2015 800 Diagnostic Help - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kicker806

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Ann. 800 Pro-S SB, 2009 Turbo Switchback
Previous Sled(s): 1972 Polaris Charger 400 SS and about 30 sleds since
Favorite Riding Area: NSST, Vahalla, UP
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2850
17-18 Mileage: 1000
16-17 Mileage: 220
Riding Since: 1976
Default 2015 800 Diagnostic Help

Scootin down the trail tonight and cracked it open. Fell on its face and then wouldn't rev above 6500 or so. No CEL and ran/idled fine. My first thoughts were exhaust valve cable.

After shutting it down for a while to try and figure things out, it did the same, but what confused me is that it had bursts up to 7800 or so, then back down into the 6000's. If the cable broke, would I have intermittent surges of rpm? Any other thoughts?? The trails are finally PERFECT and I gotta get back out there!!

Thanks in advance.
2015 Anniversary 800 Pro-S Switchback - SLP pipe/can, Indy Specialty trail clutch kit/balancing, revalved shocks/dual rate FTS spring - HyGear, studded 1.35 Cobra, 7.5" Shapers, 4.5" riser, Sentinel handguards w/ mirrors, Polaris front/rear bumpers, rear/windshield bags
Kicker806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback Pro R, srx 700 grass dragger
Previous Sled(s): All Yamahas
Favorite Riding Area: northern michigan
Riding Since: 1992

Check the relays for corrosion. Could be making contact with no load and when the motor tries to pull it breaks contact.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 600 Indy
Favorite Riding Area: Sioux Ontario

How many miles on the sled..... Pull out an exhaust valve and see what it looks
like it may need a good cleaning, did you put fresh gas in the tank when you stored
it after the riding season...... Also do a google search on this site for your specific
problem.....
Rzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 600 Indy
Favorite Riding Area: Sioux Ontario

Here this may help from a known mechanic on here, this is his answer to a problem
similiar to yours....

if the compression is o.k.? then a fuel presure test should be next.(58-60 p.s.i.) then varify the exhaust vavles are operating. it could be a non working solenoid? pinch off the line going to the solenoid and run the sled. if it turns the right rpm's then the solenoid is bad or wiring to it. the exhaust temp sensor will limit rpm to 6000-6500 rpm's but should have a check engine light on. unplug it and start the sled and see if you get a light? it could be clogged injectors but usally it would stumble,bog,backfire,etc. at other rpm's or through out the rpm range? that year the injectors switch back and fourth between the lower/higher injectors through out the intire rpm range. i would bet where the lines in the tank were bad that the problem is your fuel pump is plugged or has been damaged from sucking air etc.? and not being able to supply enough fuel flow/presure at the upper rpm range.

Hope this helps..... Post is from 02-08-2013 title sled wont run past 6000rpm
Rzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Ann. 800 Pro-S SB, 2009 Turbo Switchback
Previous Sled(s): 1972 Polaris Charger 400 SS and about 30 sleds since
Favorite Riding Area: NSST, Vahalla, UP
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2850
17-18 Mileage: 1000
16-17 Mileage: 220
Riding Since: 1976

I REALLY appreciate all the help and suggestions - thank you! Went ahead and pulled the exhaust valves and the cable was toast. Nearest one is a little over two hours south, but as luck would have it, my buddy is coming up to ride tomorrow and he literally drives right past the dealership. Glad it crapped out on me today and not tomorrow!

Thanks again!
trottlejo and ottawaair like this.
2015 Anniversary 800 Pro-S Switchback - SLP pipe/can, Indy Specialty trail clutch kit/balancing, revalved shocks/dual rate FTS spring - HyGear, studded 1.35 Cobra, 7.5" Shapers, 4.5" riser, Sentinel handguards w/ mirrors, Polaris front/rear bumpers, rear/windshield bags
Kicker806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement