Turbo Dynamics Knock light in Action for (2017-2018 Sidewinder ZR9000 Thundercat) - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Turbo 4 Stroke This is the section for all the Turbo 4 Stroke talk This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Sponsored by: Evolution Powersports

Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Twinrats496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,108
Current Sled(s): 12 XF 1100 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 04 ZR900, 98 ZRT w/1000D&D, 93 T-Cat, 86 600 Indy w/707 SLP,
Location: Ohio
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
16-17 Mileage: 1900
Age: 62
Riding Since: 1964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by **SJ** View Post
Ive been eyeballing other exhausts....but recent tests with that noise meter showed me the super quiet is really super quiet....I was totally impressed...my question is ...for those who would run pt or even max 17+ would it flow enough...on the old sled I always thought 3"...but the quietness really impressed me in that test....how will it perform and wheres the cross over where yes here you need more?
To start off I am a TD guy, but unless TD has changed the 998 Super Quiet muffler it's not super quiet.

I have a TD 2.5" Super Quiet on my 1100 and it's A Lot quieter than the Super Quiet 998 muffler TD was selling last winter.

Friend of mine has a Thundercat with that muffler on it and was hassled by the NY snowmobile cops last year.
I was infront of him during that stop and they didn't even give me a look.

He also said he wished his exhaust was as quiet as mine.

He sold his "Super Quiet" and sent his stock muffler in for the TD Mod. He's gonna be Really pissed if it's still louder than my 1100!
rockerdan likes this.
Twinrats496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
**SJ**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,439
Location: s.e.mich
Default

You would have to hear the new sq.... it's truly super quiet for a performance exhaust...i was surprised and impressed...
**SJ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser
 
Turbo Dynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinrats496 View Post
To start off I am a TD guy, but unless TD has changed the 998 Super Quiet muffler it's not super quiet.

I have a TD 2.5" Super Quiet on my 1100 and it's A Lot quieter than the Super Quiet 998 muffler TD was selling last winter.

Friend of mine has a Thundercat with that muffler on it and was hassled by the NY snowmobile cops last year.
I was infront of him during that stop and they didn't even give me a look.

He also said he wished his exhaust was as quiet as mine.

He sold his "Super Quiet" and sent his stock muffler in for the TD Mod. He's gonna be Really pissed if it's still louder than my 1100!
Thanks for the feedback.
The super quiet name I came up with in 2012 was in relation to other offerings at the time. I was competing against barkers the turboforce on the z1 and other fairly loud mufflers.
Compared to them it was super quiet.

The super quiet since 2012 is still the quietest straight through very high performance muffler. The only way to get quieter is by adding baffles which kills HP.

We can't get around the laws of physics.

As for the TD stock modified that one is truly quiet no drone with a superb oem style sound... He will love it... But it gets half the huge gains of a super quiet

For the Quebec Ontario new York Maine Vermont regions it is the better choice those being sensitive areas.

We have both the 1100 stock modified exhaust and the 998 stock modified in stock, we have about 4 of each ready to swap. No waiting.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-800-549-0246

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009-2015 1100 turbo 4 stage ECU REFLASH, 200-273HP on pump gas up to 320HP on race fuel. Fastest stock turbo E.T. on grass 4.46 at Haydays 2013 (Priceless sled)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Turbo Dynamics; 10-05-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Turbo Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
TurboJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,571
Current Sled(s): 2019 XRS 900 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 2018 Ski-Doo BCX 850
Location: Gta
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Ontario
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 9,253 km
17-18 Mileage: 7,900
16-17 Mileage: 7,130 km
Riding Since: 1984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dynamics View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The super quiet name I came up with in 2012 was in relation to other offerings at the time. I was competing against barkers the turboforce on the z1 and other fairly loud mufflers. Compared to them it was super quiet.

The super quiet since 2012 is still the quietest straight through very high performance muffler. The only way to get quieter is by adding baffles which kills HP.

We can't get around the laws of physics.

As for the TD stock modified that one is truly quiet no drone with a superb oem style sound... He will love it... But it gets half the huge gains of a super quiet

For the Quebec Ontario new York Maine Vermont regions it is the better choice those being sensitive areas.

We have both the 1100 stock modified exhaust and the 998 stock modified in stock, we have about 4 of each ready to swap. No waiting.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Your super quiet with the drone buster is the absolute perfect all day trail muffler for trouble free operation great power and good sound. Even in Quebec where they are SUPER sticky about sound I was never questioned running the 2.5" TD super quiet with a drone buster in it. I don't have a dyno to prove it but I saw zero difference in performance, RPM, boost or knock resistance with the buster installed. To me it is the best of all worlds.

Turbo Dynamics likes this.
TurboJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
TommCat Performance
 
Tommcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 32,532
Current Sled(s): too many
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8, 06 F7, 03 ZR9, 02 ZL6, 98 ZR6, 86 El Tigre 6000
Location: Western Mass
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
Riding Since: 1977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJamie View Post
Your super quiet with the drone buster is the absolute perfect all day trail muffler for trouble free operation great power and good sound. Even in Quebec where they are SUPER sticky about sound I was never questioned running the 2.5" TD super quiet with a drone buster in it. I don't have a dyno to prove it but I saw zero difference in performance, RPM, boost or knock resistance with the buster installed. To me it is the best of all worlds.

Does qc go by sound level or visual inspection?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Home of the only clutch kits that can save you from honey badgers
Tommcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser
 
Turbo Dynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJamie View Post
Your super quiet with the drone buster is the absolute perfect all day trail muffler for trouble free operation great power and good sound. Even in Quebec where they are SUPER sticky about sound I was never questioned running the 2.5" TD super quiet with a drone buster in it. I don't have a dyno to prove it but I saw zero difference in performance, RPM, boost or knock resistance with the buster installed. To me it is the best of all worlds.

Very odd you wouldn't lose power with the drone buster. Interesting. Normally any restrictions especially one that cuts noise loses hp. I tested a ton of insert designs back in 2013 - 2014.
I had designed a cone shaped perforated cone that dropped 1.5db on most frequency range and that lose 1hp. I never got around to manufacturing it.

The drone buster you are talking about is sandale?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-800-549-0246

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009-2015 1100 turbo 4 stage ECU REFLASH, 200-273HP on pump gas up to 320HP on race fuel. Fastest stock turbo E.T. on grass 4.46 at Haydays 2013 (Priceless sled)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser
 
Turbo Dynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by **SJ** View Post
Ive been eyeballing other exhausts....but recent tests with that noise meter showed me the super quiet is really super quiet....I was totally impressed...my question is ...for those who would run pt or even max 17+ would it flow enough...on the old sled I always thought 3"...but the quietness really impressed me in that test....how will it perform and wheres the cross over where yes here you need more?
Yes that dB test from totally yamaha. Very nice test. But under load is where you see a stock mod. Is. Much quieter than sq.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-800-549-0246

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009-2015 1100 turbo 4 stage ECU REFLASH, 200-273HP on pump gas up to 320HP on race fuel. Fastest stock turbo E.T. on grass 4.46 at Haydays 2013 (Priceless sled)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
TurboJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,571
Current Sled(s): 2019 XRS 900 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 2018 Ski-Doo BCX 850
Location: Gta
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Ontario
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 9,253 km
17-18 Mileage: 7,900
16-17 Mileage: 7,130 km
Riding Since: 1984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dynamics View Post
Very odd you wouldn't lose power with the drone buster. Interesting. Normally any restrictions especially one that cuts noise loses hp. I tested a ton of insert designs back in 2013 - 2014.
I had designed a cone shaped perforated cone that dropped 1.5db on most frequency range and that lose 1hp. I never got around to manufacturing it.

The drone buster you are talking about is sandale?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Yes and I made one of my own as well. It didn't take much to kill a ton of noise! Of course it still would fail the Quebec visual but it was quite enough to never be asked. I rode a good 80% of my 15-16 season in Qc.
Turbo Dynamics likes this.
TurboJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser
 
Turbo Dynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJamie View Post
Yes and I made one of my own as well. It didn't take much to kill a ton of noise! Of course it still would fail the Quebec visual but it was quite enough to never be asked. I rode a good 80% of my 15-16 season in Qc.
Do you sell those inserts ?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-800-549-0246

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009-2015 1100 turbo 4 stage ECU REFLASH, 200-273HP on pump gas up to 320HP on race fuel. Fastest stock turbo E.T. on grass 4.46 at Haydays 2013 (Priceless sled)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 688
Current Sled(s): Z1 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): XF1100T / 800RS / Mach Z 1000
Location: Qc,Canada
Age: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommcat View Post
Does qc go by sound level or visual inspection?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Visual inspection and as soon they see aftermarket exhaust = ticket or towing.
__________________
Z1 Turbo 2010 162mph
XF 1100T 2012 141mph/1inch track / SOLD
Al_Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.