Over-fueling / Fouled Plugs / Stock Tuning - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/RMK (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 PolarisSwitchbackAssault
Favorite Riding Area: ALASKA
Riding Since: 90's
Default Over-fueling / Fouled Plugs / Stock Tuning

I did the first big real ride of the season on friday, as did everyone else in southcentral AK with the weekend opening and right off the getgo the sled was firing on one cylinder. I swapped the plugs and then it ran fine - 10 minutes later - firing on one cylinder again. One of the local sled shop owners was there and he recommended that I replace the stock plug caps with NGK plug caps as they seat tighter on the plug and they make better contact with the plug wires. I met him at the parking lot to get the parts and I shaved some insulation down to expose the wire a bit better and put on the new plug cap. after several minutes - same deal - misfiring. I only replaced the clutch side plug cap but swapped new plugs for both sides when needed because it seemed to be the side that was misfiring. Im home now and need some suggestions. Last year my sled did this twice and it was just a matter of throttle cable adjustment and plug changing, it was overfueling - the exhaust was rather black as well this last ride when firing on one cylinder. Im going to inspect the wires/plug caps and install new ones along with finding the right throttle adjustment. Any ideas where that should be?
NOTE: Ive recently been told that it could possibly be caused from the aftermarket exhaust can because when these sleds were built, they were tuned with stock specs and parts (obviously), but most aftermarket manufacturers test and fine tune their parts before bringing it to the market. Does anyone else have an aftermarket exhaust (pipes/cans etc.) with this similar issue?
thoughts - comments - ideas - would be appreciated
AK907FERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

what color are your fuel injectors? if you look from the exhaust can side of your sled in at your throttle bodys the wires to the injectors are on top of fuel rail they have a wrap of colored tape on them. either yellow, blue, or red. if they are blue or red they should be replaced. new ones will be yellow but ecu will have to be reflashed. some yellow have also failed. polaris will warenty this if there bad. but first do you have a check engine light on?
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 switchback assault 2.0
Previous Sled(s): 2010 rmk 800 144
Favorite Riding Area: north sask
Riding Since: 14

Lol not what I wanted to read for the first ride report

EAT skidoo... SHIT arctic cat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010rmk800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '18 XCR 800 '97 Ultra SPX '12 Pro R 800
Previous Sled(s): '98 Indy 440, '02 XCSP 500, '01 600 Classic '05 XCSP 700
Favorite Riding Area: where ever the snow is
19-20 Mileage: 600
18-19 Mileage: 732.3
Riding Since: 2001

BUTZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK907FERK View Post
I did the first big real ride of the season on friday, as did everyone else in southcentral AK with the weekend opening and right off the getgo the sled was firing on one cylinder. I swapped the plugs and then it ran fine - 10 minutes later - firing on one cylinder again. One of the local sled shop owners was there and he recommended that I replace the stock plug caps with NGK plug caps as they seat tighter on the plug and they make better contact with the plug wires. I met him at the parking lot to get the parts and I shaved some insulation down to expose the wire a bit better and put on the new plug cap. after several minutes - same deal - misfiring. I only replaced the clutch side plug cap but swapped new plugs for both sides when needed because it seemed to be the side that was misfiring. Im home now and need some suggestions. Last year my sled did this twice and it was just a matter of throttle cable adjustment and plug changing, it was overfueling - the exhaust was rather black as well this last ride when firing on one cylinder. Im going to inspect the wires/plug caps and install new ones along with finding the right throttle adjustment. Any ideas where that should be?
NOTE: Ive recently been told that it could possibly be caused from the aftermarket exhaust can because when these sleds were built, they were tuned with stock specs and parts (obviously), but most aftermarket manufacturers test and fine tune their parts before bringing it to the market. Does anyone else have an aftermarket exhaust (pipes/cans etc.) with this similar issue?
thoughts - comments - ideas - would be appreciated
Yours is a 11 isn't it? Hopefully my 12s not gonna do that first ride lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1981 Moto-Ski Mirage II
Previous Sled(s): Stolen: 2012 Polaris Switchback Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Wherever there is snow
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 800
Riding Since: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rmk800 View Post
X2

Ol' Faithful: 1981 Moto-Ski Mirage II
6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

2012's have bosch fuel injectors. no problem with them. 2008-2011 use a different supplier i can,t remeber the name. there were some injector failers with a run of them. problem is some 2011 got them and polaris doesn't know how many or the specific sleds. what i under stand with the color coding is they are flow tested and given a color code. yellow flows the least red the most. the ecu has to be programed to these different colors. so you can't just change a red for a yellow injectors without a reflash. that tells me the injectors are all over the place. if you get new injectors they are only yellow now. the other problem is its a mechainical problem not electrical. so it doesn't show up on the digital wrench. if you are having fuel related issues? fouling plugs,stalling,hesitating,stumbling,running rich, lack of performance,etc. i would suspect the injectors. take it to a dealer they have to do a bunch of test to rule out other problems before they replace them. i'am not trying to scare anyone just passing on what i've had happen and know about. from what i've seen its over fueling and not burn downs. i think the injectors are either sticking or flowing fuel when they shouldn't?
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 PolarisSwitchbackAssault
Favorite Riding Area: ALASKA
Riding Since: 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
2012's have bosch fuel injectors. no problem with them. 2008-2011 use a different supplier i can,t remeber the name. there were some injector failers with a run of them. problem is some 2011 got them and polaris doesn't know how many or the specific sleds. what i under stand with the color coding is they are flow tested and given a color code. yellow flows the least red the most. the ecu has to be programed to these different colors. so you can't just change a red for a yellow injectors without a reflash. that tells me the injectors are all over the place. if you get new injectors they are only yellow now. the other problem is its a mechainical problem not electrical. so it doesn't show up on the digital wrench. if you are having fuel related issues? fouling plugs,stalling,hesitating,stumbling,running rich, lack of performance,etc. i would suspect the injectors. take it to a dealer they have to do a bunch of test to rule out other problems before they replace them. i'am not trying to scare anyone just passing on what i've had happen and know about. from what i've seen its over fueling and not burn downs. i think the injectors are either sticking or flowing fuel when they shouldn't?
yea this is basically what the dealer explained to me last year as well but they were able to avoid tinkering with the injectors by adjusting the throttle. i'll take a look tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rmk800 View Post
yes it is. yea hopefully no one else has this issue.
AK907FERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Polaris Switchback Assault

What kind of can are you running? I've recently come across a guy whos MBRP can gave him engine issues..

ultranorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
Phew.. Lol good to hear for the 2012s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement