Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brothers 02 has reverse, and would like to gear the sled because he weighs about 260. Our trails are slow and narrow, and never get on a lake to race, only short fields. :3gears: The gearing is stock 25-40or41(not sure yet) 76 pitch. What could we do? Go up a couple on top with a 78 pitch? He is concerned about the chain being loose but that is normal on a mechanical reverse, right? Thanks for your input, All the best, Sideways

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
23/40 is a great ratio for the 700.
You need to run a 74P chain for it.

Reverse gears are avail in 39,40,41.

You could run 23/41 and use your stock 76P chain.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Like Terez said 23/40 with 74 chain is excellent especially for his weight.

I am not sure if Polaris is clearing inventory but reverse bottom gears are aboiut half price compared to last year. I bought a 39 and 40 for $54.00 each CDN- ordered in.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i was heading the wrong way with the gear. :doh: Im glad i posted this question. All the best, Sideways

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do you adjust the chain on a mechanical reverse the same as a regular non reverse chain? The older ones i thought had to be loose, im not sure on the newer setups. :dunno: Thanks

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Make sure the adjusting screw is easily turned with your fingers. Back it off a few turns, then screw in finger tight. Back it off a 1/4 turn, hold bolt with wrench (so it can't move) while you tighten lock nut. Rocking secondary back and forth to douple check like you would w/o reverse is a waste of time. It's impossible to tell how much slack is in chain using that process w/reverse.

·
Registered
500 Posts
the 23/40 is a great combo. You won't be disapointed but I see that nobody told you on here that you will have to modify the tensioner to get the 74 chain to fit. You have to round off the elbow on the tensioner. There used to be a link with a picture but I can't find it. Because there is no dogleg in the chain now this also reduces the dreaded Polaris chaincase howl.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im taking terez's advice and going 23- 41 and saving 88 bucks for the chain, it has 25- 39 in it now. The bottom sprockets only 35 bucks :div20: Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts