Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2000 ZRT800. I have already swaped the cylinders with some 900cc ones I had. I am also wondering if the 98 CDI box is better then the 2000? Are they interchangable? I heard something about the 2000's were detuned compaired to the 98? If this is true and I was to swap the 00 cdi for the 98 cdi do I need to change the stator too? Also.. doesnt the 2000 have some kind of throttle sensor for the rack style carbs ? If so and I swapped to the 98 what do you do about this?

I am kinda new to cats and dont know the secrets yet... someone teach me !!

lol

thanx

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Don't put a key in it. You get bad gas once and you will smoke the engine.
The 2000 is the first year that uses the 3D Ignition. it will not interchange with anything from an earlier sled, only a later sled.
It is a good setup also make sure when you clean the carb, you don't forget
to hook up the wiring on the tps on the mag side of the carb rack.
If you forget to hook it up you will also smoke the engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by snow800@Sep 6 2005, 08:42 PM
Don't put a key in it. You get bad gas once and you will smoke the engine.
The 2000 is the first year that uses the 3D Ignition. it will not interchange with anything from an earlier sled, only a later sled.
It is a good setup also make sure when you clean the carb, you don't forget
to hook up the wiring on the tps on the mag side of the carb rack.
If you forget to hook it up you will also smoke the engine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=863291
[/quote]

Thank you for your input. I dont think I will put a key in it... I used to advance my timing on my RM250 but I dont want to kill 3 cylinders !! lol.. one isnt too bad but 3 is a lil much. Again thanx....

Oh ya... and that motor looks killer... I was thinking about doing my ZRT in green... but then lost gumption!! lol... so I only did the heads. lol

G

·
I have the same question, sort of. I have a 2000 ZRT800 and I think the stator is bad or the CDI. It is only running on 2 cylinders. It had good compression too. I swapped my cdi over and my stator over to a set from a 1998 that I purchased as backups. It runs great now, but I am worried that I do not have the plug in on the carbs plugged in. Correct me if I am wrong on this, if I am using a stator and cdi out of an older sled I really dont need that plug in pluged in do I? Doesnt that just tell the CDI unit what position the slides are in so the CDI can correct timing? If you are not using a CDI or Stator out of the newer sled wont it just work as it would in the 98 ZRT which did not have the sensor?

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Thanks< I put a lot of time in it.

I send the crank out to be trued and welded and had a little time on my hands.

So I ported the cylinders, sent the pistons out to get Swain coated, cut the heads

It runs really strong.
Here is a few pics of just the engine when I put it back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
ZRTWanaB, I am surprised that the 98 CDI box pluged into the 2000 wiring harness! The TPS (throttle position sensor) on the flat slids is used to adjust the ign. timing for certain throttle openings. There are 12 differant ign. timing curves that are controlled by engine RPM and the TPS. This system is refered to as the 3-D ign. system and is used on 500/580/600/800/1000 cc engines. This system allows the ECU (CDI) to select the timing curve that is best suited for maney operating cond. but was retarted to keep the spark plug tip temps below 750* celcuis (1385* F) It can be adjusted on the sled by useing the TPS adjustment tool p/n 0644-299. With that said I think the 98 ZRT800 had the best ing. combo of all the 800 triples. To confirm its operation get yourself a timing light and check the timing. I am not sure but I think that the ign. timing on the 1998 ZRT800 is 27*/4000 rpm.

Auggie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts