Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a new motor for my sled and I need to find out what are the best things to modify to get the most bang for the buck. my sled is totally stock but I just bought v-forceIII reeds for it. I need to find out what are the things I need to do with it to stop being eaten up by all my buddies with older 700's. I know you gus all get asked this all the time but I have a limeted buget to deal with and the chages I make I would not want the fuel econemy to be effected too much for those long runs in the bush

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
440 main jets, lift the needle .020" richer then stock, bare min on gearing is 24/41 all you need is a 24 tooth top gear use your chain and lower gear. I end up going to a button clutch on mine so all I can tell you set your clutching to run 7600~7700 rpm on WOT runs. a 1.25 track is almost a must , that motor has really good TQ and will throw roost big time! VF III reeds need a little set up of the carbs to be perfect most of the time you need to lean out the idle screws some. except for clutching , reeds, high compression head and track and gearing mine is all stock and RIPS!

BE VERY carefull with jetting all 2001 xc 800 out of the box are VERY lean in the midrange! do not jet down without richening the needle! My xc would get over 12.5 mpg at speeds around 50mph or less exactly as listed. 440 mains are good to about -15*F .

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Lean the mains 2 sizes from stock with the reeds. Almond/blue primary, 10-66 weights, blue/orange #2, and a hot seat HSP54/36S helix. Keep stock gears. Also do the usual clutch alignment, torque stop, and primary clutch set-ups. Check to be sure the carb slides clear the bores completely on the engine side at full throttle.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Originally posted by rbrobbel@Oct 5 2005, 05:15 PM
that 24 sprocket would that bring the gearing higher or lower than stock, and would you change the jetting at all with the reeds I would rather be conservitive to presurve my motor
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=910711
[/quote]

even with a 24 tooth top gear that sled will still go over 110 mph , no problem! your ratio will go from 1.64 to 1.70. thats not a huge change, it tight trails it make the sled faster corner to corner and get going from a stand still quicker.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if I drop my gearing That would be cheaper than changing the wieghts and helix I wonder if I could get away with changing the gearing and the right spring combination without a new helix or changing the wieghts, then dropping the jets 2 sizes lower its a hard decision to make because there is so much good advice, I worry about messing with the jetting because sometimes I ride up north its very cold!! :dunno: and I don't like to mess with the clutches to much cause I dont have the alighnment tools

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
If you jet according to pockets' suggestions and with the reeds , you should get decent mileage , buddy got 11-12mpg out of his bone stock.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Pockets setup works pretty well, I have it in mine. Peace,beeler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.