Assault not liking warm temps!!?? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback Assault/RMK (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 12 Assault 800 144, 13 Pro 800 155
Previous Sled(s): Many Cats and a Doo
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere with snow!!
Riding Since: 89
Default Assault not liking warm temps!!??

Just got back from Grand Mesa after 3 days of riding. 12' Assault 800 with 2500 miles.
First day, ran great till early afternoon when outside temps started pushing 50 degrees. It was a intermittent bog/ cut out like it was starving for fuel or there was a lack of spark. I could always make it come out of it as long as it was moving. It was very noticeable/annoying when i would stop for a few minutes. I did not matter where i was at in the powerband, it would cut out and sputter here and there. Took it to nearby dealer that evening and they put it on the computer and it wasn't showing any codes or any issues. Cleaned pover valves again. Did pressure test on fuel pump and had 60lbs. I know that to test that accurately i need to have the pressure test while it is acting up.

Second day, temps were a little cooler and I never had a problem. Maybe once or twice, but nothing real noticeable.

Third day, same thing as first. Ran great all morning then in afternoon, it started acting up again.
Anyone experienced this? Don't really want to buy a 500$ fuel pump and have that not be the fix. I have done some looking around and it looks like guys have chased this bog for a long time. I just don't know if that's the same thing I'm experiencing. Never had a Check engine light come on. Is there an outside air temp sensor somewhere on the machine? ECU not adjusting to elevation and temp? Engine temp was never high when this would happen, if anything it was when engine temp was a bit cooler after a break. Any help is greatly appreciated.
boonecat82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Switchback Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): Pro XR 800

I never had the exact same problem with the bog. Sounds more like a lack of fuel not too much.

My f'ed computer run in full rich mode, burning at least 30-40 % more fuel then it should and I know this running bumper-bumper with buddies and I couldn't figure out why a efi was doing this. It was studdery and shitty, but never ever bogged...
04proxr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SW ASSAULT,2003 prox 7 mod
Previous Sled(s): 2004 prox 700, 2001 XC 800
Favorite Riding Area: Baker River Valley NH
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 940
16-17 Mileage: 780
Riding Since: 1991

wet snow = poor motor cooling , what was your water temps. guessing you had water temps over 160* , these sleds get lazy when the water temps go up.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): 19 Indy XC,17 SBA,17 ProS 600 SB, 14 SBA 800, 09 D8,03 500
Favorite Riding Area: Off the beaten path
19-20 Mileage: 1202
18-19 Mileage: 1380.9
17-18 Mileage: 1481
16-17 Mileage: 1152
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
wet snow = poor motor cooling , what was your water temps. guessing you had water temps over 160* , these sleds get lazy when the water temps go up.
This would be my guess too.
edgexcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Previous Sled(s): POLARIS
Riding Since: 1971

maybe it needs a fuel filter and some non ethanol gas.
ROAD DOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

it's under hood heat. t-map sensor getting heat soaked. for a test if this happens again remove your side panels for awhile. I bet the bog is gone when you do this?
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Really never mattered what engine temp was. Rarely did it happen when engine temp was above 130. Fuel filter has maybe 200 miles on it. Premium gas. I did try riding it without the side panels one time when it was bad, but that didn't immediately fix it. Rick, where is that t map sensor located and do they go bad?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonecat82 View Post
Really never mattered what engine temp was. Rarely did it happen when engine temp was above 130. Fuel filter has maybe 200 miles on it. Premium gas. I did try riding it without the side panels one time when it was bad, but that didn't immediately fix it. Rick, where is that t map sensor located and do they go bad?
its in the upper air plenum. the piece that goes between the main air box and the hood. yes they can go bad but I bet it's just getting heat soaked? it's real bad after you stop a bit I bet? one other thing is if the hood doesn't fit that piece good or the seal at either end is bad it sucks warm air from under the hood instead of drawing cold air across the sensor. this cause's the sensor to lean the fuel out. the result is bogging. make sure the plenum piece is lined up right and its sealing good.
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
its in the upper air plenum. the piece that goes between the main air box and the hood. yes they can go bad but I bet it's just getting heat soaked? it's real bad after you stop a bit I bet? one other thing is if the hood doesn't fit that piece good or the seal at either end is bad it sucks warm air from under the hood instead of drawing cold air across the sensor. this cause's the sensor to lean the fuel out. the result is bogging. make sure the plenum piece is lined up right and its sealing good.
You called it! I found that the foam seal where the plenum goes into the air box was torn and I don't think the top piece of the hood was sitting on the plenum very well. I probably won't get a chance to ride in 50 degrees for a while as we have no snow at home, but I hope this will take care of my issue. Man, these newer sleds are sensitive! Thanks for the help
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '18 Ass 800, '19 Pro 800, ‘01 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): Lots
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 700...
Riding Since: 1987

My 2015 pro RMK did the identical thing as yours last spring at Rabbit Ears when temps reached 50 plus F. I believe it to be the heat soak issue as Rick pointed out. If you search on my posts, I have a near identical thread as this one from last spring.

I'm heading to Tog this week and I hope temps stays under 35.
amoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement