Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of a very low mileage 2001 ZL600 ESR for $3200
and I'm anxious for feedback / comments about this year & model. The sled
is perfect, never wrecked, bone stock ... not even studded.
Also, if you had $600 for mods for this ZL ... what would you tweak ?
Thanks for your time .

·
Registered
847 Posts
ZL's are EXCELLENT trial machines for the buck, but limited in their big bump capibilities due to softer shock calibration. $3200 is top dollar for a 2001 but not far off for a super clean low mile sled. I own a 2000 ZL600 and love it after making some minor modifications.

1) AD Boivin suspension coupling kit is a must have, if the 2001 does not have rear suspension coupling blocks like the ZR's do (I'm pretty sure the 2001 ZL is not coupled). This kit reduces inside ski lift when accelerating out of corners and eliminates kick-back over bumps. It also adds rear suspension spring rate for heavier rider like me.
$100

2) FOX RACING SHOX front and rear are a must for rough trials and future rebuilds (stock ZL shocks are not rebuildable and wear out quickly). FOX makes a kit specific for the ZL. Give this Shock Therapy in Durand , Mi a call http://www.shocktherapyracing.com/
$700 for a complete set of four (but two rear shocks are the least you should do).

3) Camoplast Rip Saw 1.25 track. Huge improvement over the stock track if you want to run with the big boys in the trials. I can run with just about anything in the twisty stuff and clean up in the powder.
$350

·
Registered
659 Posts
i got a feeling that at 64 yrs young he isnt interested in its jumping ability ... with that said i have the same model and its a great machine for trail riding for sure. its not bad for off trail for that matter either. it got pretty good reviews when it came out too check it out here http://www.maximumsled.com/reveiws/2001_zl...l600_review.htm

scoop it up youll like it...ride safe and dammit keep right...steve

·
Registered
659 Posts
oh and welcome to hcs champs43 the best damn snowmobile website worldwide :beerchug:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cat makes the coupling kit or did. I installed it on all our sleds and it
is a big improvement on the trail. Takes the kick out on the bumps.
Next would be the gas shocks. The kit was about 100$ includes beefer
rear arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts