Turbo Dynamics Knock light in Action for (2017-2018 Sidewinder ZR9000 Thundercat) - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Turbo 4 Stroke This is the section for all the Turbo 4 Stroke talk This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Sponsored by: Evolution Powersports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 XF 1100 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 04 ZR900, 98 ZRT w/1000D&D, 93 T-Cat, 86 600 Indy w/707 SLP,
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
16-17 Mileage: 1900
Riding Since: 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by **SJ** View Post
Ive been eyeballing other exhausts....but recent tests with that noise meter showed me the super quiet is really super quiet....I was totally impressed...my question is ...for those who would run pt or even max 17+ would it flow enough...on the old sled I always thought 3"...but the quietness really impressed me in that test....how will it perform and wheres the cross over where yes here you need more?
To start off I am a TD guy, but unless TD has changed the 998 Super Quiet muffler it's not super quiet.

I have a TD 2.5" Super Quiet on my 1100 and it's A Lot quieter than the Super Quiet 998 muffler TD was selling last winter.

Friend of mine has a Thundercat with that muffler on it and was hassled by the NY snowmobile cops last year.
I was infront of him during that stop and they didn't even give me a look.

He also said he wished his exhaust was as quiet as mine.

He sold his "Super Quiet" and sent his stock muffler in for the TD Mod. He's gonna be Really pissed if it's still louder than my 1100!
rockerdan likes this.
Twinrats496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

You would have to hear the new sq.... it's truly super quiet for a performance exhaust...i was surprised and impressed...
**SJ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinrats496 View Post
To start off I am a TD guy, but unless TD has changed the 998 Super Quiet muffler it's not super quiet.

I have a TD 2.5" Super Quiet on my 1100 and it's A Lot quieter than the Super Quiet 998 muffler TD was selling last winter.

Friend of mine has a Thundercat with that muffler on it and was hassled by the NY snowmobile cops last year.
I was infront of him during that stop and they didn't even give me a look.

He also said he wished his exhaust was as quiet as mine.

He sold his "Super Quiet" and sent his stock muffler in for the TD Mod. He's gonna be Really pissed if it's still louder than my 1100!
Thanks for the feedback.
The super quiet name I came up with in 2012 was in relation to other offerings at the time. I was competing against barkers the turboforce on the z1 and other fairly loud mufflers.
Compared to them it was super quiet.

The super quiet since 2012 is still the quietest straight through very high performance muffler. The only way to get quieter is by adding baffles which kills HP.

We can't get around the laws of physics.

As for the TD stock modified that one is truly quiet no drone with a superb oem style sound... He will love it... But it gets half the huge gains of a super quiet

For the Quebec Ontario new York Maine Vermont regions it is the better choice those being sensitive areas.

We have both the 1100 stock modified exhaust and the 998 stock modified in stock, we have about 4 of each ready to swap. No waiting.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-800-549-0246

2009-2015 1100 turbo 4 stage ECU REFLASH, 200-273HP on pump gas up to 320HP on race fuel. Fastest stock turbo E.T. on grass 4.46 at Haydays 2013 (Priceless sled)

Last edited by Turbo Dynamics; 10-05-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Turbo Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 XRS 900 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 2018 Ski-Doo BCX 850
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Ontario
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 9,253 km
17-18 Mileage: 7,900
16-17 Mileage: 7,130 km
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dynamics View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The super quiet name I came up with in 2012 was in relation to other offerings at the time. I was competing against barkers the turboforce on the z1 and other fairly loud mufflers. Compared to them it was super quiet.

The super quiet since 2012 is still the quietest straight through very high performance muffler. The only way to get quieter is by adding baffles which kills HP.

We can't get around the laws of physics.

As for the TD stock modified that one is truly quiet no drone with a superb oem style sound... He will love it... But it gets half the huge gains of a super quiet

For the Quebec Ontario new York Maine Vermont regions it is the better choice those being sensitive areas.

We have both the 1100 stock modified exhaust and the 998 stock modified in stock, we have about 4 of each ready to swap. No waiting.

Your super quiet with the drone buster is the absolute perfect all day trail muffler for trouble free operation great power and good sound. Even in Quebec where they are SUPER sticky about sound I was never questioned running the 2.5" TD super quiet with a drone buster in it. I don't have a dyno to prove it but I saw zero difference in performance, RPM, boost or knock resistance with the buster installed. To me it is the best of all worlds.

Turbo Dynamics likes this.
TurboJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
TommCat Performance

Current Sled(s): too many
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8, 06 F7, 03 ZR9, 02 ZL6, 98 ZR6, 86 El Tigre 6000
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJamie View Post
Your super quiet with the drone buster is the absolute perfect all day trail muffler for trouble free operation great power and good sound. Even in Quebec where they are SUPER sticky about sound I was never questioned running the 2.5" TD super quiet with a drone buster in it. I don't have a dyno to prove it but I saw zero difference in performance, RPM, boost or knock resistance with the buster installed. To me it is the best of all worlds.

Does qc go by sound level or visual inspection?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Home of the only clutch kits that can save you from honey badgers
Tommcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:

Very odd you wouldn't lose power with the drone buster. Interesting. Normally any restrictions especially one that cuts noise loses hp. I tested a ton of insert designs back in 2013 - 2014.
I had designed a cone shaped perforated cone that dropped 1.5db on most frequency range and that lose 1hp. I never got around to manufacturing it.

The drone buster you are talking about is sandale?

1-800-549-0246

2009-2015 1100 turbo 4 stage ECU REFLASH, 200-273HP on pump gas up to 320HP on race fuel. Fastest stock turbo E.T. on grass 4.46 at Haydays 2013 (Priceless sled)

Old 10-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by **SJ** View Post
Ive been eyeballing other exhausts....but recent tests with that noise meter showed me the super quiet is really super quiet....I was totally impressed...my question is ...for those who would run pt or even max 17+ would it flow enough...on the old sled I always thought 3"...but the quietness really impressed me in that test....how will it perform and wheres the cross over where yes here you need more?
Yes that dB test from totally yamaha. Very nice test. But under load is where you see a stock mod. Is. Much quieter than sq.

1-800-549-0246

Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 XRS 900 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): 2018 Ski-Doo BCX 850
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Ontario
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 9,253 km
17-18 Mileage: 7,900
16-17 Mileage: 7,130 km
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dynamics View Post
Very odd you wouldn't lose power with the drone buster. Interesting. Normally any restrictions especially one that cuts noise loses hp. I tested a ton of insert designs back in 2013 - 2014.
I had designed a cone shaped perforated cone that dropped 1.5db on most frequency range and that lose 1hp. I never got around to manufacturing it.

The drone buster you are talking about is sandale?

Yes and I made one of my own as well. It didn't take much to kill a ton of noise! Of course it still would fail the Quebec visual but it was quite enough to never be asked. I rode a good 80% of my 15-16 season in Qc.
Turbo Dynamics likes this.
TurboJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:
Yes and I made one of my own as well. It didn't take much to kill a ton of noise! Of course it still would fail the Quebec visual but it was quite enough to never be asked. I rode a good 80% of my 15-16 season in Qc.
Do you sell those inserts ?

1-800-549-0246

Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Z1 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): XF1100T / 800RS / Mach Z 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommcat View Post
Does qc go by sound level or visual inspection?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Visual inspection and as soon they see aftermarket exhaust = ticket or towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement