whats evryone running for engine oil - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

SR Viper This is the section for Tech talk and discussion for the New SR Viper. This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 Apex
Favorite Riding Area: Iron Horse, Manitowash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR WEEZ View Post
I've always used the Yamaha brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun11cat View Post
X2 on the Yamaha brand.
Quote:
What is the reason why anyone would use anything but Yama-lube?
Answer? Because I've been to the plant where they bottle "Genuine" Yamalube. And on the same bottling conveyor line, out of the same tank the same oil was put in "Genuine" Mercury Outboard Oil; "Genuine" Honda Motor Oil; "Genuine" Yamalube. And a few others. When I asked what gives (you wouldn't believe it ) the guy at the shipping dock said

Quote:
"Hey; Motor oils motor oil."
You guys are all getting hosed.
And by the way company I work for private labels our "Genuine" oil from the same place
dskofich likes this.
Szledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 LTD IACT
Previous Sled(s): 14 XF 7000 10 F8 SP,05 F6,02 ZL 600SS, 99 ZL 600, 96 Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Central MN
19-20 Mileage: 643
18-19 Mileage: 1170
17-18 Mileage: 1260
16-17 Mileage: 960
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szledhead View Post
Answer? Because I've been to the plant where they bottle "Genuine" Yamalube. And on the same bottling conveyor line, out of the same tank the same oil was put in "Genuine" Mercury Outboard Oil; "Genuine" Honda Motor Oil; "Genuine" Yamalube. And a few others. When I asked what gives (you wouldn't believe it ) the guy at the shipping dock said

And by the way company I work for private labels our "Genuine" oil from the same place

And the "Genuine" oils all cost close to the same price some of them will add different additives good or bad.

My thing is what's the big savings $20/$30 for one oil change per season. Why not just use the oil/filter that the manufacture recommends.

Its always interesting to see how many back yard mechanics think they know more then engineers, there job is to test, test, test and get the most they can design out of a product and then back it off for longevity.

Fun11cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18' Sidewinder LTX LE
Previous Sled(s): 15 Yami's 3 Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: Northern ON & Da UP Eh
19-20 Mileage: 1021
18-19 Mileage: 4095 km's
17-18 Mileage: 4430 km's
16-17 Mileage: 3786 km's
Riding Since: Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szledhead View Post

Getting hosed how? We ride 4 strokes that require 1 oil change a year. For piece of mind I'll to stick to what the manufacture suggests and take the minimal $$$ hit.
snappydave and Fun11cat like this.
MR WEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun11cat View Post
And the "Genuine" oils all cost close to the same price some of them will add different additives good or bad.

My thing is what's the big savings $20/$30 for one oil change per season. Why not just use the oil/filter that the manufacture recommends.

Its always interesting to see how many back yard mechanics think they know more then engineers, there job is to test, test, test and get the most they can design out of a product and then back it off for longevity.
:
I'm not a backyard mechanic; I saw the 250 gallon tote that the entire line was drawing from (oil was from Taiwan) and they aren't putting any additives, in they are all filling everyone's bottles from one source. If anyone knows more than the engineers (or trying to) it's the purchasing people at that company buying the stuff for 25 cents a quart from the Chinese and selling it for $26 bucks a gallon ( or whatever the price is)

Quote:
Getting hosed how? We ride 4 strokes that require 1 oil change a year. For piece of mind I'll to stick to what the manufacture suggests and take the minimal $$$
Just telling you where it's coming from. Isn't that they aren't anything special more than any Farm & Barn oil.

Getting hosed? You wanna take a guess how much they are paying the Chinese for it ?

Just use Mobil 1

Rumor use to be Yamaha was in contract with Citgo. Citgo makes Mystic, and all the Farm & Barn oils till the asians started shipping it in

Last edited by Szledhead; 03-16-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
PX3
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 polaris 800 pros
Previous Sled(s): lots of them
Favorite Riding Area: Any where snow takes me.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 4000
17-18 Mileage: 3000
16-17 Mileage: 3300
Riding Since: 1977

this is why I would stick with Yamalube.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/micro/ya...ditions_en.pdf

How can you beat this and why would you cheap out on your oil to save a buck or too. Bet lots don't know what gold you got here. 20 year 160 km warranty. I'd be 80.
PX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckp888 View Post
Thats great oil as long is it is for snowmobiles and not cars..
Really, please enlighten us, why would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckp888 View Post
Hate to say it but two very different types of oil.
And why is this bad?
Old 11-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
this is why I would stick with Yamalube.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/micro/ya...ditions_en.pdf

How can you beat this and why would you cheap out on your oil to save a buck or too. Bet lots don't know what gold you got here. 20 year 160 km warranty. I'd be 80.
Please show me a engine where the oil chemically failed and blew an engine up. You can take that paper and wipe somebodys ass with it because it means nothing. By law if the oil (just like Mobil one) meats the criteria of the engine, (which Mobil 1 does) then they can't deny you anything
Old 01-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

100% pure snake oil
or yamalube if out of snake oil...
All oils are formulated different (additive package) im no oil engineer so just get the yamalube
Slowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement