Trailer has studded snow tires on one axle - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Snowmobile Trailers & Haulers Section for discussions about trailers & other ways of hauling snowmobiles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '07 Yamaha Attak
Default Trailer has studded snow tires on one axle

I've had this trailer about a year, and it's been great to tow. Very easy. But I have a couple of tires not holding air, so before I bring it to a tire dealer to determine if it's just the bead, or I need new tires, I want to decide how I'll deal with this.

It's an 18'+5'V inline enclosed trailer, 3 place. Two axles with electric brakes (of course). The previous owner put studded winter snow tires on the front axle. He says he does this with all his trailers as it helps with any swaying on slippery roads when slowing. I never questioned it but am now as I think about replacing them. The previous owner owns a large well known east coast trucking company, so I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.

But I'm curious about this:

1. Do the studded tires really help at all on a trailer?
2. Technically they aren't legal in the summer here, so swapping them out would be a pain.
3. They aren't actual trailer tires, so they are not load rated C like the rear axle radial trailer tires.

What's the thinking in regards to this? I read a bunch of threads, but couldn't come to a decision on what I should do.

They may tell me the tires just needed to be reseated/sealed, but if they need replacement, I was just going to have them replace them all.

Is having these studded tires on the front axle bad, or just adding no benefit but not really hurting anything, or is it actually good?

This is the trailer:

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by steveg_nh; 12-13-2016 at 11:16 PM.
steveg_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 Dragon SP 800
Favorite Riding Area: Snow
16-17 Mileage: 2000
15-16 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 2014

Get rid of the two winter tires!!! Trailers which see a lot of miles need good radial trailer tires. Between the side loads of turning with a trailer, and the poor suspension, trailers need a tire with a strong side wall, not a car tire.

I don't know what your other two tires look like, but personally if they are leaking, I'd put 4 new marathon radials on it.

Last edited by Manitoba Dragon; 12-13-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Manitoba Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 XF 6000, 18 ZR 8000, z120, Indy Lite
Previous Sled(s): F5,Sabercat 500, F7, Xfire 800 Ltd, XF 7000
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is!
18-19 Mileage 2800
17-18 Mileage: 3500
16-17 Mileage: 3000
15-16 Mileage: 200 feet
Riding Since: 1978

I have towed a lot of trailers through the winter much heavier than a sled trailer and NEVER needed studded snows on them! Also there is nothing worse than changing a tire on the side of the highway in a snowstorm all the while having your back to the idiots sliding around at 70. if that was my trailer I'd throw down for a set of new radial trailer tires rated for the trailer weight.

Last edited by shimxtr1; 12-14-2016 at 09:05 AM.
shimxtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

I actually do think it would be nice to have those studs but yet I would still want a trailer load rated tire.
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I see no need for the studded tires. Do I think there a danger, no. Do I think they help, no. Based on the light weight of the trailer, I don't see it really being an issue that they aren't trailer tires. That being said I am always a firm believer is using trailer tires on trailers. If it were my trailer, I would replace them with good trailer tires. Nothing worse than a trailer blow out, especially when its cold, and snowy. This is the place I use. Prices hard to beat, and never had one issue with them. Trailer Tires and Wheels - Steel & Aluminum Trailer Wheels, Bias & Radial Trailer Tires
tylera189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR 800 RR and a 18 mtn cat on the way
Previous Sled(s): 13m8 13&12 XF HC, 4 X-fires, F7, 4 poos
Favorite Riding Area: On top of snow
Riding Since: 1988

If that trailer swings on you on ice and you have studded tires you could grab the brake controller and straighten it back out
sled208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Cat T660-Tutbo 4-Stroke
Previous Sled(s): '95 Indy 500, M-10 suspension
Favorite Riding Area: Togwotee,WY
Riding Since: 1972

I have had tires on the typical 2-place tilt-back trailer leak air through the side walls, with no visible cracking or damage on the tire.
Seems like those tires only last "just so many years" and they need to be replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minnesota Flats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 Dragon SP 800
Favorite Riding Area: Snow
16-17 Mileage: 2000
15-16 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled208 View Post
If that trailer swings on you on ice and you have studded tires you could grab the brake controller and straighten it back out
If this ^^^^^ actually happened you would blow the side walls out on the studded tires.
Car tires can't take side loads like that.

Also to the comment of leaking air on older tires, this is crap. If you had a quality tire and rim, they wouldn't leak. We had a set of Marathon radials on our camper that were 12 years old, never a problem till the tread wore down.

You should never even need studs on a car. Drive smart, think everyone else doesn't know what your doing, and leave extra space. Drive to conditions, don't pretend you can still go fast because of tires.

Last edited by Manitoba Dragon; 12-14-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Manitoba Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I was thinking/leaning towards doing. The tire that is leaking worst right now is not the studded snow tire, but no matter. I'll have them check all 4, and replace the two snow tires with trailer rated tires. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Done. Just got local tire dealer to get 4 Towmax STR II trailer tires ready for tomorrow morning on a smoking deal. I did some research on the Marathons, and recent feedback isn't all that great when on a dual axle setup with sidewall flexing. The Power King TowMax where highly recommended on a few commercial sites, trailer forums, and my friend who is a CDL driver, where all of their smaller trailers use them. I don't want to mess around, especially since the tires on there are not right. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement