17-18 600 SX or 600 XC? - Page 7 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Sno Pro Race Chassis 2012+ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Current Sled(s): None :(
Previous Sled(s): 2016 Polaris SB Pro-X
Location: NH
Favorite Riding Area: On the snow
17-18 Mileage: 500
Age: 29
Riding Since: 3yo
Default

This all gets me excited.

I think I'll be going down the "SX-to-trail" rabbit hole next season.

I used to ride my race sleds on the trail occasionally and always wondered why I even had a trail sled. An SX sled is just too much damn fun.

- Rugged? Check.
- Primo suspension? Check.
- Relatively cheap even after converting whatever it is you want to "convert" for trail? Check.
- Stripped down to the essentials? Check.

Plus, an '18+ with the longer track aught to make for one sweet crossover-ish sled, too. Hell, extend the rails and throw a 144"+ track on and you have what the Assault-type sleds want to be when they grow up.

I couldn't care less about WOT pulls across a lake either. Corner to corner is all that matters!

Thanks for getting me all fired up, gents.
snox700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #62 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer
 
Zambroski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14,435
Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Location: Duluth, MN
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Age: 46
Riding Since: 1974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snox700 View Post
This all gets me excited.

I think I'll be going down the "SX-to-trail" rabbit hole next season.

I used to ride my race sleds on the trail occasionally and always wondered why I even had a trail sled. An SX sled is just too much damn fun.

- Rugged? Check.
- Primo suspension? Check.
- Relatively cheap even after converting whatever it is you want to "convert" for trail? Check.
- Stripped down to the essentials? Check.

Plus, an '18+ with the longer track aught to make for one sweet crossover-ish sled, too. Hell, extend the rails and throw a 144"+ track on and you have what the Assault-type sleds want to be when they grow up.

I couldn't care less about WOT pulls across a lake either. Corner to corner is all that matters!

Thanks for getting me all fired up, gents.
Good post! I agree!

However, the 18's prevent some unique issues. #1) not sure I want a longer track for corner to corner. #2) If you've followed this thread at all, you'll see that Arctic is moving away from reflashing these SX machines. They don't have a consumer/XC map for that mil and they all have to be customized....and I think consumers are burning them down and blaming CAT. 3.) 3 gallon tanks and I've seen no easy way increase that.

It's a select few of us that do this shit anymore (convert SX racers to a more trail adaptive sled). So, we should stick together and figure it out! I gotta be honest...I don't see going with any other type of sled after having mine. It's just plain insane!
__________________
Click here for the 2015 HCS Hurt Feelings report:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Current Sled(s): None :(
Previous Sled(s): 2016 Polaris SB Pro-X
Location: NH
Favorite Riding Area: On the snow
17-18 Mileage: 500
Age: 29
Riding Since: 3yo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambroski View Post
It's a select few of us that do this shit anymore (convert SX racers to a more trail adaptive sled). So, we should stick together and figure it out! I gotta be honest...I don't see going with any other type of sled after having mine. It's just plain insane!
Nailed it! Glad to know there are others out there!

Regarding your first points...

1) I do agree that 137" is at the limit for any kind of twisty corner to corner action. But, it can certainly be done in the right hands, and I think the added hookup out of the corners would be worth it.

2) The mapping "issue" doesn't really scare me off. There's gotta be someone somewhere that could get crafty and reflash these things, be it actually in TRF or aftermarket.

Also, if someone buys a SXer, runs its WOT for too long, burns it down, then blames Cat because they didn't understand what they bought... they should be properly given shit by their buddies, then politely educated on what just happened. I can understand Cat's stance on it though...

3) Upholstery experience + a good friend who loves sleds and is a top notch welder = Custom seat and larger aluminum fuel tank. Not that I've thought about it much or anything...

I like to think of these sleds as the trail rider's mod sled
snox700 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Guys, after all the exhaust temp talk what was the final verdict on the ecu reflash? If you aren't an idiot and you are trail riding only WOT for short bursts you can run the stock SX mapping on 91 octane no ethanol?
superboop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #65 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer
 
Zambroski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14,435
Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Location: Duluth, MN
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Age: 46
Riding Since: 1974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snox700 View Post
Nailed it! Glad to know there are others out there!



Regarding your first points...



1) I do agree that 137" is at the limit for any kind of twisty corner to corner action. But, it can certainly be done in the right hands, and I think the added hookup out of the corners would be worth it.



2) The mapping "issue" doesn't really scare me off. There's gotta be someone somewhere that could get crafty and reflash these things, be it actually in TRF or aftermarket.



Also, if someone buys a SXer, runs its WOT for too long, burns it down, then blames Cat because they didn't understand what they bought... they should be properly given shit by their buddies, then politely educated on what just happened. I can understand Cat's stance on it though...



3) Upholstery experience + a good friend who loves sleds and is a top notch welder = Custom seat and larger aluminum fuel tank. Not that I've thought about it much or anything...



I like to think of these sleds as the trail rider's mod sled






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Click here for the 2015 HCS Hurt Feelings report:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer
 
Zambroski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14,435
Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Location: Duluth, MN
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Age: 46
Riding Since: 1974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboop View Post
Guys, after all the exhaust temp talk what was the final verdict on the ecu reflash? If you aren't an idiot and you are trail riding only WOT for short bursts you can run the stock SX mapping on 91 octane no ethanol?


That appears to be the case. But, I only “pin” mine from corner to corner. No long runs where I ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Click here for the 2015 HCS Hurt Feelings report:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.