Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a xc 800 that will not bleed the coolant. I’ve tried bleeding it every way that has been mentioned in any post on hcs. I just get steam out of the bleed screw. If I close the bleed screw after a min or so it will boil out of the coolant bottle. I checked the belt and pump. It’s a clogged belt and I can turn the engine by the water pump impeller. I’ve done compression tests and get 150 cold and 135/140 hot. I’ve done coolant compression test and will hold 15 psi.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
Have you checked the thermostat?

Reactions: sleeping_dragon

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i Have checked it and it is working. However this is happening with the thermostat removed

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
not moving coolant. your impella is broken or stripped. time to rebuild the water pump.
Exactly what Rick said,, and buy a new thermostat. Change the thermostat to part 7052267. It stops coolant from bypassing the coolers once the engine is warm. A must for max power and reliability it will keep your motor very happy. :bc:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked the water pump and it is in good working order. I took the thermostat out and have the same problem. Will not bleed and boils out of the bottle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a pressure test of the whole cooling system cap and bottle included and can hold 15 psi

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If the pump is working and impeller spins you don’t have enough coolant in it. First you need to elevate the front of sled so the bleeder is the highest. I usually unhook the torsion springs so the skid fully compressed and then jack up the front a bit. Being that the coolant bottle is lower than the tsat makes it more difficult. I have a rubber hose that will wedge into the coolant bottle so it’s higher than the stat. Open the bleeder and add coolant till it comes out the bleeder. Shut the bleeder and fire up the sled with the hose still in the bottle. Bleed it a few times again to make sure engine is full of coolant. Then keep running it till the stat opens up and the coolers and hoses coming out of coolers to bottle are warm. At this point you should be good to go. Then I suck some coolant out of the bottle and hose I put in it till it’s at the appropriate level. You could just open the bleeder while it’s running to drop the level in the bottle also.

Never open the bleeder without the sled running unless you raise the level of coolant in the bottle above the bleeder level. Like I mentioned with shoving a hose into the bottle that seals. Otherwise you will introduce air into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have lifted the front end and have bled it every single way imaginable. It will not bleed. I have confirmed a few times that the air is out of the entire system I then try to run it and it blows out of the bottle. Again I have done compression checks and come out with 150 psi cold and 134/140 psi hot. I have checked the water pump and belt both are in good working order. I have also done compression checks on the coolant system including the bottle and cap. I have 15 psi and holds . I’ve tried bleeding it with nose way up in the air and have tilted in on both sides. It will not bleed out. Just steam.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
hmmm.. A piece of impeller broke off and stuck in there somewhere?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bleed it as per the manual then I tried with the nose raised I’ve also tried it lifting the left side and the right side. Bleed screw is only open while engine is running. I’ve done every method of bleeding I have read on any posts on here. A little background. I grew up in a radiator shop I’m a industrial mechanic/millwright and stationary engineer

·
Registered
40,342 Posts
Only thing left it can be is a blockage somewhere in the heat exchangers. I mentioned the coolant bottle, and cap cause i had a defective one on my 01 600 edge that was replaced in warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to look for a blockage tonight probably just take the hose off the thermostat housing and try blowing through it. It should spit antifreeze out of the housing without the thermostat in place.

·
Registered
40,342 Posts
Was just a crazy thought...seeing you did a pressure test, what if one of the cylinders developed a small crack into the cooling system, but didn't show up under a pressure test, Would it only happen when under the heat of a running engine?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts