Stock deck to exhaust port measurement - Page 4 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): Cat, Poo, Cat, Yamie
Favorite Riding Area: ON TOP OF THE WIFE
18-19 Mileage Not bad
17-18 Mileage: All U.P. miles
16-17 Mileage: Not enough
15-16 Mileage: Slow start
Riding Since: 99

I have no good to say about Priceless.. he had a good name and was worth trusting so I thought.. but after this mess and all the shit he said promised that never happened his name is now garbage to me.. he promised dyno time all summer and winter to get this setup tuned right and my sled never seen the dyno.. this was his setup that he talked me into, told me it would be more reliable then the BB I wanted with similar power.. sled was no faster then stock and wasnt even close to realiable.. also it was suppose to be ported and now that we have it apart there is no sign of any porting to this motor.. so I pay him to port it for nothing?
booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): Cat, Poo, Cat, Yamie
Favorite Riding Area: ON TOP OF THE WIFE
18-19 Mileage Not bad
17-18 Mileage: All U.P. miles
16-17 Mileage: Not enough
15-16 Mileage: Slow start
Riding Since: 99

Like MeatHead stated If your in Mi come and see the port job I never got
booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Admin - Nick

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 800 & 600 H.O. Fusion
Previous Sled(s): All Polarii and one Yamaha.
Favorite Riding Area: Most anywhere north of M-28.
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
Agree he has a good rap, and guys like him. The exact reason he took it to him. Completely Jason's call on the fix kit, he promised way more than he gave. That's a fact. Your in MI right, you can gladly see the parts and sled if you think this is bs. My shop is always open for sledding.
For me it's a piston clearance problem, intake only on the mag side scuffed up.

Just not sure why he started playing with polaris, costly mistake for booboo to trust him.
Never called it bs and I don't need to see it. Again, was just sharing my personal experience and opinion, nothing more.
sayatodaU.P.eh? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 800 Etec
Previous Sled(s): Pile of shit D8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayatodaU.P.eh? View Post
Never called it bs and I don't need to see it. Again, was yjust sharing my personal experience and opinion, nothing more.
Just used your post to try to save this from a derail. Maybe I was too direct but seems like every post anymore turns into owner fault no madder what site it is. Anyway the invite was real if you ever get up north.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 Pro s 800
Previous Sled(s): 03 f7,00 xcr 800,00 xc600sp,96 ultra,89 650,v-max 540, SS440
Favorite Riding Area: Up
Riding Since: 4

I checked crank runout when I replaced crank seals per the manual and it was within tolerance. I’m sending the crank off to be completely checked and gone through. Along with taking the ported cylinder off. Mine would also eat the intake side. Exhaust was fine and so was the crown. I was given a new shim ( I checked the old one on a surface plate and it was flat). I also verified that cylinder bolts were not bottoming out.
jfaub63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS Pr-S SB Ann 800, 2019 Indy 850.
Previous Sled(s): 2003 XCR 1100, 2000 XCR 800, 2005 Redline Revolt 800.
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, Gaylord
18-19 Mileage 849 so far
17-18 Mileage: 1280
16-17 Mileage: 1115
15-16 Mileage: 1310
Riding Since: 1982

Just talked to my friend. He confirmed that the original problem was the 1/4" steel spacer. And the too long bolts. This caused black specks to enter his cooling system. Apparently from oil getting pushed in from the case.

After many rebuilds, he finally ran a bottoming tap into all the case bolt holes, then installed the new aluminum plate without gaskets, but with plastigage strips top and bottom then torqued shorter bolts down to spec. This helped him to confirm that all plastigage was compressing uniformly. Then he removed the cylinder, cleaned the plastigage off, installed the new gaskets and shorter bolts with washers.

Once everything was back together, he took it trail riding. Then, he realized that the engine was overheating more than normal. 150 degrees.

He used a infrared temp gun to determine that the rear heat exchanger wasn't getting up to the same temp as the engine. 80 degrees. Turned out that it was plugged by those black specks.

He flushed Muratic acid through it and rinsed with water till it was clear.

Now has 2000 miles on it with Wiseco pistons. Runs better than ever has.

Moral of the story:
Don't automatically assume that the Wisecos didn't have enough clearance just because they seized.
Check for problems with bleeding and blockage of cooling system.
patrioticinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ProS8, SBA8, D8, XCR8, SRX7, F7, VMAX4QP
Previous Sled(s): Pro-X 440, 99 XCR 700

This is my 2 cents. Some people will have their opinions and that’s fine. I’m not here to sell anything and have no benefit no matter what anybody runs.

The SSI pipe mod has a tight stinger outlet. I believe the SSI pipe was supposedly close to the pipe mod. It was tight on a stocker. Add a higher flowing ported cylinder and it’s going to be worse. Forged pistons are going to be more sensitive to that tight stinger outlet holding more exhaust heat in. My recommendation is to try a different exhaust.

Forged pistons have less silicon in them. This makes them less thermally stable. It also makes them generally softer. The soft piston works great in four strokes as it’s less likely to crack under detonation. In a cheese grater two stroke it’s generally not the piston of choice. It looks like your seizing pistons. Yes, you can seize a cast stock piston but I think your chance of that happening with a forged piston are far greater. I doubt anybody making pistons has anywhere close to the R&D time Polaris has on their pistons.

I’ve built a couple ported 800HO motors. SLP and BMP pipes, PCV’s with advanced timing and stock pistons. Thousands of miles logged and no failures. The ported motor usually loses low end response and the gas mileage suffers trail riding. Best of luck to you guys.
Dr.Notadoo likes this.

Promise Yourself:
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet. To make all your friends feel that there is something in them. To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best. To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own....
xcrspx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
18-19 Mileage 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrspx2 View Post
This is my 2 cents. Some people will have their opinions and thatís fine. Iím not here to sell anything and have no benefit no matter what anybody runs.

The SSI pipe mod has a tight stinger outlet. I believe the SSI pipe was supposedly close to the pipe mod. It was tight on a stocker. Add a higher flowing ported cylinder and itís going to be worse. Forged pistons are going to be more sensitive to that tight stinger outlet holding more exhaust heat in. My recommendation is to try a different exhaust.

Forged pistons have less silicon in them. This makes them less thermally stable. It also makes them generally softer. The soft piston works great in four strokes as itís less likely to crack under detonation. In a cheese grater two stroke itís generally not the piston of choice. It looks like your seizing pistons. Yes, you can seize a cast stock piston but I think your chance of that happening with a forged piston are far greater. I doubt anybody making pistons has anywhere close to the R&D time Polaris has on their pistons.

Iíve built a couple ported 800HO motors. SLP and BMP pipes, PCVís with advanced timing and stock pistons. Thousands of miles logged and no failures. The ported motor usually loses low end response and the gas mileage suffers trail riding. Best of luck to you guys.

That is true for 2618 alloy, as used in Wiseco pistons. The Wossners use 4032, which is a much higher silicone content material, with similar thermal stability to a stock cast piston, which alloys tighter piston to wall, and have more wear resistance because they are harder. Not quite as strong as a 2618, but much stronger than cast. I personally wouldn't run a pipe from ssi if they gave it to me and paid me to use it.
Frankie406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ProS8, SBA8, D8, XCR8, SRX7, F7, VMAX4QP
Previous Sled(s): Pro-X 440, 99 XCR 700

4032 is approximately 12% silicon. Cast are quite often 18-20% silicon. That’s 1.5 + times more silicon.

Promise Yourself:
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet. To make all your friends feel that there is something in them. To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best. To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own....
xcrspx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #40 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
18-19 Mileage 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrspx2 View Post
4032 is approximately 12% silicon. Cast are quite often 18-20% silicon. Thatís 1.5 + times more silicon.

A hyperuetectic cast can be that high. But, a forged piston with 12% silicone content, is plenty. The silicone makes a cast piston stronger, slippery but a lot more brittle. When they go, they usually bust into chunks. And many times, a chunk blows a hole in your crank case. Stock pistons are fine in these engines no doubt, and more forgiving, but there is nothing wrong with using a forged. Especially one made from 4032. You get the benefits from thermal stability from having silicone, the strength of forged, can run reasonable piston to wall clearance, and the Wossners I have, were $100 each. Vs $250 each for Axys h.o. replacements. Kind of an easy decision if you ask me.
Frankie406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement