2020 RXC first ride - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I’ll second the comment about the conditions. I have my sled dialed in pretty well and these conditions in the north east are not great. Very little base with loose snow on top. Nothing to grab onto. I always loosen the front skid spring first, and make sure I have typical conditions (decent base, groomed) to test on. Obviously handling will be different in powder.
59turbo likes this.
SteveCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

First day conditions were typical hardback groomed trail, not mealy or sugary at all and very cold with a high of about 4 degrees in northern Maine. It over revved right off the bat like 8300++ from mile zero. I feel that traction wasn’t an issue as it felt like it hooked up well and I have 2 studs per row and they’re 1.450 long. I didn’t think about clutches binding to tell you the truth. I figured Cat didn’t really care about clutching on that sled since racers would reclutch anyways. I’m still comparing the handling to my buddy’s 2018 that was riding with me to my sled so conditions are the same and his was significantly better. I will look at the front skid shock and will probably pull up the limiter cuz I do that on every sled I’ve owned, I just like that feel but his zr8000 hasn’t been touched at all so I don’t know, I was really expecting it to carve but maybe the track has that much more bite and makes it that harder to turn? I appreciate all the suggestions so keep them coming!
59turbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

They run a much higher spring rate on the front arm of the Rxc than a regular 6 or 8000. That makes them more difficult to get to turn, but you are on the right path. As far as the overrev, if you are that much over 8200, that's probably a good sign you are making good power. 68 or even better, 70g weights would help. I would go 70, then you could grind off if needed.
59turbo likes this.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 440 View Post
They run a much higher spring rate on the front arm of the Rxc than a regular 6 or 8000. That makes them more difficult to get to turn, but you are on the right path. As far as the overrev, if you are that much over 8200, that's probably a good sign you are making good power. 68 or even better, 70g weights would help. I would go 70, then you could grind off if needed.
I see many saying they have a hard time breaking or even reaching 90mph. I saw 90 manipulating the throttle on the second tank of fuel. By manipulating I mean I couldnít just put it to the bar, I had to use half throttle to get to 85 due to over rev and then just squeezing it a bit more to see 90. I didnít use full throttle to get there so Iím hoping itís got decent top end, not that I bought this sled for top end but Iíd like it to be mid 90s anyway.
I will soften up the front track spring a bit for sure before shortening the limiter so I donít lose much travel on the front arm. Iíll hopefully get there sooner rather than later.
Fast 440 likes this.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer

Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Riding Since: 1974

Don't touch the strap and don't touch the weights (yet). Learn the intricacies of the sled's suspension adjustments and adjust your riding style a bit. The skis are a weak point on the PC. Learn to deal with them or throw them away and put something proper on there.

It was your first ride on a new chassis for you. I can take weeks or longer to get my sled dialed in the way I want it after I buy it. But I don't start tearing at it right away....that's how people fuck up their sleds then end up selling it because "it didn't work".
vince, Fast 440, nosajlleb and 3 others like this.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

Yeah and before I touch anything I measure the spring and write it down so you can always go back to square one if needed. And I write down every adjustment I do too just to keep track of things. It helps
vince and 59turbo like this.
mnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer

Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Riding Since: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstang View Post
Yeah and before I touch anything I measure the spring and write it down so you can always go back to square one if needed. And I write down every adjustment I do too just to keep track of things. It helps
Smart people do this. I've got pages of adjustments and alternate adjustments recorded. It matters.
59turbo and p51mstg like this.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59turbo View Post
First day conditions were typical hardback groomed trail, not mealy or sugary at all and very cold with a high of about 4 degrees in northern Maine. It over revved right off the bat like 8300++ from mile zero. I feel that traction wasn’t an issue as it felt like it hooked up well and I have 2 studs per row and they’re 1.450 long. I didn’t think about clutches binding to tell you the truth. I figured Cat didn’t really care about clutching on that sled since racers would reclutch anyways. I’m still comparing the handling to my buddy’s 2018 that was riding with me to my sled so conditions are the same and his was significantly better. I will look at the front skid shock and will probably pull up the limiter cuz I do that on every sled I’ve owned, I just like that feel but his zr8000 hasn’t been touched at all so I don’t know, I was really expecting it to carve but maybe the track has that much more bite and makes it that harder to turn? I appreciate all the suggestions so keep them coming!
I have about 400 miles on my 2020 RXC and am running 96 1.45 gold diggers and curves with 6" bars. I haven't touched anything except for transfer blocks on 3/7, rear preload on 2 both sides and all QS3's on position 2. This is my first procross as well. The main reason I bought this sled is because of how the ergonomics allow you to really crowd the tank and side panels while cornering. I rode a Riot at a demo day and this was the first thing I noticed about the sled. Also, given how high the roll center is on the front end I find the RXC responds extremely well to on-power steering, especially in deep holes/chop. Put your nuts on the tank and let it rip. I find the clutching allows for really good power modulation too, which seems to be the best way to directly influence how the sled corners. Given the spring rates spec'd on the sled it doesn't seem like there is a big opportunity for the type of improvement you are looking for going that route. I would adjust your riding style first and log some more miles before getting too crazy...my opinions.

Also, in regards to the top speed....I ride this thing like a leaf blower so as long as it closes in on 90 on most days its not gonna change my opinions about the 600. It will come out of a corner very strong though!
Fast 440, 59turbo and rxl440x like this.

Last edited by Sledneck6000; 01-21-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Sledneck6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck6000 View Post
I have about 400 miles on my 2020 RXC and am running 96 1.45 gold diggers and curves with 6" bars. I haven't touched anything except for transfer blocks on 3/7, rear preload on 2 both sides and all QS3's on position 2. This is my first procross as well. The main reason I bought this sled is because of how the ergonomics allow you to really crowd the tank and side panels while cornering. I rode a Riot at a demo day and this was the first thing I noticed about the sled. Also, given how high the roll center is on the front end I find the RXC responds extremely well to on-power steering, especially in deep holes/chop. Put your nuts on the tank and let it rip. I find the clutching allows for really good power modulation too, which seems to be the best way to directly influence how the sled corners. Given the spring rates spec'd on the sled it doesn't seem like there is a big opportunity for the type of improvement you are looking for going that route. I would adjust your riding style first and log some more miles before getting too crazy...my opinions.

Also, in regards to the top speed....I ride this thing like a leaf blower so as long as it closes in on 90 on most days its not gonna change my opinions about the 600. It will come out of a corner very strong though!
I love the engine but I definitely didn’t buy this sled for top speed and I like how crisp the engine is but I just want to bring the top rpm down so it’s not so far out of the powerband. I’m going to try a spring in the primary first that’s 30lbs softer at compression and see what that does.

I’m studded similar to you but all my shocks are set at 1 although I did put the skis on 2 which seemed to help, I really don’t want to throw skis at it yet but I will if I need to. The rear coupler is fully coupled now and rear spring preload is on 1. I didn’t have any tools with me to change ski spring preload which I think would help, I plan on doing that before I go on my next trip along with softening up the front arm spring. Thanks for the suggestions.
I also only have just under 400 miles so far.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 850 XCR Indy 2018 6000 RXC 2017 9000 RR
Previous Sled(s): Lot's of Yamaha's
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1980

I have a 2020 6000 R XC and feel its the best handling sled I have ever owned and I have 2020 XCR and 2019 8000 Eltigre and 2018 6000 R XC. I am running curve ski with 6" shapers. Front spring preload at 1/8" and front skid shock at 3/8" preload torsion spring 1 medium 1 soft (I am 190 rider) Its a slot car in corners compared to my other sleds. New front and rear skid work really good IMO It does over rev but first thing you should do is switch your helix from 38 to 40. They do come stock with both just swap x on helix on your secondary. I also changed my primary spring with little softer one forget exact pound but will look and get back with you. Runs right at 8150 to 8200 now. Changing helix will make it pull a lot harder alone. Stock ski's suck IMO but at least try some shaper bars will help the push. Good luck
1200X, 59turbo and 12meter joe like this.
team1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement