Hardcore Sledder banner

Who's studding their ProX?

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  repoman 
#1 ·
The 1.75 lug seems to be awefully tall to try and stud. What's everyone running for studs or are you switching tracks?

And please don't make this a "Stud or not to stud" topic, it's just my preference.

#7 ·
I went with 1.6 Cobra on my X with 96 studs, gotta double check the length. I thin it's about a 0.10" clearance.
Works mint; will spin slightly when u punch it on glare ice but will quickly gain traction and away she goes. Braking is absolutely sufficient on same said ice.
As for trails, it provides me a great combination bite and leeway. Meaning it hauls like a rocket every down every straight and out of every corner, even in the shitty rock hard conditions I rode in. Yet in the corners where it was not only hard packed and bumpy, but also icy on spots, and I was able to come into corners hot, ride the break a bit and keep on the gas, allowing the rear end to slightly break the corner, much like a controlled drifr or slide. Never felt out of control, nor did i feel like i was "actually" sliding. This really allowed me to shred thru the twisties. In the steep, hard-90 turns that come fast corner after corner, I could still lock the brakes up and get the back end to come right out and around the corner, and although the backend would feel completely free at this point, the moment my skis cleared the apex of the corner, I could punch it hard and the track would grab and launch me out of the corner in said direction. So essentially, the track/stud combo was allowing the track to still break free when "locking" the brakes up, yet provide enough penetration to confidently launch out of the corner after sliding the rear end around the apex, instead of blowing the corner and sliding straight into the woods. (Again, same hard packed conditions as mentioned above )

This combo also works very well off trail and absolutely dominates the trail when there's fresh loose snow.
That said I haven't tried it with a backcountry x, so I can't honestly compare, and I imagine that backcountry hooks like a menace when shit gets loose.
But with my setup I go anywhere my buddy on his assault goes and then some and we were in heavy, wet conditions 4-5 feet deep with a layer of ice glaze over the top, about an inch or two thick.
It's basically quicksand covered in eggshels, and the Cobra did very well considering.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I am running the backcountry on my 16 sb pro x and love it. First sled ive rode without stud and it actually hooks decently well on groomed trails. Go off trail and its an animal. I am contemplating 96 studs just for the icey corners that my area gets when snow becomes thin.

#10 ·
I run the backcountry (non-studded) on my 04 pro-xr 910, and it works! With a 910 i do spin off the start (no way around that) but on groomed trail or anything semi packed it has phenomenal traction! I could only imagine what it would be like with studs, might be overkill though unless you are on icy ground?

It works well off trail too but my old prox chassis and 121" digs more than floats unfortunately.

#11 ·
#12 ·
It looks like you have about 2500 miles on your Pro-X. Have the studs held up?
Any come out?

#13 ·
Been thinking of this, i may just stud my 1.75!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.