2015 polaris assault 800 144x2 suspention set up - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/RMK (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 assault 800 144x2
Previous Sled(s): 10 all together, Pro x 800, Switchback 800, Xc-600, XC-700,
Favorite Riding Area: jackman, jefferson with son
Riding Since: 1978
Default 2015 polaris assault 800 144x2 suspention set up

I bought this sled used,,i just cant get comfortable on the machine,, so many changes I need to get back to basics,, anyone have a solid bench mark to start off with, ,I have no idea how it was from factory, Right now seems to dart around and steer heavy. Limiter straps in the middle hole and sitting in trailer straps tight?? Just need to get back to basics. TY!!
1290pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 800
Previous Sled(s): 600 H.O. Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1290pine View Post
I bought this sled used,,i just cant get comfortable on the machine,, so many changes I need to get back to basics,, anyone have a solid bench mark to start off with, ,I have no idea how it was from factory, Right now seems to dart around and steer heavy. Limiter straps in the middle hole and sitting in trailer straps tight?? Just need to get back to basics. TY!!

1. Total weight of rider and cargo.
2. Type of riding you do and BE HONEST.

Had two SBAs now. Not super great trail sleds but great 50/50 sleds. Gotta remember, that rear skid is mostly based on old mountain sled tech so itís not made to pound big gnarly trails all day.
sayatodaU.P.eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I weigh 202 no gear,, I have a tunnel rack with a total of maybe 15-20 lbs, and I ride hard and off trail in Jackman me 70% of the time,,i like to take a trail ride as well

Old 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1290pine View Post
I weigh 202 no gear,, I have a tunnel rack with a total of maybe 15-20 lbs, and I ride hard and off trail in Jackman me 70% of the time,,i like to take a trail ride as well

Call Hygear. Get their front dual rate skid spring and replacement torsion springs. Then have them valve your rear shocks for weight, springs used and type of riding. That skid isnít going to be impressive until you spend that money. Still hard to make that skid work super great on trail because itís uncoupled, as well. Leave the limiter straps alone. Front skid torque arm in the bottom hole for off trail, unless itís SUPER deep powder then put it in the top hole so it donít trench.

Gripper skis with 6Ē Shaper bars, factory ski spring settings and play with the shock clickers until it feels good. Hygear also makes dual rate ski springs too which I hear are nice.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Switchback 600, 2013 Switchback Assault
Previous Sled(s): Many Poo's

Definatly need to do something with the front arm. I chose to bolt into the next higher tunnel holes (like the RMK) then let the straps out. This gave more travel in the front arm so it didn't bottom so easy. Make sure to check ski alignment to give you slight toe out. If there is too much loading on the skis, make sure the rear torsion springs aren't too jacked up. Measure them to see if you have the stock .357 or big boy .375 (or even .405's).
1290pine likes this.
sno sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default assault

[QUOTE=sno sub;19728874]Definatly need to do something with the front arm. I chose to bolt into the next higher tunnel holes (like the RMK) then let the straps out. This gave more travel in the front arm so it didn't bottom so easy. Make sure to check ski alignment to give you slight toe out. If there is too much loading on the skis, make sure the rear torsion springs aren't too jacked up. Measure them to see if you have the stock .357 or big boy .375 (or even .405's).[/QUOTEThanks that seems to make some sence to me,,ime goint to try a few things this weekend
Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

front springs-top of threads to center of color 3'',, dropped limiter strap to furthest out,, 6'' of sag took putting my adjuster cams to high,, backed off on front skid shock spring 3 turns and 4 clicks and 6 clicks rear shock. Snow mushy so a lil tough but I would say a better off trail set up than on trail for sure,,only way to corner is to let off throttle theres no cornering under power forget it! I cant help thinking 1/2 way between middle and lower strap hole would be for me,,all out great for weight transfer but sucks on trail... ??
Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 144
Previous Sled(s): 2013 INDY 600, 2008 IQ SHIFT, 94 INDY STORM,
Riding Since: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayatodaU.P.eh? View Post
Call Hygear. Get their front dual rate skid spring and replacement torsion springs. Then have them valve your rear shocks for weight, springs used and type of riding. That skid isnít going to be impressive until you spend that money. Still hard to make that skid work super great on trail because itís uncoupled, as well. Leave the limiter straps alone. Front skid torque arm in the bottom hole for off trail, unless itís SUPER deep powder then put it in the top hole so it donít trench.

Gripper skis with 6Ē Shaper bars, factory ski spring settings and play with the shock clickers until it feels good. Hygear also makes dual rate ski springs too which I hear are nice.

Can u tell me how to do this?
"Front skid torque arm in the bottom hole for off trail"
Is this the holes by the limiter straps? there is 2 sets of holes. Mine is set on the higher holes by the limiter strap.
ozzydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzydog View Post
Can u tell me how to do this?
"Front skid torque arm in the bottom hole for off trail"
Is this the holes by the limiter straps? there is 2 sets of holes. Mine is set on the higher holes by the limiter strap.

Holes in the tunnel that the front skid torque arm bolts go in to mount the skid into the sled.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 144
Previous Sled(s): 2013 INDY 600, 2008 IQ SHIFT, 94 INDY STORM,
Riding Since: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayatodaU.P.eh? View Post
Holes in the tunnel that the front skid torque arm bolts go in to mount the skid into the sled.
Ok thanks. Can I do one side at a time? I have only removed these before on another skid to change shocks. Not easy to do this
ozzydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement