Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it started to happen when i first tried to start it up in the fall, it ran for about 5 minutes then died, can only run by pouring gas in the carbs. So i took out the carbs, cleaned them and found a extra main jet in there haha, but other than that they werent bad. i checked all the fuel lines and they seem to be clear, so then i just took out the fuel pump tonight and took it apart and it looks brand new, so i dont know if it just isnt working or whatever, but what could it be? can the pump look new but still not work?? im stuck!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
We just had one come in the shop with the same thing, his problem was he had no fuel in the tank, NO KIDDING. Not saying thats your problem. Check the pick up in the tank,if thats fine follow the fuel to the point where it no longer continues to flow.When you took the pump apart ,did you have fuel to the pump? I f your pick up in the tank is ok and its flowing fuel to the shut off valve,is it flowing past that point to the pump?. Check your impulse line for cracks, also check your vent lines,shove some air back through them. This is something simple.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
You found an extra main jet? Are you 100% sure it’s a main jet and not another part of the carb that might have come loose?

I agree with ti1 to check the pickup in the tank. I haven’t seen any go bad on sled as new as yours but the pickups have been known to fall off at the fitting so the sled would act like it’s running out of gas with ½ a tank. You can either pull the line out of the tank by removing the air box and undoing the fitting in the tank or you can use a wire through the filler neck to hook the line and pull it up so you can look at it. One last way to check the pickup line real quick is to blow into the fuel line coming out of the tank and listen for air bubbles. If no air bubbles the lines not in the gas.

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
Yep, but that is not the best way, just the easiest. I would use some wire and fish the line out of the tank so you can look at it. It should have a brass screen on the end of it.

How much gas do you have in the sled now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts