Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my buddies exhaust off and looked at the pistons. Its a 2001 T-Cat with just under 6000 miles. Mag side piston had one pretty good scatch, so we pulled the cylinder off. With 12 o'clock being the center of the exhaust port, there are two really bad scrtaches at 10:00 and 2:00 on both the cylider and the piston. seems to be in direct alignment with the edge of the casting indentation for the rist pin. Didn't do a compression check to see what the diff was but both other cylinders and pistons were perfect. Could this just be fategue or should we be looking at something else. Piston arm moves a good 1/8" back and forth on the crank bearing but I don't know if this is normal.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Also need a new mag side cylinder. One scatch appears to be thru the nickasil.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Bob, sounds like it got a little hot on that cylinder...time for a new piston. I would also like to think you should pull the motor and split the cases and put in a water pump kit and new crank seals, just incase.

As for the 'piston arm', connecting rod, that side to side play is normal. It's the up and down play that is no good!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, Thanks. Actually put in a new water pump last year, so hopefully should be all set. I will say we did have one ride last year in about 30" of snow where the sled got hot enough to melt the coolant bottle and plastic screen covers.

Just talk to my buddy and he has the pistons (SPI) ordered and found a new cylinder for $185 plus shipping. I thought that was a pretty decent price compared to the ones I've had to purchase for my old 580

Thanks Again

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE - ordered new cylinder ($180 brand new - great deal) and new pistons. Replaced clutchside and middle pistons. When we took the mag side pison off and removed the wrist pin bearing, there was one bearing missing. I know we did not drop it. So how the hell could one of those pins come out and make its way to the top of the piston? The wrist pin bearing sleeve is spotless. Not a scatch. I would think that pin would have do have broken up and it would have made a mess of the other bearings or scoured the race.

Anyone ever seen this. Actaully made us feel better that there may have been a reason for the problem. We also noticed that this was not a recent issue. With steel wool and brake fluid, I could not easily remove the carbon deposits built up it the piston scatches. Could this have been like this right from when the sled was new or not likely. Just cant see how one pin bearing could make its way out but it is obvious by the condition of the head that something got uin there. On a side note the day my buddy picked up the sled brand new and went to load it in the trailer he got quite a surprise. 24' four place. Touched the throttle up over the rear ramp and throttle stuck. launched him half way into the trailer and with both hands on the brake, didn't dare to let go in order to hit the kill switch or wipe his ass. Almost made a new opening in the trailer. Anyway backed it off and dealer fixed but could something from card get into cylider and maybe have been the problem from the start?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts