2020 RXC first ride - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default 2020 RXC first ride

So I got to ride my new sled this past weekend, first procross for me also. First off that 600 is a pretty sweet engine, very responsive and smooth! However, I didn’t like the handling. Mine has a very bad push in the turns and if it does bite, it’s on one ski. I haven’t touched anything yet but I’m planning to suck up the limiter strap and maybe tighten up the front ski springs a bit. My buddy has a 2018 zr 8000 that’s all stock suspension wise including the dual runner carbides that cat has (mine has single runners) and that corners way better than mine but his is also a 129 inch. Also I need to add weight to the clutch or soften the primary spring cuz it over revs big time to the tune of 8500 rpm at wot. I can get 8100 rpm at less that half throttle. Anyone have any input to my “dilemmas”? I see some guys are replacing skis but if I can get mine to turn like my buddy’s sled I’d be happy and he has stock skis. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

On edit: I love that 1.350 cobra track! It makes that engine and brake feel phenomenal!

Last edited by 59turbo; 01-20-2020 at 10:40 PM.
59turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

Bring rpm down with weight, a spring won't really do much for shift out rpm. I always try to soften the front track shock as much as I can before pulling in the strap. Doing one or both should help it alot. Sweet sled
mnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Looking
Previous Sled(s): 14 Cat Turbo, 07 Apex GT, 03 ZR900, 01 ZRT 800
Favorite Riding Area: The County
Riding Since: 1973

I would recommend starting with loosening your center shock spring first, if its not already. That will get your front lower and more pressure on the skis. I literally go to a loose spring and then go 1 or 2 turns tighter to start. If your banging ditches that may not be what works but for trail riding its a good start. If not enough, adjust your front shock springs second. From there I would consider bigger carbides or different skis if you are looking for razor sharp handling. I would leave the limiter strap for last. I always like to start soft on spring settings and work into a setting that works for my style of riding. The limiter strap takes away the transfer on coupled suspensions, so for me its a last result change. Trail sleds handle best as low to the ground as you can get them.
59turbo likes this.
PushawZr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Green one's with Suzuki engines
Previous Sled(s): Green, Blue & Yellow
Favorite Riding Area: Wouldn't you like to know?
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59turbo View Post
So I got to ride my new sled this past weekend, first procross for me also. First off that 600 is a pretty sweet engine, very responsive and smooth! However, I didn’t like the handling. Mine has a very bad push in the turns and if it does bite, it’s on one ski. I haven’t touched anything yet but I’m planning to suck up the limiter strap and maybe tighten up the front ski springs a bit. My buddy has a 2018 zr 8000 that’s all stock suspension wise including the dual runner carbides that cat has (mine has single runners) and that corners way better than mine but his is also a 129 inch. Also I need to add weight to the clutch or soften the primary spring cuz it over revs big time to the tune of 8500 rpm at wot. I can get 8100 rpm at less that half throttle. Anyone have any input to my “dilemmas”? I see some guys are replacing skis but if I can get mine to turn like my buddy’s sled I’d be happy and he has stock skis. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

On edit: I love that 1.350 cobra track! It makes that engine and brake feel phenomenal!
the comments new front end/front skid arm geometry and steering are all over the place.
https://www.hardcoresledder.com/foru...-ski-lift.html
https://www.hardcoresledder.com/foru...justments.html

are you getting your body forward in the seat cup and leaning aggressively? what were the trail conditions like? shocks set on soft/med/firm? here on Saturday we had 4-5" of powder on top of hard pack and my sled which normally steers like a ginsu knife was pushing quite a bit while breaking trail for the group I was leading. later in the day after trails got packed down it was back to normal. in the morning the push was bad enough I considered adding ski spring pressure but was just too lazy to do it.

maybe wait for another ride in different conditions (hard groomed) and as mnstang suggested tinker with the fts spring and ski spring pressure but don't pull the limiter straps right away. limiter straps come into play more when full throttle and how often are we at full throttle mid-corner?
59turbo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crnr2Crnr; 01-20-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Crnr2Crnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I looked at the front skid spring and I can grab it and move it so it’s not that tight but I may be able to loosen it up a bit.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstang View Post
Bring rpm down with weight, a spring won't really do much for shift out rpm. I always try to soften the front track shock as much as I can before pulling in the strap. Doing one or both should help it alot. Sweet sled
Thanks man, Iím looking at some 68 gram weights, stock is 66 and using a 120/235 spring with stock being 120/265. That should bring it down some. Also may get the 105/225 spring as a last resort. Weights are expensive at $45 each compared to a spring.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks man, Iím looking at some 68 gram weights, stock is 66 and using a 120/235 spring with stock being 120/265. That should bring it down some. Also may get the 105/225 spring as a last resort. Weights are expensive at $45 each compared to a spring.
seem to recall @Greg B. or @team1 saying Jeremy at Speedwerx suggested not messing with the RXC clutching but don't precisely recall why???

what type of trails/snow were you on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): r and a hacked togeather Snopro
Previous Sled(s): Xf700, F7sp, F5, ZLs,Zrs, Ext, Jags, el tigre
Favorite Riding Area: Back home In the Yoop
Riding Since: 1988

I have never messed with a rxc. My 600 I ran a tied, weights in the low 70s 140/290 spring in the primary
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

Quote:
Just pay attention with that spring. Not just about the start and finish published pounds but it's the rate of the spring you feel and that spring will have less rate and the sled probably won't be as snappy with that spring almost like a little slower backshift. Might not be an issue but something to keep in mind when testing. I don't really like the lower rate springs. Might want to make sure the spring isn't binding on the little cup it sits in too because it's weird it's over revving that much.
59turbo likes this.
mnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
I have never messed with a rxc. My 600 I ran a tied, weights in the low 70s 140/290 spring in the primary
it wasn't you, there was a lot of commentary in another RXC thread
Quote:
In a recent ArcticInsider interview with Zach Herfindahl, Herfindahl stated he was clutch tuning with Jeremy Houle and Ron Gilland of Speedwerx and found no significant gains from the stock calibration.
https://www.hardcoresledder.com/foru...l#post17892609

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstang View Post
Just pay attention with that spring. Not just about the start and finish published pounds but it's the rate of the spring you feel and that spring will have less rate and the sled probably won't be as snappy with that spring almost like a little slower backshift. Might not be an issue but something to keep in mind when testing. I don't really like the lower rate springs. Might want to make sure the spring isn't binding on the little cup it sits in too because it's weird it's over revving that much.
someone here with a new 8000 put in a stiffer secondary spring which helped, but I don't feel like looking for that right now.

we still haven't heard what the conditions were, his speed, etc. studded or not? lot's of variables including track spin. maybe they're clutched for studs?
59turbo likes this.

Last edited by Crnr2Crnr; 01-21-2020 at 01:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement