Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wants me to service his 02 800 edge X. He just bought it, and isnt sure of the jetting. It does have a SLP single pipe and gutted air box. He ran it a few weeks ago when we had snow and checked the plugs after a hard run and said they were gray. NOT good.

Anyone give me a reference point for stock jetting, then maybe we can work from there. Or, does anyone know the proper jetting for this set up?

Appreciate any help.

Mark

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I used to run a 02 800 edge also. I ran the SLP pipe, heads, big air horn kit, reed spacers and V Force 2 reeds.I ran 500 main jets all the time just be careful when it gets -10 F. or colder. Always seemed rich with any jet size over 500. Put on 7000 miles with this set up.Also ran a clutch kit too.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Now that I think about it I think you're right and the jump to 500s was in 02 when they went to the VES motor. I was thinking of the 01.

·
Registered
17,214 Posts
Also check needles, stock is #3 , while SLP calls for #4. I run at #3.5 as I find #3 on the lean side if running crappy trails and I have to spend time in the midrange.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Same setup as your buddy.

470 detonated my buddies sled.
480 detonated my sled back in 02.

We got away with 500 down to 10 degrees F.

500 was stock jetting in 02

·
Registered
86 Posts
500 mains are stock for 02' 800 (-10 to +10 F). I have an 02' 800 w/ the SLP air horn kit (guited air box) and dash snow filters (foam removed) and SLP recomends going to 540 mains for this set-up. I am going to try 520 this weekend and also adjust the needle to 4 from 3. Polaris's website has the manual supplements that give proper jetting and clutching for this sled. You can call SLP and they will help as well. Let is F-ing snow!!!! Headed to the UP next week.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 02 800 had 500's stock.
I just installed an SLP single pipe and can with the Big horn kit and dash filters as well as gutting the airbox.
I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but SLP recommends starting with 540's and needle clips on 4, then test from there.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
500 mains are stock for 02' 800 (-10 to +10 F). I have an 02' 800 w/ the SLP air horn kit (guited air box) and dash snow filters (foam removed) and SLP recomends going to 540 mains for this set-up. I am going to try 520 this weekend and also adjust the needle to 4 from 3. Polaris's website has the manual supplements that give proper jetting and clutching for this sled. You can call SLP and they will help as well. Let is F-ing snow!!!! Headed to the UP next week.[/b]

All 520 main jets are to be thrown out, they had a machining blunder and they flow less then a 500.

DON"T USE A 520 MAIN JET

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
I went to see that, I have 480 from polaris... Why I had 480 if main are supposed to be 500 ???[/b]

Dealer setup, seen some dealers jet down for the area.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
500 mains are stock for 02' 800 (-10 to +10 F). I have an 02' 800 w/ the SLP air horn kit (guited air box) and dash snow filters (foam removed) and SLP recomends going to 540 mains for this set-up. I am going to try 520 this weekend and also adjust the needle to 4 from 3. Polaris's website has the manual supplements that give proper jetting and clutching for this sled. You can call SLP and they will help as well. Let is F-ing snow!!!! Headed to the UP next week.[/b]

My 02 800 had 500's stock.
I just installed an SLP single pipe and can with the Big horn kit and dash filters as well as gutting the airbox.
I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but SLP recommends starting with 540's and needle clips on 4, then test from there.[/b]

Thanks alot guys, this was GREAT!! I got it apart and it had 480's in it. WOO HOO! I put 500's in it and he'll try it. It's going to be warm here, course the snow will be gone by the weekend!!! This sled also had the SLP airbox mod. XJ1978, let me know how your set up works!

Thanks again guys.

Oh, I forgot: I wanted to get this done quick for him so I went to the nearest dealer, ( skippy doo), all they had was PLASTIC jets, I put them in... Never seen them before, hope all is OK. Anyone ever heard of them?

When I was turning the clutch by hand, when it got to certain spots, rocking it back a forth, a tapping sound was coming from the crankcase, and I could feel it in the pipe. I got it running and its noisy, that common for the 800's? I've only had 700s, and they weren't quite as noisy as this thing. Hope she lasts!

Mark

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I would not run it anymore without checking a few things. It could end up costing him a lot more $. Do a compression test. Pull the pipe off and look at the exhaust sides of the pistons, take the y-pipe off if you cannot see them. Take the ves off and check the valves. Where is the needle set?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I got it running and its noisy, that common for the 800's? I've only had 700s, and they weren't quite as noisy as this thing. Hope she lasts!

Mark[/b]

Hey there

I have an 02 800 as well and it is noisy at idle as well, has been since day one. I hate trying to describe noises, but it is like a rattle or a clanking. I brought it up on sites before and many people say it is not uncommon. I don't know what the noise is but, like I said, mine has been like that since day one with no issues.

I have taken a look at my pistons via the exhaust openings and all is well. Both the pistons and cylinder walls look good. The noise goes away when you give it gas and the sled has good power and runs great.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would not run it anymore without checking a few things. It could end up costing him a lot more $. Do a compression test. Pull the pipe off and look at the exhaust sides of the pistons, take the y-pipe off if you cannot see them. Take the ves off and check the valves. Where is the needle set?[/b]
Actually, I did do a compression test last night, as I too thought something might be up, but one side was 130 and the other was 127, so I guess all is well there. I pulled the valves and cleaned them, but really couldn't see much. The needles are in the 3rd position. I offered to take the exhaust off and check, but I think he wants to "try it" first..... ALRIGHTY THEN!!

Luckily, the snow is gone and it will be a week or so b4 he runs it. Long enough to get it on his truck and out of here I guess!

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.