Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding buddy of mine has an '01 rmk 700, 144" track. He does have a can on it, couldn't tell you what kind right now, and v-force 3 reeds and cages. I assume the can shouldn't change the target peak hp rpm's.

Our riding style is boondocking and climbing. He is only getting about 35 mph track speed when climbing, and both of us think it should be better. For starters, he said he is turning about 7800-7900 rpm's when wide open. It would help to know what the target is for peak hp?
Also, his clutching is stock. He's buying a Dragon next year, so doesn't want to put too much $$ into it. Anyone willing to share some small changes that might help, like say different springs or helix angle? TIA

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Riding buddy of mine has an '01 rmk 700, 144" track. He does have a can on it, couldn't tell you what kind right now, and v-force 3 reeds and cages. I assume the can shouldn't change the target peak hp rpm's.

Our riding style is boondocking and climbing. He is only getting about 35 mph track speed when climbing, and both of us think it should be better. For starters, he said he is turning about 7800-7900 rpm's when wide open. It would help to know what the target is for peak hp?
Also, his clutching is stock. He's buying a Dragon next year, so doesn't want to put too much $$ into it. Anyone willing to share some small changes that might help, like say different springs or helix angle? TIA[/b]

sounds like you may be running rich on the jetting. 8100 is about right for the 700. what do the plugs look like?? how about piston wash?? you can replace the primary spring, it may be sacked out over time, $20. look at the motor mounts, torn mounts caus all kinds of problems. clutches hot?? blowing belts?? track tension?? track speed should be up around 50 mph if all things are working well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. So, 8100, that's good to know. I'm wondering if the can made him lose rpm, I've heard that several times.

Primary spring was replaced last year, maybe 500 miles on it.
Belt wears fine, it would be breaking them or wearing them badly if a bad motor mount.
I told him the same thing about hot clutches, we need to have him do a good pull and then check them.
Plugs and piston wash are good, look like cardboard.
He made the comment that he "thought" his track might be too tight, we already plan on checking that.

First thing we'll do is get his peak rpm up to 8100.

After that, I really think it may be his clutching. Maybe it's not stock like he assumes and the first owner changed it towards a drag set up, like a lower finish angle on the helix, etc., or something.

Can anyone share what was stock for both springs, the helix, and the weights (arms)? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts