vented oil cap - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/RMK (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

after working with 7 different iron dog race teams over the years. a number of DNF'S were the result of this cap not venting for one reason or another. the first team that called us had a DNF from a non venting cap that had just frost in it. the tank was collapsed when they opened the side panel. so tell these guys the stock cap is o.k. we sell these every year to iron dog racers, cains quest, Jackson hole, RMR xc, and others. arctic-cat used this cap and had a number of failures. the cap was found the root cause. they got rid of it and had a bulletin on it. changed to a different cap. then the oil tank but did not go back to that pos cap.

roll the dice. we don't just work on local sleds. we get calls from all over the country and Canada that have experienced failures from these. we vent all of our oil tanks my riding buddy's brothers etc. over 300,000 combined miles with out one motor failure even on 2008, 09, 10 800's. one 800 that was ours is at 13,000 mile's so who are you going to listen to? guys that trade every year and keep there sleds in a heated garage. or racers beating the shit out of there stuff? oh a by the way not one DNF in all forms of racing with our tank vent. 100% success.

do what you want. it's your 13,000.00 sled.
MuscleD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
after working with 7 different iron dog race teams over the years. a number of DNF'S were the result of this cap not venting for one reason or another. the first team that called us had a DNF from a non venting cap that had just frost in it. the tank was collapsed when they opened the side panel. so tell these guys the stock cap is o.k. we sell these every year to iron dog racers, cains quest, Jackson hole, RMR xc, and others. arctic-cat used this cap and had a number of failures. the cap was found the root cause. they got rid of it and had a bulletin on it. changed to a different cap. then the oil tank but did not go back to that pos cap.

roll the dice. we don't just work on local sleds. we get calls from all over the country and Canada that have experienced failures from these. we vent all of our oil tanks my riding buddy's brothers etc. over 300,000 combined miles with out one motor failure even on 2008, 09, 10 800's. one 800 that was ours is at 13,000 mile's so who are you going to listen to? guys that trade every year and keep there sleds in a heated garage. or racers beating the shit out of there stuff? oh a by the way not one DNF in all forms of racing with our tank vent. 100% success.

Ok, where can I order one for my 2011, I do not use facebook. Don't you have a website for your products?

And thank you for your time and the information. I do not think its worth a chance, I realize its a potential problem and a relatively inexpensive upgrade to reduce the risk of a related failure.

Thank you all for your input.
beerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Ok, where can I order one for my 2011, I do not use facebook. Don't you have a website for your products?

And thank you for your time and the information. I do not think its worth a chance, I realize its a potential problem and a relatively inexpensive upgrade to reduce the risk of a related failure.

Thank you all for your input.
it's $40 shipped. give me your e-mail address and i will invoice you. don't need paypal either a credit/debit card will work. you can p.m. me your e-mail address to keep it off the open forum if you want.

thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Pro-R 800 switchback
Previous Sled(s): 04 pro x2, edge x 700, 99 xc 500, 92 xcr 440, 89 indy trail
Favorite Riding Area: Midwest
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 450
Riding Since: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post

This 100%. I could not blow through my oil tank cap at all. No air passed through it. Even trying to force air through it didn't. Unless it was at 100% horizontal. Which it isn't. Even shaking it at an angle, it didn't let air pass. Arctic cat offered a great cap and many others created a cap that will vent no matter what. 25 to 40 bucks to ensure your not starving on oil. Its a no brainer.
cfm likes this.
MuscleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 900 Fuse-10,800miles and going / 06 600HO M10
Riding Since: 3 BC

Yup.
The ball type Polaris uses it not bad until it gets oily,and the oil gums/ gets sticky/thickens...usually on real cold days. Also, if you take off your cap and blow thru the bottom, start tilting cap slowly until ball rolls away from pintle (you'll feel it) and you can no longer blow thru it. It is not that great of an angle. I have done the small drill trick, Skidoo/ Cat also has an updated cap. I have Fusions still, and they use a good amt of oil with the caps replaced...maybe that is why one is over 10k miles ?
PPP Charter Member #2

-"Your motor will tell you what it wants. Are you listening ?" - Darin Morgan
- "Look at the way they flew in the slew. Hats off to you. Woopy Doo!" - ICEMANJOE

Last edited by cfm; 12-16-2019 at 12:37 PM.
cfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleD View Post
I use an arctic cat 2670-643 oil cap. It uses a duck bill style vent. Not a ball that relies on vibrating to vent. You can roll the sled and I won't leak either. Air can't be pushed out though. Ill still be keeping my cap loose for summer storage. Its only 23 bucks too.
https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-ca...-stroke-models

My stock oil cap did not vent at the slightest angle at all. I had my oil cap on this summer, the pressure squeezed my tank and the thing did not vent at all. Pushed a bunch of oil into the case. Took the term "holy smokes" to a whole new meaning on start up.
I wonder if that is why mine smoked bad for the first 5 minutes. I did open the cap a few times over the summer.
Frankie406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement