AXYS Reference Links - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (AXYS Platform) This is a brand-specific forumand a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MY18 xxx, MY15 600 SB Adventure 60th
Favorite Riding Area: Keeweenaw MI, Cooke City MT
18-19 Mileage 3036 mi.
16-17 Mileage: 1390
15-16 Mileage: 1460 mi.
Default AXYS Reference Links

This thread has morphed into information and links about many AXYS subjects, for sleds with 600 or 800HO engines.

2018 Specs, Changes, Features

2017 specs, changes and features

Polaris MY15 AXYS Overview .pdf

Well, Polaris has made some improved pictures available of the Engine internals and externals.

But first, time for a short summary of the MY15 600 & 800 HO engine features:

Developed in conjunction with the AXYS platform, the new 800 Cleanfire® H.O. Engine delivers class-leading acceleration. The integrated mounting position optimizes the balance of the chassis. Featuring:

(6) these features are also on the MY15up 600 AXYS engine.

• 3-stage electronically-controlled exhaust valves
  • No scheduled cleaning needed for exhaust valves
  • Dedicated cooling circuit for exhaust valves
  • Electronic oil pump with 20% oil rate enrichment during breakin: first 5 hours for 600, first 18 hours for 800HO. (6)
  • Thermostat with bypass warms up to operating temperature 40% faster and improves durability (6)
  • High-efficiency intake and exhaust (6)
  • VForce 3R Reeds with rubber overmolded reed tip surfaces of cage. Aftermarket (6)
  • Lightweight crankshaft
  • New partially grooved piston
  • New cylinder head (6)
  • New throttle body is lighter weight and reduces throttle effort (6)
  • Lightweight Integrated engine mounts (6)
  • Internal 400 watt stator coils, all DC electric power (6)
  • 600 AXYS Engine Model # S4868-6044-OI6P
  • 800HO Engine Model # S4834-8044-OI8P
(6) these features are also on the MY15up 600 AXYS engine.

---

Towards the middle of this MY15 rush page, is a 360 degree rotatable view of an assembled partially cutaway 800HO engine. Views you would have to remove the motor to see, and then the oil pump and the Smart Actuator would not be in position. You slide the gray circle with arrows back and forth to change the view.

Polaris RUSH Snowmobiles : Models

---
Let's start with a picture of the New grooved piston! New grooved piston was designed specifically for the new 800 HO Cleanfire® Engine to increase durability and engine life.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/sno/...ine-piston.jpg

The 800HO 3-stage Electronically Controlled Exhaust Valves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pol15_800HO-VES-Stage1.jpg
Views:	2115
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1249441
. The Exhaust valves, start out in LOW position (Stage 1). Top & Bottom valves down, fingers closing side boost ports.

Name:	Pol15_800HO-VES-Stage2.jpg
Views:	2046
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1249449
. Move to the MID position (Stage 2) around 6200 rpm. Notice the fingers blocking the side boost ports have moved up, the bottom center valve is retracted and the top center valve is still in the low position on the main exhaust port.

Name:	Pol15_800HO-VES-Stage3.jpg
Views:	2027
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1249457
. Move to the HIGH position (Stage 3) around 7200 rpm. The top center valve now clears the exhaust port at the cylinder wall, and provides a much larger area for exhaust to leave the combustion chamber. Note the small hole in the cylinder wall above the exhaust port. This is for decompression effect to make it easier to turn over the engine when starting.

Look in the parts catalog, ENGINE,EXHAUST VALVE ASM. and you will see that the side fingers and center valve(lower guillotine) have the stem that attaches to the tiebar(cable tee). The upper guillotine, centered in the exhaust port, is spring loaded and floats piggyback on the lower guillotine.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/sno/...age-valves.jpg

The 800HO VForce3R Reeds by Moto-Tassinari. Provide improved performance, throttle response, and reed durability. There is a rubberized coating on the area of the reed cage that the reed tips, touch. Cushions them and improves sealing.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/sno/...orce-reeds.jpg

Electronic Oil Pump. 5 outlets. Used on 600 AXYS & 800HO engine. Dedicated lines with LOW flow, going to the PTO crank, Center crank and Mag crank bearings. Dedicated lines with HIGH flow, going to the PTO and Mag lower crankcase oil injectors below the reed valves. Eliminating throttle cable control of oil pump, reduces throttle effort by 35%, and requires no adjustments.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/sno/...e-oil-pump.jpg

High Efficiency Intake and Exhaust. New porous intake duct material and high-flow exhaust system create a better breathing engine package for more power. New Y pipe, Tuned pipe, and an all-new exhaust silencer provides reduced sound levels while on the trail, for 600 AXYS & 800HO.

Below, is a good view of the 800HO exhaust valves, the control cable to the arm on the Smart Actuator servo motor, and the black hoses that remove hot coolant from the cylinder, below the exhaust valves, above the Y pipe/exhaust ports and sends it down to the water pump, to be blended in with the cooled water coming from the heat exchangers.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/sno/...ne-exhaust.jpg

800HO Lightweight Crankshaft. Lightweight crankshaft weighs 2.5 lbs less, delivering 25% lower inertia and quicker throttle response and spooling. This provides improved acceleration. Designed and engineered specifically for the 800 Cleanfire® H.O. Engine for increased durability, this same lightweight crankshaft is used in Polaris Race sleds, including during the past 2013-14 season, showing it's proven durability.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/sno/...crankshaft.jpg

---

And your reward for reading this post all the way thru, is a nice MY15 or MY16 AXYS owners manual:

Jan. 23, 2015 rev. 2 updated MY15 AXYS Owners Manual current as of Oct. 11, 2015

Sept. 17, 2015 rev. 2, MY16 AXYS Rush/Switchback Owners Manual current as of Dec. 27, 2015

Specifications, including altitude clutching, begin on page 139.

--- Some information about the Automated Protection, Shutdown and DC Electrical Power Management features, Circuits, Relays of the AXYS sleds. Go thru this post, before you're surprised, upset or think something is wrong with your sled. The automated and manual break-in procedures are also included. Information not yet completely in the Owners Manual:

Owners Manual Addon

--- Polaris just made a new Self Help Center available for the snowmobile product line:

Polaris Help Center Snowmobiles

--- Parts numbers, Assembly diagrams and where used information is available:

Polaris Online Parts Catalog SNO 2016

--- Some MY15 AXYS 800HO sleds have a problem with Low RPM from the motor, or RPM Drop, usually when running full throttle, sometimes only after running for an hour or more. Sometime called "fade". Polaris has issued a Team Tips S-15-05-01 on May 1, 2015. There is now better understanding of the WOT Engine Protection Behavior, responding as a result of one or more faults. Several cases have been "cured".

WOT Engine Protection Behavior

--- There is one Safety Bulletin, pertaining to all MY15 AXYS sleds and 550 Indy Adventure/Voyageur 155, that was released Dec. 9, 2015. It has to do with reinforcing steering components. If you already had Service Bulletin S-15-02 done, you're okay. Else, contact your dealer, and get it done.

Safety Bulletin / Recall S-15-02A

--- There is one Service Bulletin, pertaining to all MY15 AXYS sleds, that was released March 19, 2015. Contact your dealer, and get it done. There is also a Team Tip issued for IDD gas gauge accuracy improvements.

Service Bulletin S-15-01 & Team Tip S-15-03-01

--- Some 800HO sleds have had problems with reduced engine performance, hesitation or hiccups, or E-VES and PWM converter diagnostic codes being thrown. In some cases this may be easily corrected, without parts or special tools.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...l#post16697842

--- Some MY16 800HO sleds have problems with low idle speeds, or inconsistent cold or warm starting. A new reflash for them and the reflash's cold engine protection mode is described here:

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...l#post16697898

--- Some MY15 sleds have engines that suddenly won't run or start. No fuel, no ignition, no ECU. This may be caused by a short wiring harness going to the ECU. Pin 26 in the 26pin connector, carries orange stator power to the ECU, and may be pulled out of the connector. The problem & solution is covered in Team Tip S-14-12-02.

Team Tip S-14-02-02 ECU Harness Repair

--- This post has some interesting machine & track specs & information, and a list of Machine Preparations activities.

Machine & track specs, Machine Prep list

--- Here is a post with a comparison of Pro-S to Pro-X suspension setup, AXYS 600 to 800HO clutching setup, MY15-17 Factory Gearing & alternate choices comparison.

It now has a full AXYS Gear chart .pdf file with 5 columns of RPM/MPH and a column for calculated chain slack for that sprocket/chain combination, for those who do not want a dogleg in the chain by the tension adjuster.

The MPH numbers are accurate for the 2.86" pitch track. The Post explains the Digital Wrench procedure required to get accurate Speedometer readings.

Suspension setup, Clutching setup, Gearing info

--- The most current info available on the automated break-in routine of the 600 and 800HO.

Automatic Engine Break-in Routine

--- A good summary of the AXYS accessories, Belts & Service Manuals.

Accessory Listings, Links & Video

. The 12 volt DC cig. outlet, also the RCA faceshield kit are explained in this link:
RCA and 12 volt DC outlet parts & connection

--- Thorough explanation of the IDD gauge features

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...l#post11523874

Post on many new IDD features added thru Aug. 2015 programming update

--- What is involved in refreshing base maps, programming & trails on the IDD gauge

IDD gauge, maps, programming, trail versions

--- A review of the AXYS cooling system for Pro-XC equipped sleds

AXYS Rush/Switchback 137 cooling system brief

'07 FST IQ Cruiser Fox Floats, SLP Powder Pro skis w/10" carbide, RaceCraft intercooler, PS stage 3 ECU, Ella SS silencer, 136 x 1.25" Ripsaw full clip, Avid Extrovert Drivers

'07 600 IQ Cleanfire Switchback, SLP Power Pro skis, 144 x 1.22" Ice Attak XT full clip.

Last edited by ExcursionPSD; 11-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.
ExcursionPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA Ezra

Current Sled(s): 14m8 15 gade6
Favorite Riding Area: Alpine
18-19 Mileage 700
15-16 Mileage: 600
Riding Since: 72

why is the piston only grooved on 1 side? I know why they grooved them but kinda strange only 1 side. must be back side of injectors.
the grooved aftermarkets for the e tec work great
ez ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Meat Man

Current Sled(s): I'm going to war with Canada on a 850 Doo
Previous Sled(s): Black MY15 ProS 800 SB ANV
Favorite Riding Area: Out my front door.
Riding Since: 1776

Excellent job ExcursionPSD I just asked the mods to pin this in the Axys forums.

Sent from my HP Media Center Via RoadRunner...so bite me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 800 Assault
Previous Sled(s): 2015 Axys Rush 800,2011 ProR Rush 800
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, U.P north of 28
18-19 Mileage 1981
17-18 Mileage: 544
16-17 Mileage: 1310
15-16 Mileage: 1278
Riding Since: 1968

Thank you for the manual. What I would really like is a IDD Owner’s Manual and a part number for the Polaris service manual. Or am I asking for to much.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 600 Switcback Adventure
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Polaris'
Favorite Riding Area: Wi northwoods
18-19 Mileage waiting
Riding Since: 1979

Thanks for the link to the owners manual!
Very informative.
As per page #73 the sled comes with a factory installed battery if it has electric start and/ or IDD. Interesting.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 3036 mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ProR8 View Post
Thank you for the manual. What I would really like is a IDD Owner’s Manual and a part number for the Polaris service manual. Or am I asking for to much.
The Service Manual is still in a rough draft form. It will not be printed for a while. The IDD Owner's manual may be doable.

'07 FST IQ Cruiser Fox Floats, SLP Powder Pro skis w/10" carbide, RaceCraft intercooler, PS stage 3 ECU, Ella SS silencer, 136 x 1.25" Ripsaw full clip, Avid Extrovert Drivers

'07 600 IQ Cleanfire Switchback, SLP Power Pro skis, 144 x 1.22" Ice Attak XT full clip.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 3036 mi.
Default Machine & Track Specs, Machine Prep List

Here are some interesting/significant specs and information from the MY15 AXYS Owner's Manual.

== SPECS & INFO

Brake Fluid DOT 4
Drive Belts PBO 3211165 = 600,
. High Modulus PBO 3211177 = 800HO
Spark Plugs BPR9ES 600&800
Chaincase Oil 8-10 oz. (fill to spill)
Coolant Capacity 4 quarts
Injector oil tank 3.8 quarts
Fuel tank 12 gal.
Alternator Output 400 Watt (ALL DC power)
4013045 battery $140US Yuasa YTX20CH AGM type, 18 amp hour, 270 Cold Cranking Amps Thermostat Opening 120F/49C
Idle warmed up 1700 rpm +-200
Full operating RPM
.800HO __ 8250 +0 / -200
.600AXYS _8250 +-200
Tunnel Protection Max. Stud size 1.325"

IDD Gauge. Do not allow alcohol or gasoline to get on the gauge,
especially the screen. OM p. 50

Battery is on sleds equipped with IDD gauge & Manual start. When key is in RUN position, IDD gauge will operate. It also keeps
IDD gauge operating when PERC is being used and engine reverses.
You stop the engine with the kill switch and keep
the IDD operating. OM p. 73

To clear a flooded engine, hit the kill switch and crank
several times with START key or Recoil Rope. OM p. 74

The owners manual is missing information about what is involved in break-in. This link is pretty accurate:

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...l#post12644850
1 pint of injector oil per 5 gallons of fuel in the tank for first tank. OM p. 75-76

Break-in drive belt for first 30 miles OM p. 76

VES Cleaning at 2,000mi/3,200k for 600. NOT SCHEDULED for 800 HO OM p. 89

Put light coating of low-temp. synthetic grease on threads of
rear shock body for preload adjuster.

== NEW MACHINE PREP ===========================================>
This is a starting point to help get the todo lists going.

* Write down Ignition Key identification number.
.. This is necessary to have spares/replacements made.

* Check the torque of significant bolts/nuts with a torque wrench, may prevent loosening or failure of the assembly in the future.

* Any bolts that thread into aluminum, should be considered for treatment with never-sieze or the mild blue loctite, to prevent electrolytic corrosion, and stripping of the threads when removed.

* Take Underhood pictures from several angles, and save them, for use in showing hose & wiring routing, and where cable ties are used to secure them. I like to use white electrical tape to mark where a cable or a hose should be secured with a cable tie, and/or what it should be secured to.

* Carefully look for sharp metal or plastic edges that can cause problems for your cold hands, or hoses and wiring that might rub against them. I use emery cloth or sandpaper or a 3M abrasive block or a file, to smooth them, and have a shop vac running with the hose end close to where I am working to inhale the material being removed, and any abrasives as well.

* Find out where there are any fuses/fusible links or circuit breakers, either in a panel or inline in the wiring harness.

* Pull off the seat and any other coverings to check for pinched or rubbing wiring or hoses.

* If some fasteners are likely to be reused a lot, like Tuflok screws, get some spares and keep them on the sled.

* Print out error codes and their descriptions, and have that in a freezer bag taped on the sled somewhere, along with a copy of your proof of warranty. If you have some unusual accessories, like a different windshield, have those part numbers in that bag, too, so you can call a dealer and tell him exactly what you are looking for.

Mark wrench sizes on fasteners that are often adjusted,
Example: Secondary Clutch Tension adjuster.
. On secondary clutch mark "11mm JAM, 3mm ALLEN"

Mark skis, 10" forward & back of ski bolt,
. This makes toe-out (1/8-1/4") measurement easier & consistent.

What the indicators mean on the instrument panel, and how to display basics such as Speedometer, Tachometer, Odometer, Trip Odometers, Engine Coolant Temperature, diagnostic mode. If your riding buddies are tricky, you should know how to change from Metric to Standard units of measure. The IDD gauge will have its own operator manual.

PRACTICE procedures that you may need to perform on little notice, when not at your shop, such as these from the Owners Manual... verify the settings/adjustments

. Adjust Headlight aim. OM p. 28
. Attach/Remove Acessories. Saddlebags OM p.30
. How to set computer for Fuel being used. 2 choices:
.. "91-non" For 91 octane NON-ethanol OM p. 31
.. "Eth" For everything else. Must be 87 octane or higher OM p79
. How to lock/unlock the Security immobility OM p. 43
. Learn how to setup & adjust suspension & take a look at all the parts involved. OM p. 51-59
. Learn how to adjust handlebar OM p. 60-63
. How to check/adjust throttle lever freeplay OM p. 82-83
. How to remove/install side panels and hood OM p. 94-95
. How to access Tool Box OM p. 96
. How to access Spare Drive Belt OM p.96-97
. Change Chaincase Oil. NO drain plug OM p. 98-101
. Check the air intake filters OM p. 102
. How to Check Coolant Level, how to bleed air. OM p. 105-107
. Check & Adjust Drive Chain Tension OM p. 109
. Check & Adjust Belt Tension OM p. 114-117
. Remove & Install Drive Belt OM p. 118
. How to measure & adjust Track Tension OM p. 119-122
. Remove & reinstall Battery OM p. 130-131

Have the correct spare belt on the machine. (Unless you have a Polaris Race sled, you don't have a belt that will work correctly).
600 AXYS 3211165, 800HO 3211177.

Have at least 2 pair of BPR9ES spark plugs. You are running a lot of oil at break-in, if you foul a plug, you should have the correct spares.

---

Track Specs. Several Production AXYS sleds have been inspected to verify 2 ply construction.

HSR, thanks for the early and accurate word about this.

All the MY15 AXYS tracks are made by Camoplast, Full-Clipped, 2.86" drive pitch, 2 ply.
Some of these 2 ply tracks are only available thru Polaris at this time.

The Pro-S use a Ripsaw II track.

37 lb. 120 x 1.25 _5414653 9209H = Rush PRO-S
42 lb. 137 x 1.25 _5414654 9223H = Switchback PRO-S

. Tapered outside lug edges for less side bite when cornering
. Sharp angled lugs for excellent bite on hard-pack snow
. Cupped center and full outer lugs for traction on loose, less compacted snow
. Lug design generates less noise for improved rider comfort on hard-packed groomed trails

---
The Pro-X use a Back Country X track.

40 lb. 120 x 1.75 _5414894_ = Rush PRO-X
44 lb. 137 x 1.75 _5414895_ = Switchback PRO-X

. Arched lug design with staggered snocross-inspired pattern for excellent soft snow traction
. New for 2015, 2,86” drive pitch models will feature tapered lug on outside edges for improved durability

----

The 600 Switchback Adventure uses a Cobra track

39 lb. 137 x 1.352 _5413661 = 600 Switchback Adventure

. Cupped lugs for superior acceleration and braking in loose soft snow conditions
. Flexible lug design for superior off-trail performance
. Softer, thinner lugs generates less noise for improved rider comfort

Last edited by ExcursionPSD; 11-19-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 SB 800
Previous Sled(s): 20+ Polaris, ...but have owned some of each
Favorite Riding Area: QUEBEC

WOW!! Way to go Polaris.

MAINTENANCE
Tools
An L-wrench and a tool kit (containing a spare belt, spark plug wrench
and provisions for two spare spark plugs) are provided with the
snowmobile. Open the left side panel to access the tools.
rob in ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2018 Switchback Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
18-19 Mileage 457
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
15-16 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob in ottawa View Post
WOW!! Way to go Polaris.

MAINTENANCE
Tools
An L-wrench and a tool kit (containing a spare belt, spark plug wrench
and provisions for two spare spark plugs) are provided with the
snowmobile. Open the left side panel to access the tools.
I think they forgot a word ... Holder

A spare belt holder
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Rush Pro-S 800 HO
Previous Sled(s): Fusion 600HO, Arctic cats

Same size battery on the pull start sleds?
2TurnsAndGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement