Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. I see a 01 prox 600 on ebay. Seller states crank bearing are bad. Does this usually happen with 1900 miles on it. How hard is it to fix? Does the whole crank get redone or just the bearings. Seller also states new bearings come with it. Does something else go wrong when the bearings go in the crank. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
They shouldnt have gone bad that soon. Be careful, as the rod bearings/pins in a 600 are not replaceable, like they are on the 700 and 800. If just the mains are bad, then it shouldnt be a problem to fix for a competent crank builder. The chances of just the mains being bad are slim...

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,918 Posts
Improper off-season storage is far more damaging to bearings than high mileage. I've seen motors with less than 1000 miles show up in my shop with bad con rods/bearings from sitting in storage (consider the lack of snow the last few years). With that few miles on a sled that is now 6 years old, that is a lot of time spent sitting. One other question is how does the seller know the bearings are bad? Are the cylinders and pistons all scored up from bearing debris floating around in the cylinders? Depending on what is going on, you might be into it for a full rebuild, not just some crank work.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I just looked , Its currently priced higher then I think its worth knowing it most likely will need a motor. you can find a 600 motor in good shape for 1500.00 any day of the week but almost never below 1200.00....... that over 3000.00 for the sled that you will have to revalve all 4 shocks to make it trailable. the 2001 prox is a one year only skid frame that is a little differnt from all the other year sleds. I would pass and find a 2003 or 2004 for the 3000~3200 dollar ride it now price.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Used cranks go from as low as $200 on ebay. Today there was a brand new 600ves engine that went for $610, just had a crack on the case where the reeds bolt up to. It is easy to shop around and have a great engine to put together. I bought a new 600 crank for $350! Really nice shape 600 cylinders for $250, new pistons for $100, all going in my used case. And it will run practically new when I decide to use it as it will be a spare. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts