Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what most guys are gettin' away with. Stock is 500's. Sled has templaflow. Still seems rich. Lots of brownish/grey smoke on startup, but plugs look pretty good? Was contemplating going down to 480's, but nervous with the tempaflow. Sled has that god-forsaken oil container/airbox. Pain in the ass to rejet.

I need this to be safe in -20 to -25 Celcius.....

Any help appreciated....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If helped several friends 02 XC700's with setup and have jetted them all to 480 mains.
It is a safe spec for sea level riding down to -25C and runs well.

When it is very cold and or long WFO running you are closer to the edge so premium gas and NO water is mandatory.
This goes whenever your jet spec is sharp.
We always run premium and use isopropyl religiously and have never had a problem with 480 in the 02 700's.

Make sure the needle stays in the stock middle position!!
Some like to lean the needle a position when it is warm.....bad idea. They will burn down in the midrange long before a main jet failure, and you won't see it coming either.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
480's with tempa flow,Can't remeber where the tempa flow was set but I started on the rich side & turned it leaner(1/8th at a time) till one of the plugs looked white then went back to the setting before.Its either straight up or a 1/8th turn to the lean (left) where I ended up.Been going over a year like that ,coldest I've road is 8 degrees F

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If helped several friends 02 XC700's with setup and have jetted them all to 480 mains.
It is a safe spec for sea level riding down to -25C and runs well.

When it is very cold and or long WFO running you are closer to the edge so premium gas and NO water is mandatory.
This goes whenever your jet spec is sharp.
We always run premium and use isopropyl religiously and have never had a problem with 480 in the 02 700's.
Make sure the needle stays in the stock middle position!!
Some like to lean the needle a position when it is warm.....bad idea. They will burn down in the midrange long before a main jet failure, and you won't see it coming either.[/b]
Thanks for the tip. I know all about the needle. had no intentions of ever touching it. Would just like to clean it up a bit. Right now, it has a hard time catching/keeping up with my 02' 700 SKS.

My 02' 700 SKS has NO trouble beating it...... thought maybe jettin' the other a little will help?

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
. Right now, it has a hard time catching/keeping up with my 02' 700 SKS.

My 02' 700 SKS has NO trouble beating it...... thought maybe jettin' the other a little will help?
[/quote]

gearing make a big differance in the SKS. If the clutching was good on the XC and geared down just slightly it will run with it no problem. 24/40 or 24/41 works well and shouldnt loose any top end speed . clutching , throw out almost everything and start clean. pockets has a few post on what hotseat helix and springs/weights to run.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. Right now, it has a hard time catching/keeping up with my 02' 700 SKS.

gearing make a big differance in the SKS. If the clutching was good on the XC and geared down just slightly it will run with it no problem. 24/40 or 24/41 works well and shouldnt loose any top end speed . clutching , throw out almost everything and start clean. pockets has a few post on what hotseat helix and springs/weights to run.[/b]
Both run identical clutching.......02 Edge X is running 25/42 gears (1.69) and is also 136 x 1.25" lug. Both run almost identical clutching....springs, helix and weights. Both pull a solid 8000-8100 RPM. Pockets and I have spoken on numerous occassions about this very subject. I run TEAM rollers on each. From rolling starts - or dead start, my 02' 700 SKS just plain walks away from it. Geared 23/40 - 1.74. 136" x 1.5" track.

Tried gearing down the egde X a little more, and it was worse. I geared it 24/42 and it spun like a bastard. In conversation with a few different people, I keep hearing the same thing. The gen II chassis was more a more efficent and with the extra 10 suspension has a better, less HP robbing approach angle which gives it the "edge".

We swapped riders and tried it time, and time again and the results are the same everytime. Engines are both nice and tight. Clutches have been gone through and springs are all new in both. We even tried swappin' secondaries to see if it made a difference and the 700 SKS just walks away from it. I agree that these 2 sleds should be very comparable in performance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Edge X is slow by any means, just that my SKS is faster..?

If someone cares to explain why, I'm all ears??

·
Registered
759 Posts
If someone cares to explain why, I'm all ears??[/b]
Ok, you know this but I'm gonna say it anyway for discussion sake ...did you check squish, head volume, port timing, crank phase, ign timing, tps, temp sensor, stator specs (cold and hot), degree flywheel stampings, coil output, wire resistance, plug caps, carbon build up in exhaust, muffler issues and whatever else I missed. Some run at a different rpm for whatever reason.
In my point of veiw the gen2 is faster cept maybe the short snow drags due to transfer

We got to ride together this winter, hitting any rallys soon?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, you know this but I'm gonna say it anyway for discussion sake ...did you check squish, head volume, port timing, crank phase, ign timing, tps, temp sensor, stator specs (cold and hot), degree flywheel stampings, coil output, wire resistance, plug caps, carbon build up in exhaust, muffler issues and whatever else I missed. Some run at a different rpm for whatever reason.
In my point of veiw the gen2 is faster cept maybe the short snow drags due to transfer

We got to ride together this winter, hitting any rallys soon?[/b]
Hi Daryl,

Well you make very valid points. The 02' Edge X has a fresh engine with about 400-500 miles on it. Exhaust valves, TPS, Exhaust clean, NEW MBRP can, fresh plugs. As for the rest.....head volume, squish, crank phase, etc I am unsure of. Engine was done complete - top to bottom - so I would assume this would have all been checked upon assembly. Both are bone stock except for the cans and Boyesen RAD valves. CDI boxes are same as well. From what I remember, the 02' had the hottest timing curve and most desireable to have?

I am going to be takin it over to a buddies place to verify timing next week just to be sure. That should shed some light on the subject and tell the whole story. You would think that if crankphase/timing would be out that it would run like shit, but it doesn't. It runs and starts very well......just a little disappointed in how it compares to my other 02. Actually, if you wouldn't have lined the two of them up next to each other, you would think the Edge X is quite fast. I guess thats why "seat of the pant" don't tell you shit. Lining up to a test mule is the best gauge, or in your case, the Stalker tells you everything. ;)

May have to bring them over for a few test runs. AS for rallys, I haven't heard of too many around. Snow is kind of shitty this year. Could definately use more.

How is the snow around your area? We were ridin' around there last year and your fields were beautiful! Wind didn't get to them like around our place. The fields were smooth as a tabletop.

Any rally's comin up that you are aware of??

·
Registered
17,180 Posts
The 02' Edge X has a fresh engine with about 400-500 miles on it.[/b]
maybe its still a little on the tight side..? On my 02 xc800, my rpms were spot on 8000 when brand new, but revved to 8300 after it was fully broken in, 7-800 miles or something.
Also, how your break-in will affect power as you know, and the fact that all sleds are different to some degree.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe its still a little on the tight side..? On my 02 xc800, my rpms were spot on 8000 when brand new, but revved to 8300 after it was fully broken in, 7-800 miles or something.
Also, how your break-in will affect power as you know, and the fact that all sleds are different to some degree.[/b]
I thought about that as well. Unfortunately, we did not put the engine together, but it was done at a reputable Polaris dealer complete with bills to prove. The sled is "new to us" this season. I came to us as a shorttrack and we longtracked and went through everything - drive bearings, chaincase bearings, regeared, primary clutch, installed TEAM roller secondary, etc....but we forgot to check out the timing!

I somehow doubt that they checked it after it was freshly rebuilt at high rpm (8000) to verify it was alright, so I'm thinkin' we need to check this for piece of mind.

[attachment=417141:IMG_2271.JPG]

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I do think this motor likes to be loaded. Gearing down doesnt seem to be a solution, as in old Pontiacs, use the torque! Use the Torque Luke, USE the Torque.... - Well thats the way it sounded in my head at that moment.. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....

General consensus is 480's - stock needle in middle clip.

I do have florites and SLP filters in the hood.....but stock airbox and foam filter. Will the flowrites make any difference on the jet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts