Making Cat skis work (trying) - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default Making Cat skis work (trying)

Dualies push, singles steer pretty good but are prone to darting. I like the dualie plate they're mounted on as it protects the keel keeping it square. I've takin the plate and cut/ground off the dualies and welded a good single down the middle, then cut a piece of 1"X 1" square tube in half lengthwise and welded that on the front kind of like the leading edge thing. Works pretty good, steers decent and no darting, quite a bit of work and the front piece being not hardened needs replaced every 800 miles or so. My latest shot at this focuses on the keel, (2020 ZR 6000 Limited) I think it's not aggressive enough. The slides are the same width as the keel, I cut one to the length of a 7" carbide shaper bar. Then cut off the "hooks" that hold the slides to rail leaving a nice 3/8" thick strip of slide material. Drilled holes in it and mounted it useing the bar to hold it on giving skis 3/8" more keel. It will protect the factory keel keeping it sharp, time will tell how long it last, but that stuff is wicked tuff. Pretty impressed with how it steers but conditions are not ideal to see if this is a solid solution. It definitely steers with much less push railing corners, steering effort is higher to the point that I believe I'm going to tighten front skid spring up the 3 turns I loosened it before trying this. I'd cough up the cash for aftermarkit...... What would be really cool is if I could test em first, like 3 of the top recommended skis back to back in varying conditions...... This 2020 front is great but there are still compromises to keep the steering effort super light for the masses.
59turbo likes this.
humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 ARCTIC CAT THUNDERCAT
Previous Sled(s): 14 XF9000 LTD, 12 XF1100 TURBO LXR 07 F1000
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Maine
19-20 Mileage: 1635
18-19 Mileage: 2260
17-18 Mileage: 1340
16-17 Mileage: 1350
Riding Since: 1978

Take a look at the HRP Pro-File runners. I tried a lot on my tcat, duallies,qualipieces, snow trackers, etc and they all still pushed some. These runners I bought this year and they are far more aggressive than anything I've tried and bite quite well. Haven't experienced any darting and these add quite a bit of additional keel, designed for cat stock ski. I can also run my limiters in stock hole without having to sacrifice handling, ride comfort, etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191231_093118.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	2072000  
59turbo likes this.
erskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ZR8000 Riot/ RS 6000
Previous Sled(s): PSI Genisis 1220 thunder cat, 1080 Genisis ZR900, 2 riots
Favorite Riding Area: northern ontario/quebec
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 4500
17-18 Mileage: 4487
16-17 Mileage: 2000
Riding Since: 70,s

Here is a trick i have been doing since early years. take one or two thick FLAT 3/8 WASHERS on the 2 middle studs of your carbide runner before installing them onto your ski's, i like to slightly bend my bars at either end so that when i tighten them up the ends bury themselves flush into ski. Putting the washers on the top of carbides before they are installed will force the center of runner down into the snow deeper in corners and on straights... no darting whatso ever!
It sort of acts like a longer keel hanging dwn.
Joe.G and HU4 like this.
KLYMAXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 ZR8000 RR, 18 High Country 8000 LTD, 11 Z1
Previous Sled(s): Too many to list
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec
19-20 Mileage: 4200
18-19 Mileage: 3800
17-18 Mileage: 2600
16-17 Mileage: 2400
Riding Since: 66

I'm a Snowtrackers user and believe it's the simplest way to improve every aspect of handling. They will eliminate darting 100% and you can play with the adjustments to get them set with just the right amount of bite without being heavy to steer. I've used them for years on all my Cats and have been extremely impressed. I'm only using the semi aggressive Snowtrackers and they are just the right amount of bite.
dskofich and 59turbo like this.
Boom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have a set of snow trackers on a 98 ZR 500 that is hanging on the wall of my shed, they're a bit higher than eye level and I've thought about pulling them off and trying them, I did love em on that sled. Them HRP Pro file runners are interesting....haven't seen them before. Also interesting the washers under the skag, I thought about putting the piece of slide under just the 2 center bolts and bending the bars up a bit on ends giving it a rocker effect. All way cheaper than aftermarket skis, I'm frugal and don't mind tinkering.
59turbo likes this.
humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 ARCTIC CAT THUNDERCAT
Previous Sled(s): 14 XF9000 LTD, 12 XF1100 TURBO LXR 07 F1000
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Maine
19-20 Mileage: 1635
18-19 Mileage: 2260
17-18 Mileage: 1340
16-17 Mileage: 1350
Riding Since: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom2 View Post
I'm a Snowtrackers user and believe it's the simplest way to improve every aspect of handling. They will eliminate darting 100% and you can play with the adjustments to get them set with just the right amount of bite without being heavy to steer. I've used them for years on all my Cats and have been extremely impressed. I'm only using the semi aggressive Snowtrackers and they are just the right amount of bite.

I tried some aggressive snow trackers last year and they worked decent in softer snow. The issue I had with them is I ride mid week here in Maine and sometimes the trails are rock hard/flat from being groomed the night before. I found the sno trackers didn't respond well to freshly groomed rock hard trail. You couldn't push them in corners and they hunted around on a trail with no tracks. I was happy with them in half the conditions I rode, but didn't care for them on fresh hard pack. A lot of people swear by them and I think if you ride softer trails most of the time they're a good choice. When you have varying hard pack conditions, they aren't my top choice of runner.
erskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erskin View Post
I tried some aggressive snow trackers last year and they worked decent in softer snow. The issue I had with them is I ride mid week here in Maine and sometimes the trails are rock hard/flat from being groomed the night before. I found the sno trackers didn't respond well to freshly groomed rock hard trail. You couldn't push them in corners and they hunted around on a trail with no tracks. I was happy with them in half the conditions I rode, but didn't care for them on fresh hard pack. A lot of people swear by them and I think if you ride softer trails most of the time they're a good choice. When you have varying hard pack conditions, they aren't my top choice of runner.
I wonder if the semi aggressive sno trackers are a better all around setup?
59turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 LTD IACT
Previous Sled(s): 14 XF 7000 10 F8 SP,05 F6,02 ZL 600SS, 99 ZL 600, 96 Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Central MN
19-20 Mileage: 1425
18-19 Mileage: 1170
17-18 Mileage: 1260
16-17 Mileage: 960
Riding Since: 1972

I run the Bergstrom Triple point 8" with the ski guides and the shim that Bergstrom sends with new carbides. The shim helps the ski to run flatter and wears the entire carbide evenly.

I would run the 6" the 8" are a little harder to turn unless studded.

Very expensive but will last many miles more then other carbides.

I like that they are a full 8" piece of carbide not 1" pieces. Seems like the 1" pieces once one falls out the rest catch and get pulled out also.
Fun11cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 ZR8000 RR, 18 High Country 8000 LTD, 11 Z1
Previous Sled(s): Too many to list
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec
19-20 Mileage: 4200
18-19 Mileage: 3800
17-18 Mileage: 2600
16-17 Mileage: 2400
Riding Since: 66

I have tried both and the aggressive are much more difficult to adjust. So I find that the semi aggressive can be set up to not hunt on a fresh trail by shimming the ski same as you would with regular carbides. It helps take the stabilizer off the surface slightly on icy or hard packed groomed trails. It allows the centre carbide to carve better . I'm not sure but to me comparing the two types of Snowtrackers the centre everlaster keel protrudes more on the semi aggressive than on the aggressive style which in some circumstances actually acts more aggressive. The difference is the stabilizer's are longer on the aggressive style but the centre keel is same depth on both. I don't know if that makes sense but it's sorta my opinion.
59turbo likes this.
Boom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

Sno trackers, triple points, other exotic solutions are a bandaid for setup. Tried them all and never again
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement