16' Procross 800HO Budget Upgrades!!! - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

Well studs and earplugs are the best advice you'll get in here.
mnstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): Pair of 16' AC ZR8000 137"
Previous Sled(s): 99' Z440 98' Z440 91' Jag440
19-20 Mileage: 680
18-19 Mileage: 2600
17-18 Mileage: 2500
16-17 Mileage: 350
Riding Since: 1988

I expected this thread would get ruined but hey figured I would at least try to have a little bit of good conversation until it snows again LOL! All forums, social media is the same.

Any other upgrades besides Riot Riot Riot Riot oh yeah do the Riot kit

How about clutch or exhaust side panel venting? I saw a few kits but could also just order whatever frogskin sizes would work, they are pretty reasonable and there's quite a few options.
offshorexcursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 TZ1 Turbo, 2020 Rene 900ace,2015 XF 8000
Previous Sled(s): Turbos and Panteras
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2850
16-17 Mileage: 3280
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshorexcursion View Post
Interested in any advice or upgrades on my wife's and my sleds. Also thought I would share our upgrades so far. Enjoying keeping the budget low on these sleds but still can't leave anything alone lol! Upgrading to Riots next year! We ride aggressive, 70/30 on/off trail. Absolutely LOVE them! Over 5700 miles and only replaced 1 water pump seal which was under wrnty. Running APV oil and 91-93 octane.

Pair of 2016 ZR8000 137" (New in 18' from Ken's Sports as Leftovers)

Y-Pipes
Trail Cans
Frogskinz intake circles
Derlin Washers Secondary
Dalton Adjustable Weights Primary
Primary Springs
Procross handguards
Tunnel Flares
Medium Tunnel bags
Pro Armor Teathers
Intake Air Temp Sensor Relocation
Removed Coupling Blocks
Skis on Narrow
Float 3 55psi while lifted
For my money, I'd have all four shocks on each of your sleds rebuilt/revalved by a reputable builder and designed for each rider....There is no way your set up should be the same as your wife's. Then, I'd spend considerable time setting up each machine. Ski alignment is a time consuming project on ProCross sleds and IMO is the single most important thing on modern sleds. Pulling coupling blocks on the 137 does add some transfer for better launch/off trail, but I'd be willing to bet you'd find better trail handling with the blocks in and set on 1....Once the basics are done with alignment and all, then it becomes an issue of balance......The front skid shock spring is where it's at.....A single turn on the spring can create a handling disaster or a handling miracle.....
baydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): Pair of 16' AC ZR8000 137"
Previous Sled(s): 99' Z440 98' Z440 91' Jag440
19-20 Mileage: 680
18-19 Mileage: 2600
17-18 Mileage: 2500
16-17 Mileage: 350
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydog View Post
For my money, I'd have all four shocks on each of your sleds rebuilt/revalved by a reputable builder and designed for each rider....There is no way your set up should be the same as your wife's. Then, I'd spend considerable time setting up each machine. Ski alignment is a time consuming project on ProCross sleds and IMO is the single most important thing on modern sleds. Pulling coupling blocks on the 137 does add some transfer for better launch/off trail, but I'd be willing to bet you'd find better trail handling with the blocks in and set on 1....Once the basics are done with alignment and all, then it becomes an issue of balance......The front skid shock spring is where it's at.....A single turn on the spring can create a handling disaster or a handling miracle.....
Great info Thanks! I agree 100% on the shocks! Been wanting to have them rebuilt and upgraded but don't even know where to start. Overall we are happy with them but I'm sure they could be way better. You would think that after almost 6000 miles we would notice the wear but the sleds sure seem to ride and drive the same as new. I know many recommend rebuilding them every season. My wife is 115lbs and I'm 165lbs and the only difference now are her front Floats are about 10psi less than mine. She actually rides just as aggressive as I do if not more plus rides enduro, stand up jet skis, and races our cigarette boat. But definitely going to look into our shocks and have them rebuilt and tuned for us. Or do you think buying different shocks are worth the extra cost? I actually like the float 3s but don't know how good the AC skid shocks are.

We have adjusted ski alignment and it was a pain.

I tried the coupling blocks on 1, the thinnest, for a couple 1000 miles and actually cut the block down as thin as it will go for a while but we both prefer to run them out. The sleds are SO much more fun especially off trail. They still handle plenty good on trail, can't really tell much of a difference when riding aggressive. Kristy was hesitant at first so we only took them out of my sled and kept trading back and forth.

offshorexcursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 TZ1 Turbo, 2020 Rene 900ace,2015 XF 8000
Previous Sled(s): Turbos and Panteras
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2850
16-17 Mileage: 3280
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Great info Thanks! I agree 100% on the shocks! Been wanting to have them rebuilt and upgraded but don't even know where to start. Overall we are happy with them but I'm sure they could be way better. You would think that after almost 6000 miles we would notice the wear but the sleds sure seem to ride and drive the same as new. I know many recommend rebuilding them every season. My wife is 115lbs and I'm 165lbs and the only difference now are her front Floats are about 10psi less than mine. She actually rides just as aggressive as I do if not more plus rides enduro, stand up jet skis, and races our cigarette boat. But definitely going to look into our shocks and have them rebuilt and tuned for us. Or do you think buying different shocks are worth the extra cost? I actually like the float 3s but don't know how good the AC skid shocks are.

I tried the coupling blocks on 1, the thinnest, for a couple 1000 miles and actually cut the block down as thin as it will go for a while but we both prefer to run them out. The sleds are SO much more fun especially off trail. They still handle plenty good on trail, can't really tell much of a difference when riding aggressive. Kristy was hesitant at first so we only took them out of my sled and kept trading back and forth.

Sounds like you are on the right track......I send all our shocks to Carver Performance and have been super happy with the results....For example, I am 200+- and my wife is 120+-......After shock work, I can't even ride her sled without bottoming(she says she never bottoms) and she says mine beats the crap out of her......IMO Cat stock shock valving is horrible no matter what shock package....
baydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

I adjust my front skis springs 3/8-1/2" at a time, my floats by 15-20lbs, do ski alignment when the sled is new and never again. But I rebuild my shocks every year and adjust clutch weights in .2-.5g increments. It's neat how everybody does stuff different.
stronger800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18XC 16ZR-T 16ZR 15XC 15RR 14RR 12ZR 10SP
Previous Sled(s): Not Enough Room!
Favorite Riding Area: Out my home & Northern Mn/Wi
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3244
17-18 Mileage: 2780
16-17 Mileage: 1630
Riding Since: 1976

Quote:

Hygearsuspension.com also has some cool add-ons. I would recommend the Dual Chambers for the front Floats and the Dual Rate spring kit for the center shock.

The nice thing with the Dual Chambers is they have 2 separate air chambers, 1 for slower speed bump compliance going down the trail and a 2nd chamber for higher speed big bump compliance when you come to the bottom of a hill or a big whoop, you can also set your front ride height.

offshorexcursion likes this.

Active member and Trail Coordinator North Branch Snow Drifters
F7RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 El Tigre
Previous Sled(s): 2015 El Tigre, 2014 El Tigre, 2003 ZL 600
Favorite Riding Area: the hills of Western Wisconsin
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1650
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 900
Riding Since: 1972

I may be a dumb ass here. But in your initial post you stated you were getting new riots next year. I don't have money to throw away. And that is what I think you will be doing if you spend a penny on a 6000 mile sled that you have no intention of keeping. They probably need the shocks rebuilt. But I personally would only do Maintenance type work at this point.
15tigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ALMOST sledless ....
Previous Sled(s): too many Cats.......way too many ...
Favorite Riding Area: VT,Tug Hill, Moosehead/Rangley
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1633
17-18 Mileage: 1-ish
16-17 Mileage: 11-ish
Riding Since: 1975

Quote:

Awesome kit but sorta pointless since I already have most of the parts already.
Quote:
Wow great contribution to this forum. Instead of just posting "riot kit" why didn't you explain which other parts I should add and why, instead of just trying to insult me claiming I "don't understand how the LTS head works". Understanding how it works and wanting to install it on my sleds are two different things.

The Riot Kit may be the best possible upgrades for and 800HO, but some people enjoy to be different, enjoy the build themselves, enjoy the tech discussion, have a different budget, etc. In my case I have a friend that gives me dealer cost on most of the parts I have bought. He is not a dealer for D&D. So the the cost on my parts VS performance gain is a drastically better value than what the Riot Kit would have been for my situation. And guess what we LOVE our sleds, and ride them alot.

First off, I was not insulting you. Your post (copied above at top) insinuates that you know what the Riot Kit consists of. So my stating that you don't know how the LTS head works was simply a statement based on your "it's pointless" comment. If you didn't understand, then my comment could have invoked some research on your part as these things have been discussed on these pages over and over again. Or simply a question on here for an explanation ....which I see has been provided with the aid of other posters on here since I was last on here.

However, you are the 1st to throw an insult with your "wow great contribution to this forum" .... Do a search of what I have contributed in the past to this forum. Just with my dyno postings from the ctec2 motor on my 2018 and 2019 alone..... at my cost for the testing, free for everyone else to view. Then look into the amount of help I've given others on setting up the DCS shock systems especially as used on the SnoPro 500s and ProCross RRs. And I could go on. So I didn't explain with every micro-detail the way a LTS head was designed to work .... I didn't figure I had. I gave you enough credit that you would either find out why and how the design works or ask.

However, it is people like you who have made it such an uninviting situation to share anything on these forums anymore. You have good information here from some good knowledgeable members (Stronger800, F7Rat, Klymaxr, 04red, mnstang, etc)
... all of who have been on here for many years and share freely tons of information. Don't take that free advice for granted. Some day it may not be here.

Also, I agree .. with 6000+ miles on the sleds ... and the planned replacement with ctec2 powered sleds.... I'd rebuild shocks, do some adjustments to the suspension settings, and ride them for this season. You will basically be starting all over next season with the new motors.....

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233 LE
Scuba year 'round
Australia and South Pacific Islands

taperk600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 17 ZR9000
Previous Sled(s): 15XF800,13 800RR,04F7, 04/5 revs, 99zr600, others..
Favorite Riding Area: UP, &oceana co. area
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1600
17-18 Mileage: 1450
16-17 Mileage: 600
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
I expected this thread would get ruined but hey figured I would at least try to have a little bit of good conversation until it snows again LOL! All forums, social media is the same.

Any other upgrades besides Riot Riot Riot Riot oh yeah do the Riot kit

How about clutch or exhaust side panel venting? I saw a few kits but could also just order whatever frogskin sizes would work, they are pretty reasonable and there's quite a few options.
yes this right here, then add a turbo to produce enough HP to blow belts enough to justify the vents. If you are blowing belts on a non turbo sled then thats where I would start, clutching.
04redsnopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement