off by 1 1/4" and the list goes on. I'm confident after watching the meticulous care the rebuilder I use go through the shock that my problems are now finally over.
Spend a couple of bucks and get it done right...........winters far too short to mess around.

Rick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may be partially correct in your assumption of how some people use the adjuster. But this was not the case with mine. I pay attention to every detail to assure that my machines are set-up for optimum performance.

As far as who rebuilds the shock, your right. The rebuild is only as good as the person doing the job. My dealer and his wrenches are very competent mechanics and the dealer got payed plenty for my rebuild. :) More then it would have cost at another nationally reknown performance shop I deal with. Now Ken's dealer, thats another story! ;)

Again, I'm just looking for a logical explanation as to why the Carbed CC's aren't covered but the EFI's are.

I guess Cat's not listening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts