Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a project that is making me take apart my gearcase. anybody think i should change the gearing on this sled? sled is stock im 250 + w/ gear. i mostly trail ride but like to drag w/ friends whenever possible. in deep snow on the lake sled was around 105. dont know actual speed. all help appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
is stock 24/39?well doesn't matter if you want to run harder and faster for trail races 400-700ft. drop a couple teeth on top gear(=better holeshot) go up a tooth on bottom gear(=more grunt) this will take a little off top end. or leave bottom gear alone and just drop a couple on top. just leave cover off and test them see what you like. you might run out of adj. on chain tension bolt. if so get longer bolt or make one( put in a piece of all thread w/nut welded to end to adj.) whatever length you want. my cover is off more than on. if your studded heavy and get too much ski lift(wheelie) tighten limiter straps a little.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
You have 24/39 and if you were getting 105 on the lake with deep snow, I would leave that puppy alone. If you feel the need to gear down go to 23/40 and you can use the same chain. If you gear down two teeth on top like catdog1970 says, you could break something because of your 250lbs. I wouldn't do it. These sleds do not like to be geared down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
YEA C.D.800, THATS WHAT I SUGGESTED 23/40. BUT AS FAR AS NOT DROPPING 2 TEETH , WE RUN YEARROUND GRASS, ICE AND SNOW AND I RUN ALL THE WAY TO 21/39 WITH SAME CHAIN(LONGER ADJUSTMENT BOLT FOR CHAIN TENION) WE MAKE EM A PIECE OF ALLTHREAD WITH NUT WELDED ON END.WE BREAK ALOT OF shucks TESTING.AND THIS WORKS FINE,TRUST ME. IN A DAY OF TESTING I'LL RUN EVERYTHING FROM 19/43 TO 25/38 GEARS. GOOD LUCK P.S. I LIKE TO GEAR DOWN IT BRINGS THE MONSTER TO LIFE..

·
Premium Member
20,911 Posts
Gear down one to 23/39 and forget it. Use the stock 72p chain (you should likely replace yours through if its original). you will loose less than 3 mph on top IF you were fully shifted out before. at 250lbs you may not have been so you may very well gain mph by letting the clutch hit O.D. with the lower gearing. 23/39.
A chain is most efficient when it is running around larger gears with minimal bending, just a flowing curve on and off the sprocket. Wrapping and twisting it tight around a small gear is not the correct thing to do. for testing it is fine, but when you get the right ratio figured out for that particular day you should then buy the correct chain to fit those gears or get different gears that come out with the same ratio. i.e. 26/41 with a 74p chain is the same ratio as 24/38 with a 72. another: 22/37 70p = 25/42 74p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts