4 stroke service headaches - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 stroke service headaches

I have been keeping track of all the talk about the new Cats. I am hearing many mixed reviews about them not havinga 2 stroke 600 and using the 1100 non turbo as a viable replacement for it. Several complaints that i have heard about 4 stroke is the fact that changing the oil is a pain in the a$$ and that you have to take the machine to a dealer to get spark plugs replaced. I know that being 4 stroke clean plug replacement is proabably at a minimum. That being said i am curious why changing the plugs is a dealer only option and how long does it take? Also when it comes to changing oil how long is the service interval and how long does it actually take to change the oil? Is it just kind of a pain, easy or just flat out impossible without the right tools?
theoctagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ALMOST sledless ....
Previous Sled(s): too many Cats.......way too many ...
Favorite Riding Area: VT,Tug Hill, Moosehead/Rangley
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1633
17-18 Mileage: 1-ish
16-17 Mileage: 11-ish
Riding Since: 1975

I don't think anyone can speak truthfully on these new sleds since few at best have actually seen the engine bay layout and where everything is located/accessibility/etc. On the Twin Spar Z1, oil changes were pretty simple but plug changes (I've heard) require pulling the tank off to get to the plugs.......

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233 LE
Scuba year 'round
Australia and South Pacific Islands

taperk600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F1100 turbo retro
Previous Sled(s): 08 F1000 S/P

Oil change and filter on wife's 07 Jag is 15 mins......
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 ZR9000 Limited 137
Previous Sled(s): 12 F1100 Turo, 11 Z1 Turbo SP
Favorite Riding Area: Local & U.P. MI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoctagon View Post
I have been keeping track of all the talk about the new Cats. I am hearing many mixed reviews about them not havinga 2 stroke 600 and using the 1100 non turbo as a viable replacement for it. Several complaints that i have heard about 4 stroke is the fact that changing the oil is a pain in the a$$ and that you have to take the machine to a dealer to get spark plugs replaced. I know that being 4 stroke clean plug replacement is proabably at a minimum. That being said i am curious why changing the plugs is a dealer only option and how long does it take? Also when it comes to changing oil how long is the service interval and how long does it actually take to change the oil? Is it just kind of a pain, easy or just flat out impossible without the right tools?
I didn't think the oil change was that hard to do, maybe takes 20 min? depends on how long you let it drip, hardest part was getting the oil filter off the first time since I didn't have a small enough filter wrench.
Never tried the plugs yet.
The new chassy looks like the engine is more exposed and maybe easy to service.
JWool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 zr 9000 limited
Previous Sled(s): Lots
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec
Riding Since: 1980

You do not need to remove the tank on the old chassis to change the plugs. Not that hard. I regaped mine a week ago and it took me all of 20 min.
blurred vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I didnt think it would be as bad as some people are making it out to be. Kinda like an infomercial that makes things look so difficult before you had their product. People just wanna hate 4 stroke technology so no matter how easy or hard it is... Its impossible and stuipid and i dont want it. Gotta love that mentality. Look at the dirtbike and sport atv market. Now 4 strokes dominated to a point where they dont even mess with 2 stroke anymore.
theoctagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Lynx XTrim RE 850
Previous Sled(s): Lynx Boondocker 800, Lynx RAVE 800 SP, ZR700M10, Wildcat 700

I'd rather change plugs than pistons.. gotta be easier.

But I also love the 2-stroke scream compared to the lawnmower sound of 4-strokes..
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Zr 9000 Limited
Previous Sled(s): 1974 Speedway 440, plus many Mercs
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg NH, Canada
17-18 Mileage: 2252
16-17 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoctagon View Post
Hey Octagon;

Oil changes on my Z1 take about 1/2 hour. When you open the hood the oil filter is right there with a nifty drain hole right underneath it. The oil plug is on the bottom and is easy to get to . Funny how these things work but just came back from the Snodeo in Nh and there was an Apex there totally stripped down to the chassis and one gent came by to tell me how much he loves the sled but how much of a pain it was to get to the oil filter. I looked for myself and could'nt even see it with all the parts off!

Hats off to Cat here for making maintenance easy, better than the other manufacturers.

I have 3000 miles on mine and have not changed the plugs yet but managed to take the console and side covers off and it makes it so much easier to get at everything.No mileage claim for the plugs but the valves need to be adjusted at 5000 miles and this is what you should concern yourself with.
1976-Merc Sno Twister 440
teamgreen711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement