Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son runs my old 01 ZR600 EFI-- no problems in 4000 miles except I cannot get the cheap white plastic plug to completely seal the threaded hole where the carbed fuel line would enter the tank. I applied thread tape with helped in year one but the plug's fit is very sloppy. I hate to re-tap the hole and introduce plastic shavings into the tank--had a Polaris burn down once from this. It is also no fun working with the EFI air box so I would like to fix it right next time. Thanks in advance.
F7 snopro 900 mile no problems but keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
303 Posts
After you remove the plug, reinforce the tank boss with one of those narrow screw gear hose clamps (mini-clamp). Be careful not to over-tighten it. Re-install the plug with automotive RTV. Let the RTV cure at least 24 hr. before adding gas. Use plenty of RTV but apply only to the plug so as not to get any excess in the tank.

BobCat

·
Registered
443 Posts
No offense but RTV is Desolved by gasoline. It would work temporaly but would leak eventually. And god help you if it gets into the fuel lines and sticks the floats closed or kills the pump. If you have to retap it. Use a heavy wheel bearing grease and pack it in the slots of the tap. This will catch any plastic shaving, and keep them from going into the tank. We use this methode at the shop when install turbos and supercharges on cars. You have to run a return line to the oil pan and drill and tap a fitting on the pan. having metal shaving in the oil pan of a $12,000 motor is not an option. This will work for your needs as well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got a ZR 700 I did this to 6 years ago. Household RTV will give you trouble, I agree. If you use automotive type good for oil you will be OK. You have to let it cure which means 24 hrs or more. The real fix comes from the reinforcement of the clamp. It keeps the boss from expanding.

If you think the RTV is a risk, use Loktite thread sealer but let it cure 24 hrs also. Again, apply to the plug only so you don't get excess inside the tank.

BobCat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts