My Polaris experience ( 2015 Pro-X Switchback 800HO) - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By MSAREV
  • 1 Post By fastsleddr
  • 2 Post By MSAREV
  • 1 Post By MSAREV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 PRO-X SB
Previous Sled(s): 2007 800HO Blizzz, 2003.5 BlairMorgan,2000 SRX
Favorite Riding Area: TEAM BUCKHORN!!!!
Default My Polaris experience ( 2015 Pro-X Switchback 800HO)

Hello all - Since the riding season is pretty much over, i'd like to give my opinions/tech info/ and help for some who have questions....this is my first Polaris, so here goes.
2015 Polaris 800H.O. PRO-X switchback 137- purchased in October of 2014 - was a snowcheck, not sure if someone cancelled or what. I was a little leary about the 1-3/4 track for trail riding....and leary about the taller ride height in the front end compared to a PRO-S. What a FUN sled. Stock backcountry track had great traction & braking in a straight-line...but had some vibration depending on conditions. And the front end handling ? It was OK stock - a little hairy in some corners....especially compared to the PRO-S which is still like they are on rails.
SO - small improvements made of the past 6 seasons? 2016-PRO-S sway-bar. On trial it made it a FUN-FUN sled - that with a PRO-R bar riser (4.5" i believe ) WAY better stability while not ruining the playfulness of the PRO-X. 2017-swapped out the 1.75" backcountry track with a standard 1.25" ripsaw II plan on studding, along with gearing it up to a 1.74 ratio in the chaincase. Still had good traction on trail...little less off. WAY SMOOTHER, little faster. played with clutch springs & 68g weights....stock is still pretty good, as long as the springs are fresh. 2018 - Northstar performance clutch kit. best bang for my buck here - better everywhere. Most noticeable was low end/midrange.....added roughly 4-5 mph on top end down the trail. Religiously went through this site for any updates/issues/ problems so i know what to look for as the miles pile up.....so before the 2019 season I had to have the Y-pipe welded , finally pulled the powervalves, and replaced all the relays , and oh yea was on maybe 2nd set of motor mounts....and the 2nd belt and i maybe changed the spark plugs once. Overall - completely satisfied.
January 2019 on my first trip after doing all the work to make sure i won't have any issues on trail ( w/6800 trouble free miles on it) - DE7 (DET) warning light kept coming on....I couldn't believe my $hit was doing this....had to have reset it 10-15 times before the LAST time.......it went down. I kept thinking it was a loose wire or something i hooked back up hastily that may be causing the DEt warning light....nope. stupid me. The one thing i forgot to do - - Change the FUEL SOCK !! Oh , and yea i think i need to have the shocks taken apart and oil changed/nitrogen charged....lol
So yea - BAD damage. the detonation caused a piston circlip to come out and caused havoc. Head ruined. MAG Cylinder gouged & damaged.MAG piston done. It even damaged the upper part of the MAG side connecting rod. On to many questions to the Pro's on this site...sorry if i bugged ya a little Rick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	818.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	2080544   Click image for larger version

Name:	189.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2080546   Click image for larger version

Name:	192.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	2080548   Click image for larger version

Name:	195.jpg
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	2080550   Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	2080552  

"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
MSAREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Renegade 1200
Previous Sled(s): All Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: THE GREAT NORTH WOODS
19-20 Mileage: 1899.7
18-19 Mileage: 1579
17-18 Mileage: 1379
16-17 Mileage: 1741
Riding Since: 2001

Not many 800's going over 5000 without close attention to them or grenading IMHO
My riding buddy's 2016 Assualt self destructed at 5200, total scrap job, can't let the 800 2 smokes get too warm too many times.
Nor'easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

So after tear-down....and many beers trying to think how much this is going to cost me....
Talked to many people/companies. After doing so i turned to Indy Specialties as I've heard so many good things about them by all. Not the cheapest - but i had to start somewhere. I ended up sending my damaged cylinder and my crankshaft to them for evaluation - and wanted the HG7 torque plate hone so many had mentioned how much better that was over standard exchange cylinders also..... so i ended up have them rebuild my crankshaft with the improved rods (oiling holes) and they replaced the PTO bearing with heavier duty bearings also ,along with a top end with their recommended OEM pistons. Since the head was messed up on the MAG side i ended up ordering the 2018+ cylinder head & thermostat also. along with all OEM gaskets & seals. I was so close to snowchecking a 2020 sled back in April of 2019....for the $$$ i spend fixing this one i'm glad i didn't.

I had a lot of help from my Dad , son and good friends on the tear-down.....along with work on all the sleds that i work on in my shop. it was a very busy fall - but i DID NOT want to have to ride an old bone back-up sled. Thank god i was able to come up with a service manual - as it was also my first time rebuilding a new or newer Polaris...
Went back together well.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	028.jpg
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	2080554   Click image for larger version

Name:	146.jpg
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	2080556   Click image for larger version

Name:	156.jpg
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	2080558   Click image for larger version

Name:	161.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	2080560   Click image for larger version

Name:	168.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2080562  

Name:	170.jpg
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	2080564  
Bontz, dskofich and rockin like this.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Old 03-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

So as anyone who fixes things, especially snowmobiles you always want to find the "WHY" it broke. From what i take away from this my MAG side cylinder kept getting lean and detonating. why was it happening ?? Well..... i was convinced it was the Fuel sock , and/or the MAG side crank oil seal. ( see pictures of crank seal ) could the cracked Y-pipe helped on the damage the year before?? don't know as I've never had this sled even hiccup in the first 4 years and 6500 miles - always ran good and pulled good RPM/good performer all the way up to the last trip in April of 2018. I inspected the V-force reeds and the intake socket/boot and they checked out good. So i'm back to the MAG side crankseal & fuel sock. For good measures i replaced my powervalve cable with a new & updated one and replaced the little springs behind the guillotine valves( search this also)

So all owners - please check this stuff for the next season.
*Change the Fuel sock every 2500-4000 miles
*clean & inspect the powervalves - they are an easy clean/check for all components(valves/springs/cable)
* maybe replace stock relays ( search this)
*Change motor mounts , at least inspect them as you'll know if they are worn out visually
*grease the driveline bearings (jackshaft/drive shaft) and change chaincase oil/ adjust chain at least yearly
* also check the condition of the exhaust donut seals....and the exhaust springs can wear out/get weak...replace them they are cheap.
* Double check the obvious stuff with the PRO-XC suspension - bushings at all the pivots , idler wheel bearings.....Hyfax ( i'm only on my 3rd set)
* Front suspension - tighten up the bushings at the beginning of the season (search) - or replace with better bushings from Northstar Rick/Indy Specialties....there are better options than OEM here. Also - check overall condition of steering bell cranks - tie rods and make sure tie rod ends are straight so they don't bind & damage the bell cranks.....easy stuff to look for. Make sure front end is aligned & straight with maybe slight toe-out. Shimming the ski's is an easy job to help with darting ( search this )
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Dang - i forgot to upload the pics....

So i managed @ 1100 miles on the PRO-X this year......Still as fun as EVER! total mileage is almost 8000....

What i learned from this year that i will do in the off season to get ready for next year??

*Shocks rebuilt, possibly will look into dual rate springs maybe?

*Balance the Primary clutch!!! holy cow that thing is now all over the place. Indy Specialties it will go...

* will pick up some new & improved a-arm bushings also

I may be handing this beast down to my son - so if anyone has a XCR 850 they will be selling this fall - hit me up.

I hope this helps all !!!!

I forgot to thank Rick from Northstar performance....my god you know your stuff you should charge for your internet & phone time! Thank you Bruce & Devin at Indy Specialties - you guys also know Polaris stuff and fast turn-around on service! Thanks Matt from MCB performance - great guy to deal with on Doo's & Polaris's in Michigan. The guys at US27 Motorsports - where i purchase a majority of my OEM parts / sales / Service - great place to go hang out....you know, buy stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	2080566   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	2080568   Click image for larger version

Name:	154.jpg
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	2080570   Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	2080572   Click image for larger version

Name:	178.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	2080574  

Last edited by MSAREV; 03-26-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): 2015 /16AXYS 800 SB 19 Indy 850
Previous Sled(s): Lots of everything
Favorite Riding Area: the bedroom YEEHAW!!
19-20 Mileage: 2750+
18-19 Mileage: 2500+
17-18 Mileage: 3300+
16-17 Mileage: 2860+
Riding Since: 1968

I've been seeing bad injectors, as of late. I recommend sending them in and having them tested.

Also-hook it up to digital wrench and have everything checked.

Know a guy that skipped these steps, and his rebuild went down at 6 miles.
dskofich likes this.
fastsleddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Good point. I have read that on here more than once. Fuel quality is always an issue.
I forgot to mention that i took my sled in after i was done putting everything back together to US27 so they could plug it in to digital wrench , read & clear codes - and then put everything back into "break-in mode"

Also - My dad's 2015 60th anniversary PRO-S 800HO switchback , after doing ALL of the checks / fuel sock / clutch springs.....etc. Is still running Strong and it's all original with just over 7800+ miles on it..... I rode it a couple weeks ago when we were up in da Yoop and it runs good! guess we changed the fuel sock in time, or his was built on Wednesday maybe??? He's thinking about getting a left-over Indy XC 137......we'll see.

I forgot to mention - I WILL be buying another Polaris , now that i've ridden a good buddy's Indy XC 137 850.....wow is that thing smoooooth and powerful. The AXYS chassis is just so much more.....FUN to ride more than anything i've ridden....., i'll have to make judgment on the new Maytyx chassis when i get to ride one or two, but that's what is intriguing me about the Indy XCR chassis at the moment.

I wish i could ride more......oh well....gotta make $$ to be able to ride, right ??
dskofich and Wadgey like this.

Last edited by MSAREV; 03-26-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

When my $hit went down last year in January - I forgot about this.....

What are friends for, right ??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	227.jpg
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	2080640  
dskofich likes this.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'easter View Post
Not many 800's going over 5000 without close attention to them or grenading IMHO
My riding buddy's 2016 Assualt self destructed at 5200, total scrap job, can't let the 800 2 smokes get too warm too many times.
Thatís the old motor.
Sledtuner360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement