Idle issue - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/RMK (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Idle issue

Hey guys new question. This whole rpm and idling thing is becoming a big problem. I sent it to the dealer to adjust the idle on my machine they adjusted it. Still have the same problem with it killing my plugs. It will not idle for very long after it reaches 80 degrees f. It slowly idles down rpms drop from 1500 ish to 1000 then guage starts to blink and then dies. I can start it up about 3 times and after that wont start anymore. Plugs are not fouled I believe but more so dead. Dont think it will spark anymore. Change the plugs and fires right up no problem... (when I take the plugs out I notice exhaust coming out of exhaust side cylinder and none out of clutch side). I checked compression. I have rk tek pistons about 133 psi in both. Does this sound more like cool issue or voltage regulator? This has me stumped. Any help is appreciated.

P.s. I can drive it around all day and have no problems. This is only if I let it idle once the motor is above 80 longer the ln 3-5 minutes without holding the throttle to about 1600 rpm.

Sometimes once it happens you can also hear that it's running on one cylinder and has no power. I tried bpr9es plugs as well as the iridium bpr9eix?
Phils15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils15 View Post
Hey guys new question. This whole rpm and idling thing is becoming a big problem. I sent it to the dealer to adjust the idle on my machine they adjusted it. Still have the same problem with it killing my plugs. It will not idle for very long after it reaches 80 degrees f. It slowly idles down rpms drop from 1500 ish to 1000 then guage starts to blink and then dies. I can start it up about 3 times and after that wont start anymore. Plugs are not fouled I believe but more so dead. Dont think it will spark anymore. Change the plugs and fires right up no problem... (when I take the plugs out I notice exhaust coming out of exhaust side cylinder and none out of clutch side). I checked compression. I have rk tek pistons about 133 psi in both. Does this sound more like cool issue or voltage regulator? This has me stumped. Any help is appreciated.

P.s. I can drive it around all day and have no problems. This is only if I let it idle once the motor is above 80 longer the ln 3-5 minutes without holding the throttle to about 1600 rpm.

Sometimes once it happens you can also hear that it's running on one cylinder and has no power. I tried bpr9es plugs as well as the iridium bpr9eix?
try champion rn57yc i believe? i had a rmk would do that on ngk plugs? switched to champion's just on a wim and it stopped doing that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks I'll give it a shot

Old 12-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 800
Previous Sled(s): 600 H.O. Fusion

Iíve had much better luck with NGK plugs, than the Champions, for the past 10 years or so.
sayatodaU.P.eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea, at this point I'll try anything. I even installed new wires and caps
Old 12-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

What year and model machine are we working with here?

When you say the plugs are "dead", are you seeing evidence of oil fouling, fuel fouling, or loss of spark? You need to visually verify what is happening here, as guessing at a loss of spark will have you chasing your tail. I've seen rare instances of stator wires being rubbed though, so visually inspect the stator harness for any damage.

These engines also tend to like BPR9ES plugs the best, and I've seen several Champion plugs drop electrodes over the last few years, I personally would not recommend using those.

Other things to check would include fuel pressure. How fresh is the fuel, and when was the last time the filter was changed? A failing or severely straining pump can cause a large electrical draw, and act like a regulator failure.

Also, check voltage on the DC line when the machine is acting up, that may tell you if low voltage may be your problem due to a failed regulator or a sudden large draw if you believe you have a low voltage problem.

You said the dealer adjusted your idle/TPS, but did you ask them what type of adjustment they performed? You may need the TPS base setting reset before adjusting idle if they did not perform that, or it may even be an issue where your throttle bodies are not properly synchronized, which is very important as it can cause erratic issues at idle. You can quickly check this yourself by removing the throttle bodies and shining a light from the back sides of the plate with the idle screw backed off, it should be perfectly even (but you would need to have the idle set again afterwards).
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. It is a 2012 polaris assault. The spark plugs are dead no arc. The sled is burning them out. The virtually still look brand new when I pull them out. I didnt have this problem last year. On a frequent bases. I did have detonation code comin up at the end of the seasom so I changed the fuel filter this fall and got both clutches rebuilt by the dealershipas well. That is all I did to the motor side of things this yr. I also cleaned the valves but that normal maintenance. As far as the throttle set up I asked the dealership to adjust the idle.on it cause it idles to low and the hooked up the computer and couldnt see anything wrong with tps or throttle cable. And said they dont know why its idling low. They said it could probably use a rebuild. But top end was just done at 5000 miles and I owe have 6700 miles on it. I just put another 80 miles on it this weekend. And started to run and idle well until I put it in reverse the it would slowly just start dieing again. So I would have to try and get it to idle or shut it down to forward.im planning a big trip this yr so I would like to get to the bottom of this any help would be greatly appreciated
T.I.A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement