BMP Stage 2 kit - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Pro-X Rush
Favorite Riding Area: 8300 RPM
Riding Since: 1998

So for those of you who do not know Northstar Performance became a Bikeman dealer earlier this fall. This may not seem like a big deal but we have been flat out disappointed in BMP products in the past and swore we would never run their stuff in our sleds. Well that has changed....

Shortly after becoming a dealer I was scrolling though one of the Polaris Axys Facebook pages and saw several people talking about the BMP pipe and Stage 3 kits. At first I didn't think much of it. After a couple of days I realized more and more people were commenting about how well the BMP pipe preformed in their sleds, and how nice the quality of the pipe was. This caught my attention. Now we have been loyal SLP customers for a number of years, but recently the quality of one of their products has been a bit disappointing (the Axys 800 pipe). Already having a Jaws pipe on my sled I made the decision to try one of the BMP pipes...along with the rest of their Stage 2 kit. Keep in mind this is still early fall.

A couple weeks later at the Epping Grass Drags I stopped by the BMP booth, not telling them who I was, and began looking at their Axys 800 pipe. I was blown away by how well the pipe was constructed. The welds were clean and consistent. The coating and pipe itself were think and of high quality. Everything about the pipe right down to the machined BMP logo was very impressive.

Fast forward a few months...After a slow start to winter and finally catching up on internet sales and shop work we were able to install the BMP stage 2 kit in my 2015 Pro-X Rush. Again just blown away with the quality of the prodcuts and the fit inside the sled was excellent. I was also sent the most up to date maps for the Stage 2 kit free of charge.

With the kit installed and my sled ready to rip I hit the snow. I spent the first day dialing in the clutching (NSP clutch kit) and familiarizing myself with the Bully Dog GT and all it's capabilities. After that it was 150 miles of real world testing. My first impressions....HOLY S#@! this sled is an animal!!! Corner to corner acceleration was jaw dropping and the power hit instantly, ripping my arms straight back every time I stabbed the throttle. Watching my digital tach and bully dog display I was seeing 8250 RPM's and WOT and a pipe temp of about 1100 degrees...perfect! This kit made an already great sled 100% better. The one thing I was worried about was the sound of the pipe with the full velocity muffler (NH has insanely strict laws for aftermarket exhaust) but to my surprise the sled was relatively quiet and sounded stock up until about 7000 RPM's. I honestly could not have been more pleased with this kit, and this is not a biased opinion, if you remember I was not a fan of BMP until becoming a dealer and riding this sled. The only negative thing I have to say about this kit is it likes fuel. I saw about 9.6 MPG, but that may be due to my riding style and the fact that it was close to 40 degrees outside with wet heavy snow conditions. And for those wondering I ran approximately 1000ft at WOT and saw a top speed of 100 MPH (1.75 track, 1.86 gear ratio, and 40 degrees outside). Biggest thing to note is the sled got to that speed in a hurry!! Which is what I want.

All in all I am very impressed with this kit and I strongly recommend BMP products to anyone looking for a little more reliable power out of their Polaris Axys. Also before I forget I also want to say that BMP has the best customer service in the business. Mark, Mike, Neal, and Joey all helped out big time and got me what I needed fast without any hiccups. I had up to date maps sent to me free of charge and without asking. I was able to contact BMP literally 24/7 and always received friendly and helpful service. These people and the products they produce are why the sport of snowmobiling is so great!

Thank you again to the entire crew at BMP and I hope you all enjoyed my review.
[email protected] likes this.

Last edited by NSPracing137; 02-28-2017 at 09:17 AM.
NSPracing137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS Pr-S SB Ann 800, 2019 Indy 850.
Previous Sled(s): 2003 XCR 1100, 2000 XCR 800 turbo, 2005 Redline Revolt 800.
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, Gaylord
19-20 Mileage: 715 so far
18-19 Mileage: 849
17-18 Mileage: 1280
16-17 Mileage: 1115
Riding Since: 1982

Good report. I too am a BMP dealer and have experienced the same great performance and support. I run 8300 rpms plus. Try higher rpm as their pipe wants it.
[email protected] likes this.
patrioticinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MY 17 XCR 600 MY 17 Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): AXYS, Pro-ride, IQ, EDGE, Gen II, wedge
Riding Since: 1989

I can't get myself to run their product. Have had many issues with them. I'm curious what "issues" you've seen with the SLP pipe, we've got several customers running their pipes with both the SLP silencer and the stock silencer with zero issues and great performance gains.
po1ar1s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Pro S shorty
Previous Sled(s): 2013Pro R 800 '06Fusion600HO, 1998 700 XC, 1989 Safari 377
Favorite Riding Area: Sundridge/Burks Falls
Riding Since: 1985

I'm glad to hear such positive things! I've just had the stage 3 installed on my sled and have been conservative with the throttle because of the new top end. Only a couple hundred miles so far. My accounts so far is that the sled is so much smoother than it was (almost 4 stroke) and mid range is an animal. Tried my first good pull on it last week and got a DET code so I'm still working with it. Had it back in the dealership to put the clutch on this week so I'm excited to see the difference. I've got some drags this weekend, I'll give a report on it after. BTW I have a '17 pro s shorty 800, cobra track with 105 gold diggers up the centre, so I'm thinking traction may be an issue but its just for fun so we'll see. Little snow here in mid Ontario so the next few days will tell.
polhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

What all is included in the Stage 2 kit? I am also running the NSP clutch kit and recently purchased the Bikeman pipe with Bully Dog tuner. Is this basically a stage 2 minus the Bikeman clutching?
SB00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 assault 800

I'm wondering about if the bmp 860 kit is really 190 hp as they claim. That's quite the jump on hp. And their also in the business to sell parts. Any word out the on that kit?
nortrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrioticinnovations View Post
Good report. I too am a BMP dealer and have experienced the same great performance and support. I run 8300 rpms plus. Try higher rpm as their pipe wants it.
It pulls 8350 out of the hole and drops back to 8250...I've seen 8400 a few times but only for a split second. Peak power is 8200-8400 so I'm prettt happy with where it's at. Power is unreal for a bolt on kit.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB00 View Post
What all is included in the Stage 2 kit? I am also running the NSP clutch kit and recently purchased the Bikeman pipe with Bully Dog tuner. Is this basically a stage 2 minus the Bikeman clutching?
BMP Stage 2 kit comes with the pipe, head, bully dog GT with a BMP tune installed, and their clutch kit. I added the y pipe and full velocity silencer to my kit but chose to run our clutching. With everything listed you're looking at around $2,600.00
Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 20 Khaos 850 162", 18 SBA 800, 00 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): 19 RMK, 16 SKS, 12 PRO R, 11 PRO RMK, 09 Assault, 07 RMK 600
Riding Since: 1993

I have the stage 2 kit with y pipe on my sks. For the first 100 miles it ripped, had to add more weight than what was in the clutching chart. Then I lost the ring gear on the primary and ended up getting a whole new primary clutch along with a new torque arm mount, starter bendix and a clutch guard. After I got the sled back from the dealer with the new clutch, I installed a new belt and set the deflection, adjusted the alignment and set the secondary float. I took it out and now it seems really lazy, doesn't rev up as fast and the backshift is not nearly as good as what it was before. Was able to hit 8400-8500 but now it will barely hold 8000 in the powder. I disassembled both clutches and cleaned them out. Everything looked fine. The only thing that I can notice that is out of the ordinary is the weight bushings have a lot of slop in them. I have heard that this is an issue with the goldstar weights. I am considering putting it back to stock and trying it out to see if there isn't something wrong with the kit. Any suggestions on what I could check next?
greasemonkey3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 Pro-S 800, 17 Indy600, 02 Edge 600
Previous Sled(s): 01/02/05 MXZX 800
Favorite Riding Area: UP

How does the BMP pipe compare to the Jaws pipe?
jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement