Oil Cap Venting Explained! With Video! - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/RMK (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

in a perfect world yes. but what I believe is happening is this. oil gets in there, with moisture,ice etc. it has a very small vent hole in the cap.and the angle of the tank is on the boarded line of venting at idle anyway. if your sled is tipped to the left a little or the trailer isn't level then its not going to vent anyway. if the pump draws more then 10"water column of vacuum it will never vent until the cap is opened. I have already tested this. with a empty tank with a mity vac. I banged the tank off the work bench and shook it as hard as I could. did not open the vent. and the ball was rattling the whole time. granted this takes a lot of things in combination to cause this. but do you want to gamble with your $12,000 sled? it can happen under the right conditions. the other thing is its causing erratic oil consumption from no venting then venting then not again. if your out west pulling a long shoot at wot the cap is not venting. and its using the most oil at this throttle position. it wouldn't take long to draw a fatal vacuum. maybe all the sleds in the west going down was due to this and nothing else?
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SW ASSAULT,2003 prox 7 mod
Previous Sled(s): 2004 prox 700, 2001 XC 800
Favorite Riding Area: Baker River Valley NH
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 940
16-17 Mileage: 780
Riding Since: 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob02 View Post
I bought a vent kit, and my brand new sled (without adjusting the oil pump) is 55:1.That's after 100 miles in Togwotee.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App
In your post of the first ride you stated 55:1 and you where full power most of the time and the RMK sleds could walk around in the same snow at 1/2 power. Am I correct? If you I would say you need to turn up your pump about 1 ~2 turns , A average of 50:1 is good but if you where full power at 55:1 your a little on the low side for my likeing . had this been trail miles at low power and 55:1 I would say your close but not with the pump at full output.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Why do caps need to be vented never did on any of my Polaris Ultra, XLT, TXL etc?
vikingmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Formerly Rallyforlife

Current Sled(s): Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Sled The EAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingmk1 View Post
Why do caps need to be vented never did on any of my Polaris Ultra, XLT, TXL etc?
Those sleds had vents in the oil bottles... these sleds do NOT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Stock now: Vforce 3R, RKT 800cfi Pistons, Vented Oil Caps, Shapers, 2012-under Polaris Fuel Filters
Mohawk Ski sets $400, Powder Pro Sets $350, Float Plates, Legend Oil, TEAM Roosters, Gates Carbon 115 replacement Belts $95 Duraflex Scratchers $80set
Legend ZX-2R, and ZX-2SR in STOCK!!!
PaasoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

So why not go to the tried and true proven old design, seems like the new style sucks.

If the reason s if the sled is tipped over, WTF a sled is to be upright not upside down tried to solve a stupid problem for 1 or 2 people and now screwed thousands.
vikingmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Formerly Rallyforlife

Current Sled(s): Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Sled The EAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingmk1 View Post
So why not go to the tried and true proven old design, seems like the new style sucks.

If the reason s if the sled is tipped over, WTF a sled is to be upright not upside down tried to solve a stupid problem for 1 or 2 people and now screwed thousands.
My sled ends up in compromised positions all the time... different riding styles for all of us.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Stock now: Vforce 3R, RKT 800cfi Pistons, Vented Oil Caps, Shapers, 2012-under Polaris Fuel Filters
Mohawk Ski sets $400, Powder Pro Sets $350, Float Plates, Legend Oil, TEAM Roosters, Gates Carbon 115 replacement Belts $95 Duraflex Scratchers $80set
Legend ZX-2R, and ZX-2SR in STOCK!!!
PaasoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 98 xc 700, 97 formula z 583, 95 indy sp xlt
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaasoRacing View Post
Those sleds had vents in the oil bottles... these sleds do NOT!
Yuppers old sleds had a nice lil 1/8 inch vent tube for the oil tanks.

eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Polaris ProRMK 800 163, 2014 Polaris IQR
Previous Sled(s): 2014 Polaris Switchback Assault, 2012 Polaris Rush ProR, 120
Favorite Riding Area: Wyoming
Riding Since: 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
In your post of the first ride you stated 55:1 and you where full power most of the time and the RMK sleds could walk around in the same snow at 1/2 power. Am I correct? If you I would say you need to turn up your pump about 1 ~2 turns , A average of 50:1 is good but if you where full power at 55:1 your a little on the low side for my likeing . had this been trail miles at low power and 55:1 I would say your close but not with the pump at full output.

Your assumption is correct. Thanks for the info, I will make a small change to it and monitor it again!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 600 Rush , 2000 xcr 800 , 98 xc 600
Previous Sled(s): 91 xc 400 and a bunch of clunkers
Favorite Riding Area: anywheres theres snow
Riding Since: 1990

I heard you were rough on the indy but damn , you should work on a self righting system next .

OldPolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SBA, 05' RMK, 74' Raider Double Eagle
Previous Sled(s): 73 lynx, 92 indy, 99 xcsp 600, 07 IQR 600HO, 09 Polaris D8.
Favorite Riding Area: POWDER!
Riding Since: 2002

how does warranty play into all this? i have the extended polarisstar. i have 436 miles on my 2013 switch assault 800 and the oil light literally came on putting the sled in the trailer at the end of last season....it seems like it didnt use much oil at all. wouldnt polaris recall this if it was burning up sleds that they're paying to fix? Passo, what does your kit cost? and do you know any exact details of how it affects warranty? i thought about turning my pump up, but i guess i'd rather bring a blown sled to the dealer and have it be 100% where they set it so they cant come back on me..first new sled, first time with a warranty on anything with a motor! just looking to clarify and get help! i'd rather not blow it at all but if it goes i want them to pay to fix it!
Advertisement