2016 and 2017 pro s 800ís with coolant leak - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default my 16 Pro S 800 developed a small leak too

Bumping this prior thread. I pulled my 16 Pro S 800 out of the trailer and like the original post, I noticed a few drops of coolant on the trailer floor. Cannot find any evidence of coolant inside the engine compartment. Bottle was low (empty); filled it ran sled 160 miles. Ran fine and bottle was a little low (not empty). Will run her today to see if maybe it was just an air pocket.

Anyone find any actual cause in their sled ?
edgexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS Pr-S SB Ann 800, 2019 Indy 850.
Previous Sled(s): 2003 XCR 1100, 2000 XCR 800, 2005 Redline Revolt 800.
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, Gaylord
18-19 Mileage 849 so far
17-18 Mileage: 1280
16-17 Mileage: 1115
15-16 Mileage: 1310
Riding Since: 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgexer View Post
Bumping this prior thread. I pulled my 16 Pro S 800 out of the trailer and like the original post, I noticed a few drops of coolant on the trailer floor. Cannot find any evidence of coolant inside the engine compartment. Bottle was low (empty); filled it ran sled 160 miles. Ran fine and bottle was a little low (not empty). Will run her today to see if maybe it was just an air pocket.

Anyone find any actual cause in their sled ?
If bottle was found empty you have a leak, and if you refilled it, you MUST bleed the cooling system by tilting the sled to it's left side at 45 deg angle. Read the procedure from the shop manual. An air pocket can cause a burndown. It will not bleed itself. Have the system pressure tested before you get stranded.
patrioticinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Pol IQR 600; '03 ProX 6; '07 XC5; 01 Indy 5
Previous Sled(s): '98 XC 6; '95 XLT; '76 Doo RV
Favorite Riding Area: Area 51 (Western Maine)
Riding Since: 1978

Follow the hose that comes out of the coolant bottle until you locate where it connects to the cooler bulkhead. When your engine is warmed up, shine a flashlight in that spot (near the clamp) while the engine is running. You might discover a leak there.
Attached Images

caddisfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Appreciate the help guys ... I'll follow both tips.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Found source of AXYS coolant leak

Turns out the slow leak on m 16 Switchback Pro S 800 is coming from the fitting at the front of the engine, down at the bottom of the case below the exhaust Y pipe. The fitting has visible signs of corrosion material around it like it's been a slow leak for quite awhile, probably since it was built. Now I've got to decide whether to fix --- which means tearing the engine bay apart and probably pulling the engine out --- or leave it and top up the coolant once in awhile. It's probably been like this for 4 winters so unlikely to require such a massive job to repair.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

only leaks i see are the lines by the ex. valves. on 2015's the pressed in fittings have had this issue. above 15 the fittings are screwed in. the other place i see small leaks a lot are the small hose coming off the head going to the throttle body's. you will have to remove the driven clutch, mid air box, and maybe the oil tank or at least pull it out of the way with the oil line still attached. i bet it's one of these small hoses?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default leak

Take a good look at your front cooler, might have scratched it or thrown something into it that is causing a leak...
xcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 prox sb
Previous Sled(s): '12 rush '09 D8, 06 600 sb, 07 D7, 03 Pro X 7, and many more
Riding Since: 1988

My father's pro s had a tiny pin hole in the coolant bottle, leaked about 2 oz. In 3 years lol but it was there none the less.
letsirkdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement